Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Show yourselves, investigators
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 23 2013, 6:48am

Post #26 of 33 (96 views)
Shortcut
How much time elapsed ??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Between Thrain's dissapearance and the end of the battle in Movie canon?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jun 23 2013, 11:20am

Post #27 of 33 (92 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's been stated... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all a bit of a mess, really! The only timescales given in AUJ were Elrond's 400 years of peace and the comment about the dragon not having been seen for 60 years. What with making Thorin look older than he should have been (not that he was actually present!) at the fall of Erebor, and then younger at the start of the Quest, the average audience will have no idea that the story is supposed to play out over a century and a half! Both Azanulbizar and Thrain's disappearance take place after the Fall of Erebor, and that is supposed to be 100 years ago, as Dernwyn reminded us...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2013, 12:58pm

Post #28 of 33 (91 views)
Shortcut
Book timeline: [In reply to] Can't Post

1999 - Thrain I founds the dwarf-kingdom in Erebor
2746 - Thorin is born (he's actually Thorin II)
2770 - Smaug attacks Erebor; Thorin "happened to be outside...from a good way off we saw the dragon settle on our mountain in a spout of flame"
2790 - Thror slain by Azog
2799 - Battle of Azanulbizar
2802 - Thrain (the second) and Thorin settle their people in the Ered Luin
2841 - Thrain wanders off and goes missing
2850 - Gandalf finds Thrain in Dol Guldur
2941 - Bilbo receives some unexpected visitors

So you can see where liberties have been taken with the text - but Thorin was at both events. This poses the quesion, how do Dwarves age?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 24 2013, 3:01am

Post #29 of 33 (61 views)
Shortcut
So [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1999 - Thrain I founds the dwarf-kingdom in Erebor
2746 - Thorin is born (he's actually Thorin II)
2770 - Smaug attacks Erebor; Thorin "happened to be outside...from a good way off we saw the dragon settle on our mountain in a spout of flame"
2790 - Thror slain by Azog
2799 - Battle of Azanulbizar
2802 - Thrain (the second) and Thorin settle their people in the Ered Luin
2841 - Thrain wanders off and goes missing
2850 - Gandalf finds Thrain in Dol Guldur
2941 - Bilbo receives some unexpected visitors

So you can see where liberties have been taken with the text - but Thorin was at both events. This poses the quesion, how do Dwarves age?

It would be very feasable for a chance Gandalf/Thrain meeting at Bree for instance as he makes his way east, similar to or instead of the Thorin/Gandalf chance meeting in Bree just prior to the events of the Hobbit.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2013, 10:23am

Post #30 of 33 (49 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

There would be a chance for that, wouldn't there...with that being where Thrain handed over the map and key, then?

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 24 2013, 6:37pm

Post #31 of 33 (36 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps you could be more specific? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There would be a chance for that, wouldn't there...with that being where Thrain handed over the map and key, then?

Where do you mean? The Necromancer doesn't seem to be inhabiting Dol Guldur when Thrain went missing in the film-continuity. It may be more likely that Thrain was taken into Moria instead of Dol Guldur.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 24 2013, 6:39pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2013, 8:54pm

Post #32 of 33 (28 views)
Shortcut
The problem is [In reply to] Can't Post

the book-timeline versus the movie-timeline. In the book, there's 42 years before Thrain wanders off; in the movie, this happens during the Battle.

So looking at this again, you're right, it does appear more likely for Thrain to have wandered into Moria than gone East in the movie. I wonder if the EE will have any further explanation...

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 25 2013, 1:15pm

Post #33 of 33 (21 views)
Shortcut
Ok [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats what i was trying to clarify ... That Thain wandered off during or immediately after the Battle pf Anulzanzibar(sp)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.