Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
New Zealand LotR tour companies?

Jun 26 2013, 6:00pm

Post #1 of 13 (188 views)
New Zealand LotR tour companies? Can't Post

I plan to travel to NZ in December and am wondering if anyone can recommend a good company for a fun tour of LotR/Hobbit film sites.

I can't spend a fortune, but I would perhaps be willing to go up to $1K US.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Superuser / Moderator

Jun 26 2013, 7:47pm

Post #2 of 13 (133 views)
Here are a few for you: [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbiton Tours: http://www.hobbitontours.com/

Red Carpet Tours: http://redcarpet-tours.com/

Edoras, Lord of the Rings Tours: http://www.hasslefreetours.co.nz/tours/lord-of-the-rings

Nomad Safaris LOTR tours: http://www.nomadsafaris.co.nz/...i-of-the-scenes.html

I've been to Hobbiton (fantastic!) and on a Nomad Safaris tour (really enjoyable) - although one option in Queenstown is to buy Ian Brodie's LOTR location guidebook, hire a car and drive yourself as many of the sites are quite close to each other.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Jun 26 2013, 8:16pm

Post #3 of 13 (116 views)
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, I'm pretty comfortable in rental cars etc. so maybe that is the simplest plan after all.

And if I'm going to be on the S. Island anyway, I presume it would be fairly easy to hook up with a LotR tour company if I decided to go that way.

I'm just trying to buy plane tickets. i'm leading a tour on Tarawa (if you haven't heard of it, you are in the majority) until Nov. 25, then going to Fiji. Going to spend a week or so in AU, then on to NZ. So lots of little plane trips to manage.

Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 8:24pm

Post #4 of 13 (113 views)
I don't know about NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

- But for a thousand dollars, I could do a pretty nifty tour of Tolkien's Oxford

Jun 26 2013, 10:05pm

Post #5 of 13 (101 views)
The only way to get to Edoras is with a tour. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's in a very remote location and on private property. Hasslefree Tours has a great relationship to the owners, and can take you nearly to the top. The guide is extremely knowledgeable, too, and will tell you things you'd never know otherwise. You can see Helm's Deep from there!

I do agree that you can get to most sites near Queenstown on your own with Brodie's book. There are only a few exceptions that are now on closed private land.

Old Toby

Jun 26 2013, 10:24pm

Post #6 of 13 (98 views)
Red Carpet Tours is the best overall tour if you want everything; however [In reply to] Can't Post

they are expensive, even if you are sharing a room. They do take you to all the major sites and it's the way to go if you can afford to do it. Also there's a smaller tour company in Wellington called Wellington Rover Tours, and they offer short day tours around the Wellington area, such as Rivendell, the Isengard and 'get off the road' sites, etc. They were very reasonably priced. Whatever you do, do not miss Hobbiton! Worth the entire trip to NZ IMO! I went with Hobbiton Tours out of Matamata, and it was grand. You just have to get to Matamata on your own steam, but I took a bus there from Auckland no problem.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Jun 26 2013, 10:40pm

Post #7 of 13 (94 views)
Wellington Rover Tours. [In reply to] Can't Post

You may pick up some info about The Hobbit too. At least one location in Wellington was used.

Jun 27 2013, 7:25am

Post #8 of 13 (74 views)
Agree about Hobbiton. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of all the sites I visited in NZ, that was the unforgettable one. You are really there.

Hobbiton and Edoras. If you do no others, those are the two.

All you really have to do is get to Matamata and pay money. Matamata is fairly remote (several hours from wherever you are, which was 1.5 hrs from Rotorua in my case), but once you get to the Shire's Rest they take care of you.

Lily Fairbairn

Jun 27 2013, 2:35pm

Post #9 of 13 (63 views)
I can recommend Red Carpet [In reply to] Can't Post

They're very thorough and have a fund of great stories to go with every site.

Jun 28 2013, 4:10pm

Post #10 of 13 (44 views)
I went on one of theirs [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Wellington area... and it was FANTASTIC! Great driver/host, great group, great tour :) We even had lunch at what was formerly The Chocolate Fish (now Scorching Bay) where the hobbits hung out.

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Jun 30 2013, 9:16pm

Post #11 of 13 (35 views)
So can I! in fact, I refer to it as "The Vacation of a Lifetime"! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I intend to go on another Red Carpet Tour of LOTR movie locations again after the final Hobbit movie has premiered. I prefer to wait until all the fuss has died down. that's what I did in '04 - fewer people on the tour meant a more personal touch - in fact, friendships were formed that endure to this day.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:

Superuser / Moderator

Jun 30 2013, 9:23pm

Post #12 of 13 (30 views)
Welcome, Claywise! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you on TORn! How exciting that you're going to Middle-earth (among the many other beautiful places you mentioned). I've been on the Wellington "Rover" tour as has already been mentioned here and thoroughly enjoyed it. It sounds like there are several good ones to choose from on both the north and south islands. Happy travels! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Sr. Staff

Jul 7 2013, 4:49am

Post #13 of 13 (42 views)
Do it yourself [In reply to] Can't Post

You can, definitely can do it yourself. Red Carpet is great and I have sampled Nomad and some others. Pay me $1K and I will come show you around! 8)

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.