Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Nooooooooooooooo!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 25 2013, 7:16pm

Post #26 of 36 (206 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

How about "Yeeessssssssssss!" with a fist pump while the scene is shown in sped up motion with the soundtrack playing "Yakety Sax"?

It could work.

Pippin: "When you guys fall in the forest, does it make a sound?"
Bregalad: "Are you kidding? Scott fell last week and he hasn't shut up about it since!"

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 25 2013, 7:51pm

Post #27 of 36 (188 views)
Shortcut
Not so. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it is realistic - silent shock or near hysteria are much more likely immediate reactions. Screaming and crying, certainly - but 'Noooooo!' like that is, I think, reserved mainly for Hollywood film sets. I'd argue that it's become a cliche because it's a 'big' reaction, but it doesn't make the hero look weak - a form of macho emoting that is used to provide an easy dramatic moment. Real reactions tend to be much more interesting - and a lot more nuanced.

Also, reactions to death/injury in battle in British culture - which is what these films are about - are as likely to be understated as overstated. So, in the case of Azog losing his arm, see Lord Uxbridge and Wellington at Waterloo for a suitable reaction.

Alternatively:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLdk2C25Z14

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 25 2013, 8:01pm

Post #28 of 36 (183 views)
Shortcut
Well, we'll just have to differ there... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say sharp intake of breath and 'No' - probably not drawn out - is a much more natural reaction to something devastating a person sees unfolding in front of them. Hysteria, screaming, crying come later once the thing has happened and the reality sinks in, and depending on the personality involved.

But injury in battle, yes, I give you that - to a point. 'I've lost my leg, Sir'. 'By *** Sir, so you have!.' Very British, But do you honestly expect an Orc to behave like a British gentleman? I don't.

LordGawain
Rivendell

Jun 25 2013, 9:50pm

Post #29 of 36 (159 views)
Shortcut
There are two noooooos in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

One from Thorin at the Azanulbizar flashback, one from Balin as Thorin gets wacked in the face with a mace by Azog.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Jun 25 2013, 10:10pm

Post #30 of 36 (159 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bumble, this is though-provoking. I can see where the reaction of 'noooooooooooooo'
would be more unnatural if anything. 'noooooooooooo' is for an audience's benefits and
makes little sense for the real experience. I would imagine that seeing someone you care
falling in battle would be purely internal with 'nooooooo' being completely irrelevant
and nowhere near commensurate or indicative of the carving internal grief and angst.

The potential problem with a nonverbal reaction might be that it would elicit fear along
with grief and angst rather than sympathy. Sympathy, not fear and insecurity, is more palatable
with the death of a protagonist in cinema. I could very well be mistaken.
This is why I think it would be interesting to see how the production does BoFA and Thorin, Kili, Fili.
Thoughts?

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 26 2013, 10:38am

Post #31 of 36 (106 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think most people will have a deeper reaction to a film death if there is some fear and insecurity in their response - death is supposed to feel unsettling. I think (hope) that the people who can't appreciate this are in the minority - and they can always go and watch Transformers instead.

I thought they handled the death stuff very well in the LOTR trilogy - there was a good range of response and emotion and it rang true.

In my own life, I've seen both reserved, quiet response, and hysteria or near breakdown as response to bereavement. I've never been in battle - certainly not with a load of orcs - but I don't think the Hollywood slo-mo no, as you might call it, has any resemblance to reality. Every time I see it, it takes me back to the movie cliche store room. I just watched the beginning of The Two Towers (reaction to Gandalf's fall), and although they do use it, it's perfectly in context and not done in the usual cliched macho style - so it works well. In The Hobbit, they've just given us the off-the-shelf 'epic' version, which I've already seen in a million films.

As for Azog, he gets worse every time I see him - he goes 'Raar!' at every opportunity - he probably goes 'Raar!' after finishing his porridge in the mornings. He'd be a nightmare to live with.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 26 2013, 11:05am

Post #32 of 36 (101 views)
Shortcut
Orcs pass the port to the right [In reply to] Can't Post

and they've never heard of the Bishop of Norwich, so Azog is definitely not a gentleman. I don't expect him to behave like one - I just want him to behave like a believable creature, not something from a cr*p 80s children's cartoon.

In Reply To

But injury in battle, yes, I give you that - to a point. 'I've lost my leg, Sir'. 'By *** Sir, so you have!.' Very British, But do you honestly expect an Orc to behave like a British gentleman? I don't.

TheCoon
Lorien

Jun 26 2013, 3:38pm

Post #33 of 36 (90 views)
Shortcut
i vote for.... [In reply to] Can't Post

AAAAAAAAAACHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL ;)

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 28 2013, 2:42pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 5:25pm

Post #34 of 36 (75 views)
Shortcut
and while we're at it... [In reply to] Can't Post

movie posters:

Someone memed this, a list of a dozen or so film posters (oh, look, the Empire cover fits it too!!!) alll of which have...

...weapon in hand
...cloudy background
...sparks
...flying debris

Seems Harry Potter, the Avengers, Bruce Willis, Nicholas Cage, Captain America, Batman (or at least the Joker) and some other fine folks have been guilty of this...

and now, we bring you the Empire cover.

http://pinterest.com/pin/498703358707389697/

Go outside and play...

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 26 2013, 8:17pm

Post #35 of 36 (63 views)
Shortcut
I Should have read your post properly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to the link, and just for a second, I thought the first one was a picture of Tauriel (Mr Jackson/Ms Boyens having decided to make her even more 'relevant' to modern audiences). Nearly had an attack of the vapours.

In Reply To
and now, we bring you the Empire cover.

http://pinterest.com/pin/498703358707389697/

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2013, 5:07pm

Post #36 of 36 (53 views)
Shortcut
bwaaaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

...communications 101... I may have erred....

(never thought of that)...

Tauriel & Legolas: hey, it's Natasha and Hawkeye... oh wait, Iron Man did call him Legolas...

Go outside and play...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.