Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Barry Humphries back in DOS?

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 10:57pm

Post #1 of 3 (975 views)
Shortcut
Barry Humphries back in DOS? Can't Post

Hey guys I read somewhere that our beloved Dame Edna alias Barry Humphries alias the Great Goblin will return for DOS playing again a motion capture character called Gorkin. I'm pretty sure that I found it on IMBd once but I wanted to check it out today but wasn't able to find it. It also was on wikipedia everywhere but is only to be found in the "Middle-earth in film" article but nowhere else anymore. Why? Was it only a mistake of someone?

I remember a character called Gorkil the Goblin King from the game Battle For Middle-earth II. So is Gorkin a hommage to Gorkil? Is Gorkin the successor of the Great Goblin and the new king of Goblintown? Does he join Azogs and Bolgs forces later to take revenge on the Dwarves? Is Gorkin the Great Goblin? Or is it nothing and there won't be a character called Gorkin in DOS played/voiced by Barry Humphries?

I would be very thankful if someone of you could help me! Thanks!

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Jun 27 2013, 7:14am

Post #2 of 3 (256 views)
Shortcut
IMDB and Wikipedia are the worst sources of movie news pre-release [In reply to] Can't Post

Those two pages you listed as sources are the most faulty ways to get info about films.

Take IMDB. Before a film is released, the pages are edited entirely by fans of the project, many of who are either just speculating (e.g. what actor/filmmakers they want involved in a given project) or who want to generate rumors. It's only in the week or two prior to release that someone involved with the production (i.e. a PR intern) is dispatched with a professional IMDB account to go in, fix the page up so it's reporting factual info, and locks all other users out from tinkering with the credits. For a good example of how this little practice screwed a film over recently, look up how the IMDB page for Star Trek Into Darkness spoiled the reveal that Cumberbatch's character was Khan.

Also, Wikipedia entries for films that are either in development or are pending regularly contain false information. A lot of this has to do with that fact that the people who edit the pages are getting their info from IMDB. Other times it's because, despite WIki's best intentions, there is no way for the admins to check and see if every piece of info on a page is work cited, up to date, and non-biased. So, basically, IMDB and Wiki form a virtual Ouroboros of movie misinformation.

So, until we have confirmation from Humphries, Jackson and Co, or Warners that the man behind Dame Edna is coming back for another mobcap role, it's probably best to assume it's a rumor, and likely a bogus one at that.

(This post was edited by easterlingchief1 on Jun 27 2013, 7:15am)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2013, 10:07am

Post #3 of 3 (225 views)
Shortcut
BOSA,BONA the battle of endless armies [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you read what PJ told to empiremagazine? This may turn out to be true, perhaps the goblins join to the cause and there is more than five armies in TABACrazy

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.