Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
An effect of 2 to 3 possible spoilers

Michelle Johnston
Lorien

Jul 3 2013, 9:49pm

Views: 34
Shortcut
An effect of 2 to 3 possible spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for highlighting this news. I am certain that one element that has undergone considerable evolution during the process of making the films is the story of Thrain. It will be fascinating much later after all the films have been released to hear how the role evolved but clearly his story is the beneficiary of the movies going 2 to 3. I think Pippa Boyens has suggested it was back story for film one at one stage and its even possible the map and the key was retrieved by Gandalf at Dol Gulder which would have been explained in Bag End as in the book.

However the dialogue in AUJ gave me the sense the map and key were handed over in benign circumstances. Anthony Sher may share scenes with Sir Ian where he explains why he believes it is not his task and possibly they transpose the Bree Meeting of Thorin to Thrain. We know that Thrain was lost at the Battle of A and was probably captured by Azog and taken to Dol Gulder and tortured by Bolg where the ring was taken from him. Antony Shar maybe involved in shooting this part of the story.That back story then sets up a powerful scene where Gandalf enters D G (Its a trap) and a mad and demented Thrain leaps on him. No doubt now this is real time as Glamdring is clearly visible. Gandalf manages to pacify Thrain and Thrain promises to help him in Dol Gulder and lead him either out or to witness its secrets the Dwarf leading Gandalf in the blog. I suspect the result of this encounter is Thrain partly healed redeems himself so Gandalf can "barely escape" and this leads to Thrains death. Gandalf probably encounters Bolg and recognises the evil of DG for what it is and escapes to report to the second white council who then come together to act against Dol Gulder.

What leads him to Dol Gulder is not to look for Thrain, that as in the book and appendices is a bi product of his visit, but to seek for evidence of Sauron's reintegration. In the films of course the reason for the journey is explained by Radagasts promptings and personal revelations Gandalf makes at the High Fells. At some point Gandalf will explain to Thorin that he is leaving the company and his reasoning will be his findings at High Fells which can be shown as a look back to the cinema audience. That's maybe the answer or its something completely different!

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

Subject User Time
Antony Sher cast as Thrain for DoS? Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 11:02am
    Sher is a great Shakespearean actor, ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse Jun 27 2013, 12:19pm
        Another thing Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 1:38pm
            I also wondered about this. ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse Jun 27 2013, 2:24pm
            Underneath all that prosthetic ... is anyone going to notice? DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jun 27 2013, 3:22pm
                True Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 4:05pm
                Do we have a shot of Thrain in AUJ? // Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 27 2013, 6:45pm
                    Here's the clearest Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 6:48pm
                        Thank you! Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 27 2013, 6:52pm
                            No problem Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 6:56pm
                                I wonder why he was recast Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 27 2013, 7:01pm
                                    I don't think it will be Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 7:05pm
                                        I'll trust you Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 27 2013, 7:07pm
                                            You don't have to take my word for it Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 7:12pm
                                                Well, I'd still be taking someone's word for it Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 27 2013, 7:21pm
                                            Does the fact that.. glor Send a private message to glor Jun 28 2013, 5:21pm
                                                Sir, sir!? Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 29 2013, 6:37pm
            Youngish Thrain/Older Thrain IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Jun 27 2013, 8:33pm
    Very curious.. Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Jun 27 2013, 8:36pm
    Really Interesting TheSexyBeard Send a private message to TheSexyBeard Jun 27 2013, 9:59pm
    He already looks exactly like thrain ! look thos pictures ! Fŕfnir Send a private message to Fŕfnir Jun 28 2013, 1:10am
        Hey they do look little similar TheSexyBeard Send a private message to TheSexyBeard Jun 28 2013, 4:49pm
    I'm sure I'm missing something obvious... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jun 28 2013, 4:25am
        Mike Mizrahi, I think. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jun 28 2013, 8:04am
            There's a mention of both Mizrahi and Jeffrey Thomas ... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jun 28 2013, 10:31am
                Thanks Eleniel :-) DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jun 28 2013, 1:29pm
                    Perhaps Mizrahi was unavailable for the new shoot Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jun 28 2013, 1:46pm
                        Perhaps Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 28 2013, 2:06pm
    An effect of 2 to 3 possible spoilers Michelle Johnston Jul 3 2013, 9:49pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.