Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Support for Sir Peter Jackson
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 12:24pm

Post #76 of 78 (86 views)
Shortcut
If I might be allowed an alternate point of view - [In reply to] Can't Post

- in reply to : "You go to any bookstore and you will find new editions of Tolkien’s books in a prominent place. Bookstore owners wouldn't do that if Tolkien’s books weren't selling like hotcakes. More people are reading Tolkien’s work now than ever before. Why? Because Peter Jackson has introduced people to the world of Tolkien and he has given them an abiding love for the “Tolkien world”. Has anyone else done that? My belief is that if Tolkien himself were alive he would be very grateful to Peter Jackson & crew."

I was working in London during the 80s - I would take every opportunity to go into bookshops and take a look at their Tolkien section - many shops had such a thing. Why? Because Tolkien's book were selling like hot cakes; and the publicity was pretty much word of mouth - people who read Tolkien would tell their friends, and word got around Very much like the early days of Harry Potter. Word of Tolkien's works went on for decades. Tolkien's publisher Rayner Unwin said that his theory of publicity was like that of a spinning top - to keep it going, you had to keep whipping it; and he whipped that top for all its worth! Smile

Apart from all this; I have at home several catalogues of exhibitions of Tolkien's artworks, from the 70s and 80s - not to mention the great exhibition at the Bodleian Library in 1992, held to commemorate the centenary of Tolkien' birth. There would not have been exhibitions such as these if there were not a great interest in the man's life and works. Tolkien was voted top in various 'Book of the Century' style polls towards the end of the 90s.His books were selling in the tens of million, in several dozen languages, before the movies came out. To say that Tolkien's popularity is a result of Jackson and co. is simply not the case. I'd say the opposite is true.

(This post was edited by geordie on Jun 26 2013, 12:28pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26 2013, 1:10pm

Post #77 of 78 (73 views)
Shortcut
I think both are true [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's works are selling well, both before and after the movies. I think during the recent lawsuit there were some estimates of the benefits that the Estate realized due to increased sales of the books, and those estimates were in the tens of millions of dollars. Those benefits were over and above the historical sales of the books, and were attributed to the release of the movies.

Tolkien has always sold well, but he's selling better because of the movies.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 27 2013, 12:11am

Post #78 of 78 (36 views)
Shortcut
I'll repeat what I've said for years... [In reply to] Can't Post

Trust Peter.... It's like having more Tolkien!

Well said, TTW :) You're fabulous!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.