Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Lets just say Pj had the rights to Tolkien's other works, is there anything you wish had made in it, and think would have benefitted the films?

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 7:01pm

Post #1 of 14 (792 views)
Shortcut
Lets just say Pj had the rights to Tolkien's other works, is there anything you wish had made in it, and think would have benefitted the films? Can't Post

I know this is a kinda depressing subject, and ultimately a bit pointless since it can't happen (and I would likely end up complaining about the results if it did), but since PJ seems to be throwing everything up to and including the kitchen sink (scratch that, everything bolted down in the house) into the films, is there anything from the other books you wish could have made it into the films?

For example, I would have liked to see The Quest for Erebor, and the extended 'Durin's folk' passages from The Peoples of Middle Earth used in the film-it would have given Thorin's backstory a more canon depth (and providing some interesting info about Dwarvish culture) as well as a few things from the History of The Hobbit ( I know its alternate or abandoned writing but it could hardly have annoyed Tolkien more than Tauriel and Azog)-there is a reference to Beorn's abilites being down to a curse from the Goblins (As good a reason as any), and at one Point Fili was iintended to be njured and captured by Thranduil's elves outside Erebor (that would have been really interesting to see Thorin react to that!), in the 1960 rewrite they stay in Bree and the Trolls destroy the bridge leading to Rivendell-It is padding yes, but some of it would have been nice to see and given the story a little more depth wihtout impiging on its structure.

Given that Jimmy Nesbitt is apparently to sing 'The Man in the Moon' in the films at some point, it would have been a nice nod to the fans if there was a quick shot or two of Bilbo taking notes-wasn't he listed as the 'author' in The Adventures of Tom Bombadil?

Other than that making the links between The Hobbit and The Silmarillion (The Fall of Gondolin, The Necklace of the Dwarves) a little more obvious could have been cool.

How about you, anything else you wnated to see? Or is The Hobbit sinking under enough added weight anyway?

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 7:33pm

Post #2 of 14 (391 views)
Shortcut
No--nothing. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit scripts are already too Lord-of-the-Rings to do the story justice and if you just add more irrelevant material from sources such as the Silmarillion it would soon become something completely unrecognizable.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 7:36pm

Post #3 of 14 (387 views)
Shortcut
Nothing from the Silm [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe some backstory on the dwarves, thorin, the meeting in bree, nothing else really...

Now, how about some Farmer Guilles of Ham material?Tongue

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 7:54pm

Post #4 of 14 (367 views)
Shortcut
Farmer Giles [In reply to] Can't Post

They'd probably make Chrystophlax Smaug's brother and make Gandalf ride him on the assuault on Dol Goldur.

But I agree more Dwarvish backstory would have been nice

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 8:13pm

Post #5 of 14 (346 views)
Shortcut
See the question is more of a [In reply to] Can't Post

when does all the enhancing, embellishment, deviating, inventing, expanding etc , crosses a line that could be said is disrespectfull fo the original material and doesnt quite stay on the same level as the original story.

For me this line has already been crossed.

So, no more infusing of the hobbit story with extraenous material, for me.

Basically, i consider bilbo and the hobbits and the dwarves as the two main subjects of any successfull expansion...

Beyond that, its venturing into the unknown.

Wink

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 26 2013, 8:14pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2013, 1:54am

Post #6 of 14 (276 views)
Shortcut
Not after what he's done with the Appendices material... [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, he's mangled the history of the dwarves, the history of Mirkwood/Sauron's re-emergence/Gandalf's forays into Dol Guldur, and the history of the Nazgul after the fall of Angmar. So as much as I hate to say it after how much I loved the LOTR films, I'm happy Jackson can't touch any more of Tolkien's work.

Nunilo
Bree

Jun 27 2013, 3:37am

Post #7 of 14 (245 views)
Shortcut
The Meeting in Bree [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see some more of Bree, and it would be interesting to watch Thorin there interacting with men, and to see a bit more of what he was like before he started his quest.

That said, I don't think it would benefit the movie, and it would probably detract from the impact of having all the dwarves turn up on Bilbo's doorstep (unless it was a flashback). But if it was an extra or deleted scene, I would enjoy watching it.

utku
Rivendell

Jun 27 2013, 9:18am

Post #8 of 14 (207 views)
Shortcut
I know this is going to be a controversial opinion but [In reply to] Can't Post

I would prefer if he made Arkenstone turn out to be one of the Silmarils. Specifically the one Maedhros did something something with. That way if Silmarillion ever gets to be adapted, its events would have a more direct relation to the Hobbit trilogy.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 11:01am

Post #9 of 14 (171 views)
Shortcut
I don't find the idea depressing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I don't see any real need for more material either. Seems to me there's plenty of scope in what they have already and, with a few minor gripes, I really enjoy the film. And look forward to what's coming. It's not really about what I want - the film isn't that and never could be anyway, any more than the previous films could. For me it's about embracing their version and trying to understand where they're coming from and what they've used as a source for the changes and the things they've added.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 11:58am

Post #10 of 14 (155 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see Fastitocalon... [In reply to] Can't Post

...integrated somehow into the plot of the movies.

Evil

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2013, 12:33pm

Post #11 of 14 (149 views)
Shortcut
I think that would work a lot better... [In reply to] Can't Post

In a Silmarillion movie. Like the link between Hobbit - Bilbo finds what seems to be just a cool magic ring. In FotR, where it matters, we get the whole backstory of the Rings of Power, Isildur, Smeagol, etc. and learn is it the One Ring.

Explaining what a Silmaril even is would be long and involved.

joec_34
Rivendell

Jun 27 2013, 12:58pm

Post #12 of 14 (141 views)
Shortcut
Early Settlements as Described in Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

I would've loved to see a brief overview of the history of Dwarves that extends beyond Erebor and the battle of Azanulbizar. A brief glimpse of Khazad-dum, Nogrod, & Belegost would've been nice; perhaps the bit about the dwarves fighting in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad and Azaghal stabbing Glaurung...maybe even a bit about the Nauglamir. I would've enjoyed a cursory overview of these things--something similar to the intro in FOTR. If done well, it could've nicely given the dwarves more depth than the quest for Erebor.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Theoden
The Shire

Jun 29 2013, 7:03pm

Post #13 of 14 (51 views)
Shortcut
The problem is [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem is, that would not be The Hobbit anymore. IMHO PJ included too much content from the Appendices as it is, the main story will likely be unrecognizable in DOS.

Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises!
Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!

Death! Death!! DEATH!!!
Forth, Eorlingas!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 10:20pm

Post #14 of 14 (52 views)
Shortcut
absolutely not [In reply to] Can't Post

it would mean more half baked dialogue. I still cant figure out why on earth Bilbo would give Gandalf courage,

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.