Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
so glad you are on your way to an adventure!

swordwhale
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 5:58pm

Views: 44
Shortcut
so glad you are on your way to an adventure! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile
I live in an area where there are many people who are very conservative (my school is the one Nova did a four hour special on because they tried to introduce Intelligent Design into a science class). They either view imaginative tales (sci-fi or fantasy) as The Root of All Evil, or they just don't get it. On the other hand, I worked with a Mormon girl who I thought was going to be very conservative, and her entire family loved the Harry Potter series, because they understood it WAS A STORY.

Kudos for forming your own life, for getting out of the Hobbit hole and going on an adventure.

I am a fan of the Tolkien books, BUT it took playing D&D (in which I rolled up a character and the DM said "Play an Elf." and I said, "What, like Hermie in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer???" and he said, "Read LOTR."... and seeing the Bakshi debacle (and wanting to see how the story ended)... and having a Star Wars fanatic friend who gave me my first set of LOTR paperbacks. Films are an introduction, for many people, to the world of the books.

And films, necessarily, must tell the tale in a very different way. It is a different medium, and what works in a book does not necessarily work in a film. That doesn't mean you can just turn the whole tale into something else, but you do have to tell it a slightly different way. Also, each new generation, each new audience, will need a different storytelling style.

One of the things that PJ has, which I have seen go missing from some other movies and their creators (oh, let's say, Oz the Great and Powerful, Tangled)... is that he has a very large Inner 12 Year Old who shows creative energy and delight in what he's doing.

Go outside and play...

Subject User Time
The importance of evaluating apples and oranges Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Jun 25 2013, 12:49am
    Sorry Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jun 25 2013, 1:15am
        judging Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Jun 25 2013, 1:44am
            well Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jun 25 2013, 1:34pm
    I totally agree with you shadowdog Send a private message to shadowdog Jun 25 2013, 1:59am
    I agree. Here's my opinion... Misty Mountain Hop Send a private message to Misty Mountain Hop Jun 25 2013, 3:34am
    The Lighter Tone SheHathaldir Send a private message to SheHathaldir Jun 25 2013, 4:08am
    I dont compare LOTR with AUJ Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Jun 25 2013, 12:00pm
        But Elenorflower, are you not comparing AUJ with the LotR trilogy? Noria Send a private message to Noria Jun 25 2013, 12:45pm
            Funny. I read The Hobbit first entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Jun 25 2013, 2:41pm
            i dont think so Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Jun 25 2013, 2:55pm
                So true jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jun 26 2013, 3:00am
                    Personal Opinions SheHathaldir Send a private message to SheHathaldir Jun 26 2013, 3:49am
                        The problem is jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jun 26 2013, 4:00am
    so glad you are on your way to an adventure! swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jun 26 2013, 5:58pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.