Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
i suggest we take all these changes in stride

TheCoon
Lorien

Jun 27 2013, 12:31pm

Post #1 of 19 (1138 views)
Shortcut
i suggest we take all these changes in stride Can't Post

remember how pissed we all were when we heard things like the elves at helms deep and sarumans death etc in LOTR then we finally saw the films and did those scenes really drastically screw up the overall story? no! they did not there were still EPIC films and very true to the books andi cant imagine any adaptation being as good as PJs im sure these changes in DOS will have the same effect

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 28 2013, 2:41pm)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 12:49pm

Post #2 of 19 (657 views)
Shortcut
My biggest fear [In reply to] Can't Post

Strangely enough, my biggest fear is PJ going overboard on OTT action and CGI. I thought there was a lot in AUJ and was hoping for less of that in the next 2 films but it sounds like there's going to be even more of it,especially with legolas and Tuariel. I just want to see Legolas be a normal elf. But I'm fearing that PJ will use him for some really OTT stuff.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2013, 12:53pm

Post #3 of 19 (623 views)
Shortcut
I'm really trying my best to take the changes in stride... [In reply to] Can't Post

But every time I see Azog on-screen, I can't help but say to myself "You're supposed to be DEAD!!!!" It takes me out of the film. Same with the whole "Nazgul in tombs" business.

But I get what you mean - elves at Helm's Deep and the early death of Saruman are pretty drastic changes in themselves.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jun 27 2013, 12:57pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 12:56pm

Post #4 of 19 (595 views)
Shortcut
You know what... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're 100% correct. I was pretty upset yesterday, but it's all pretty useless until we see the darn 3 hour movie that comes out in December.

Three cheers for this post by TheCoon! Smile And goodbye TORn, see you in December. I've already spoiled myself too much and I don't want to repeat my experience with AUJ.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Jun 27 2013, 12:58pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 1:08pm

Post #5 of 19 (510 views)
Shortcut
Totally Agree Coon, Thang you Berry Buch...Bomby// [In reply to] Can't Post

kareniel
Lorien

Jun 27 2013, 1:42pm

Post #6 of 19 (497 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! I think this film might be my fave of the trilogy. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 2:30pm

Post #7 of 19 (526 views)
Shortcut
Here is something that might Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

In College in 1971, Bomby took a Senior Communications Seminar.
The Main Book was Alvin Toffler's "Future Shock"
Well, Bomby has witnessed THIS for 40+ years.

1. Acceleration,
2. Diversity
3. Novelty

COLLIDE?

1. Acceleration of Technology (NEW 3D at 48 HFR? & Dolby Atmos sound)

2. Novelty (New & Added characterizations, Plotlines)

3. Diversity ("...It could have been Better, IF..?
or "...That's NOT what I WANTED to see!")

Some people react different ways. Some just go numb..Confused...
Some get Outraged, since "This is Not what I had hoped for?"
Some people just get quiet and think things through,
... and then just go with the Universal Flow?

PJ? to Bomby's mind
has the 3 Qualities we are sooo fortunate to have.

1. LOVE of the Story.

2. HONOR of the many Canon elements.

3. A WILLING Heart? To go out on a limb,
and present to the World...
his, and our favorite story.

Doen't THAT sound a littl' familier?

Bomby
(Every great story deserves a Little Embellishment)

Marionette
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 3:15pm

Post #8 of 19 (421 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

(Excluding the LOTR, I was upset before watching the movise and still was upset after watching the movies)
I was like that before the AUJ release, after knowing all the rumours, that The Hobbit is going to be three movies with a lot of addings, the changes, "younger and hotter Thorin, how can be posible, that´s outrageous" I was thinking like that Smile

When I saw the movie I was utterly OK with everything Smile

Maybe because the Hobbit is a different book tan the LOTR, that´s it.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Old Toby
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 3:53pm

Post #9 of 19 (403 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you on this, Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

There are those who just cannot let go of the book for any reason. I think in many ways those who have never read the book are in a much better position. They see the movies as they are in their own rights, and can appreciate or critique them from a completely neutral point of view in that regards. All my friends who have not read the books have loved all the films, both LOTR & AUJ because they went in without any preconceptions. It's interesting that you mention the technology, because I think technology with all its incredible advances lately, in this case particularly in the film industry, has a large part in how an audience judges a film. Just look at all the superhero movies being made now that are completely dependent on the special effects; the actors and story are more like sidelines.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Noria
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 6:36pm

Post #10 of 19 (322 views)
Shortcut
Great post and responses [In reply to] Can't Post

None of the trailers, posters, articles and sound bytes will really convey what DoS will be like. We won't know until we see it.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 8:37pm

Post #11 of 19 (252 views)
Shortcut
Yes, please [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not on board with all the changes in AUJ but by and large they don't ruin the experience for me. Of course I am not as invested in TH as I am in LOTR where the movie changes for me were a lot more difficult to take.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 9:31pm

Post #12 of 19 (239 views)
Shortcut
I roll with most [In reply to] Can't Post

There are things that I don't like and I've mentioned them but for the most part I feel these movies are very well done movies with the spirit/heart of Middle-earth or Tolkien in them. Jackson has done a great job of creating a movieverse version of Middle-earth that I can go to and get the same love, escapism, relaxation, etc that I get when I read the books. So when I see changes I don't enjoy some of them like Frodo sending Sam away or some of the changes to the Dwarven History I just have to let it play out to see how much I don't like it. I'll end this ramble sort of how I started in that these movies feel as much like Middle-earth as the books do. Cool

Rostron2
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 9:40pm

Post #13 of 19 (232 views)
Shortcut
+1 on this point [In reply to] Can't Post

Well said.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 9:54pm

Post #14 of 19 (217 views)
Shortcut
Not letting go of the book [In reply to] Can't Post

The movies are based on the book. Without the book, there is no movie. The production of the movie is so closely intertwined with the book itself that I don't think it's unrealistic to see them as so closely associated.

I'm glad that it works for those who have not read the book, but for me, there's no way to separate the two.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 10:09pm

Post #15 of 19 (241 views)
Shortcut
I expect to find changes in an adaptation... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that the filmmakers will put their own stamp on their work. At the same time, I want to recognize the book when I watch the movie and I want to recognize elements of Tolkien's larger Middle-earth as well. Is that too much?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 2:58am

Post #16 of 19 (180 views)
Shortcut
Apparently it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

sad to say Unsure

hobbitylass
Bree

Jun 28 2013, 3:18am

Post #17 of 19 (179 views)
Shortcut
you and Thorin both! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but that's the same reaction Thorin had in the movie when he saw Azog alive ("You're supposed to be dead!")

And now whenever I see that scene after Balin tells the story of Thorin at the battle of Azanulbizar, when Thorin says that Azog is dead and Balin and Gandalf exchange a meaningful glance, in my head I'll imagine Balin thinking to himself, "Oh, laddie, well we're not in the book now, are we?"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 5:50am

Post #18 of 19 (158 views)
Shortcut
Bomby perfers the High Road to Ereabor.. [In reply to] Can't Post

the NZ Scenery is Better?

Despite any Faults?
PJ, GETS... it.

A Note from the "Old Forest"
"..It's Sunny and Bright in Valinor"
telepathically sent from
YOUR Goldberry

hobbitylass
Bree

Jul 2 2013, 2:31am

Post #19 of 19 (41 views)
Shortcut
My apologies, Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant no offense!

My thoughts were meant to be tongue-in-cheek but it seems they came out more like foot-in-mouth.

I agree that PJ gets it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.