Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What design elements delighted you in AUJ?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2013, 3:35am

Post #51 of 61 (216 views)
Shortcut
The scabbard's great, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As mentioned earlier- The design of orcrist, particularly the scabbard.

I especially love how, if you're not careful with where you hold the scabbard when sheathing the sword, you might lose a few fingers.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2013, 12:25pm

Post #52 of 61 (170 views)
Shortcut
Good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes it's tricksy!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

hobbitylass
Bree

Jun 22 2013, 2:11am

Post #53 of 61 (146 views)
Shortcut
I agree with so much that others have said here, and also [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the ponies the dwarves ride out of the Shire. They used extra fur to get them so shaggy-looking.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 22 2013, 3:24am

Post #54 of 61 (134 views)
Shortcut
Stuff me likey [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarves .. individual not all look a like clones like in Snow White and other films.

Goblin town ... aside from the Road Runner chasing falling fighting ... the actual set was very cool

That scene in Rivendell where they were looking at the moon letters in the cavern with the waterfall and crystal table

Dale and Erebor were great

Gollums cave with the mushrooms Bilbo landed on to pad his fall

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Bumpypotato
Bree

Jun 22 2013, 6:03am

Post #55 of 61 (140 views)
Shortcut
*generic subject title* [In reply to] Can't Post

There were so many small details I really liked about it, but one that really stood out for me (and possibly is quite a controversial choice) is Azog. As much as I love the original lore, I wasn't bothered by his inclusion as it made for a more interesting film then it otherwise would have been, and although he didn't look quite as well rendered as Gollum or the Goblin King (this is most likely due to his late addition) his design was just plain menacing. Yes, there are other, uglier looking orcs out there, but even Gothmog didn't look particularly intimidating once you got used to him. Azog, on the other hand really looks like he could beat the - are we allowed to swear on here? - *expletive* out of someone, especially when you see him towering over Thorin.

I know this was a thread about designs we did like, but I feel like mentioning one that really didn't work for me; the wargs. Yes, they look less like Hyenas then they did in LOTR, and the cgi is technically better, but the design itself looks far less like a real creature.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Jun 22 2013, 2:04pm

Post #56 of 61 (112 views)
Shortcut
I'd have to agree with you on this [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I know this was a thread about designs we did like, but I feel like mentioning one that really didn't work for me; the wargs. Yes, they look less like Hyenas then they did in LOTR, and the cgi is technically better, but the design itself looks far less like a real creature.

A warg to me will always be the thing that took out poor Hama (yes, even though they're now supposed to just be Saruman's specially-bred version)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 23 2013, 1:12pm

Post #57 of 61 (74 views)
Shortcut
Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

looked interesting and cant wait to see Thranduilýs Halls. Balin was great. Its funny how he gets universal praise, he is one of the most traditionally Dwarven looking Dwarves, and people like that. They dont seem to like the more outlandish designs quite as much. which says to me that Pj could have made the designs less OTT and people would have liked them the same if not more. I like Thranduils design it looks very GDT inspired to me.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 23 2013, 1:20pm

Post #58 of 61 (66 views)
Shortcut
My art teacher [In reply to] Can't Post

killed my enjoyment of painting. I made a painting of a tree in a storm I put a lot of effort and enthusiasm into it, i really tried to instil my feelings into it. She took one look at it and said, 'its a bit messy isnt it? trees dont look like that'' that was 25 years ago. I have never painted since, I kinda lost my mojo.Frown

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Jun 23 2013, 1:21pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2013, 1:39pm

Post #59 of 61 (57 views)
Shortcut
Awwww [In reply to] Can't Post

Elenor that is sad :( Really sad. Nothing like killing artistic expression.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 27 2013, 12:17am

Post #60 of 61 (16 views)
Shortcut
Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything and everything to do with Bag end. I'm making Bilbo's bathrobe :)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 27 2013, 12:18am

Post #61 of 61 (32 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's buttons and backpack [In reply to] Can't Post

are as charming as Sam's rattling back pack ;)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.