Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Silmarillion Discussion, Chapter 19: Of Beren and Luthien: Love, etc.
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 3 2013, 5:17pm

Post #326 of 344 (8452 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

no, and i'd think again about that great deal he's offering you on that pair of mules.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 5:26pm

Post #327 of 344 (8455 views)
Shortcut
Or that "Ring of Power, one careful owner, one of only 3 ever made, just out of warranty.."// [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 3 2013, 5:42pm

Post #328 of 344 (8467 views)
Shortcut
Typical language in a Mary Sue story. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which of course, it was.

I never called Edith Luthien – but she was the source of the story that in time became the chief part of the Silmarillion. It was first conceived in a small woodland glade filled with hemlocks at Roos in Yorkshire (where I was for a brief time in command of an outpost of the Humber Garrison in 1917, and she was able to live with me for a while). In those days her hair was raven, her skin clear, her eyes brighter than you have seen them, and she could sing – and dance. But the story has gone crooked, & I am left, and I cannot plead before the inexorable Mandos.
-Letter #340

Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 5:50pm

Post #329 of 344 (8423 views)
Shortcut
I've also got a bridge to sell you in a place called Khazad-dum. [In reply to] Can't Post

Great condition, been there centuries. So great that people even fight over it. Here's a photo of what it used to--I mean--looks like. Buy now!

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Jul 3 2013, 5:51pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 6:00pm

Post #330 of 344 (8480 views)
Shortcut
Adore your footer Darkstone! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 6:01pm

Post #331 of 344 (8417 views)
Shortcut
I have been to the Box, and seen the Hobgoblins. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also wrote a painfully long response. That's what you get for opening random boxes.

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 6:10pm

Post #332 of 344 (8433 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, staying out of real estate since the debacle of buying up the Numenorean shoreline… [In reply to] Can't Post

Such an obvious investment too- once they became immortal, I figured, lots of time to spend at the beach…

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 6:25pm

Post #333 of 344 (8395 views)
Shortcut
I would encourage you to consider and Online Kitchen though [In reply to] Can't Post

a great hedge against the apocalypse. They are surprisingly resilient.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 6:33pm

Post #334 of 344 (8397 views)
Shortcut
Me vs Kitchens [In reply to] Can't Post

In real life I'm trying to sell my house, and all the buyers hate my kitchen and all want it to be something else, but of course each person has their own version of kitchen perfection, so I couldn't change it to suit anyone. In frustration, I'm thinking of dynamiting the kitchen Wile E. Coyote-style and leaving a note: "your dream kitchen to appear here!" and let them start from scratch. Probably have to mark the selling price down, though. I am doomed by Kitchenolfin, the Vala of Burnt Muffins and Unsalable Real Estate.

*end of rant*

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 4 2013, 3:31pm

Post #335 of 344 (8423 views)
Shortcut
Well, CG holds that "he" was a conglomerate, not a person at all. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

What, you mean Tolkien was a *bloke*? Shocked

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 4 2013, 3:33pm

Post #336 of 344 (8388 views)
Shortcut
Sorry about your kitchen travails [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe you could just make it a hologram, and change it based on the person's tastes. Just tell them the paint is wet and they can't touch anything. Or even better - just tell them its and Online Kitchen and then give them a website where they can view it. Problem solved!

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 4 2013, 3:38pm

Post #337 of 344 (8429 views)
Shortcut
brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

brilliant, tengwadil.

yes... sorry to hear of your offline kitchen difficulties, curiousg, but perhaps an online solution is just the ticket.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 4 2013, 3:39pm

Post #338 of 344 (8407 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is Fate. The time of the Online Kitchen has come. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 2:09am

Post #339 of 344 (8400 views)
Shortcut
That's what I need [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure online kitchens enable you to cook a meal with a click of a mouse, and even better, clean up with a click too. With minimal knowledge of HTML, you can edit your kitchen to be anything you want, or in my case, anything that buyers want. They all want it "updated," though that was done 10 years ago. Maybe I missed something. Is a dirt fire pit surrounded by rocks really in need of updating? It was good enough for cave men, and classics aren't supposed to go out of style.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 2:27am

Post #340 of 344 (8373 views)
Shortcut
'Acheuelan Minimalist' style. Perfectly valid choice. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm sure online kitchens enable you to cook a meal with a click of a mouse, and even better, clean up with a click too. With minimal knowledge of HTML, you can edit your kitchen to be anything you want, or in my case, anything that buyers want. They all want it "updated," though that was done 10 years ago. Maybe I missed something. Is a dirt fire pit surrounded by rocks really in need of updating? It was good enough for cave men, and classics aren't supposed to go out of style.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 5:43pm

Post #341 of 344 (8364 views)
Shortcut
Google is watching us [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know what that meant, so googling "Acheuelan Minimalist" brought up this very thread as the 1st result, and you wrote that less than 24 hours ago. Of course, if you're looking for a definition of something and Google takes you back to exactly where you first read it, then that's no help. Face it, Google is a junky search engine that is so 2012. I don't know why anyone bothers to use it. [I want to see if that comment shows up too.]

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 7:13pm

Post #342 of 344 (8356 views)
Shortcut
Funny! My typos strike again [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I didn't know what that meant, so googling "Acheuelan Minimalist" brought up this very thread as the 1st result, and you wrote that less than 24 hours ago. Of course, if you're looking for a definition of something and Google takes you back to exactly where you first read it, then that's no help. Face it, Google is a junky search engine that is so 2012. I don't know why anyone bothers to use it. [I want to see if that comment shows up too.]

Coupled with the fact that what I meant to say I typo'd ... Acheulean as in our distant flint-knapping past. But maybe we will start a new trend, some designer will see it and do a REVISED version. That would be pretty fun too.

So the moral of the story is never trust anything I type. You don't know that by now?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 10:32pm

Post #343 of 344 (8358 views)
Shortcut
Me caveman. Me grunt. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 8 2013, 8:00pm

Post #344 of 344 (8462 views)
Shortcut
Very endearing. Reminds me of why I like Dwarves. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Me caveman. Me grunt. //

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.