Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What we learned from the Desolation of Smaug Trailer

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jun 19 2013, 3:39am

Post #1 of 20 (1657 views)
Shortcut
What we learned from the Desolation of Smaug Trailer Can't Post

title cardSo what did we learn from the first “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” trailer? We saw some new characters, the promise of favorite scenes from the book brought to life, and a few departures from existing text. Here is a little round up what was seen and what it all might mean.

Bard snowThe Dwarves take a boat to the Lonely Mountain, but it is not yet known if they will be met on the far side by ponies to get them the rest of the way to the mountain. The scene of them sailing out of town with all the Townspeople singing them on their way is straight out of the book, but Bard’s warning that the whole town will be in jeopardy because of the Dwarves’ quest is not. Bard’s skepticism was always hinted at in the book, but it appears he get’s to play the ‘voice of reason’ in Laketown, which should give more dramatic weight to his character.

Thorin is captured by the Elves ‘with the rest of the Company’, rather than having been caught the night before while crashing an Elven party. In the book, the rest of the Company does not quite realize Thorin is gone because the forest is so dark and they soon become quite busy with giant spiders. After Bilbo frees them of the spiders and the elves capture them, they are imprisoned away from Thorin, not knowing he is there as well. This gives Thranduil an advantage when questioning Thorin since he has no idea what the fate of the rest of his Company is. By capturing them altogether in the film, this changes the dynamics when the Dwarves are brought before Thranduil. Again, this may not make a big difference in the overall story, we shall see this December.

bilbo barrelsThe barrels have no lids, which means there is a higher risk of swamping, but may add a little bit of drivability for the dwarves. It also means poor Bilbo has nothing to perch on. The fact that they hit some white water rapids, it is amazing that Bilbo is still  hanging onto Kili’s barrel.

The Dwarves’ escape from the Mirkwood Elves apparently does not go unnoticed by the Elves, or Orcs for that matter. This is shown with the Elves running through the trees above the river as the barrels go by on the river. But there may well be an inside person involved in the escape, since Kili has his bow and Thorin has Orcrist. This is a much bigger change from the books than some of the previous events, we’ll have to wait and see how this all plays out.

Bilbo climbs the trees of Mirkwood to give the Company their bearings, and gets to see a cluster of butterflies. Martin expresses such joy on his face at the sight, this will be a nice break from the darkness of the forest.

Gandalf gets into a scuffle in Dol Guldur with what appears to be a Dwarf, presumably Thrain. This should be a flashback to how Gandalf came into possession of the Key and Map to the Secret Door.

spider bilboBilbo will be fighting the giant spiders, and he looks scared. It also appears he gets to do a bit of gymnastics in those trees, should be a rather awesome sequence of events when Bilbo leads the spiders on a merry little chase.

Beorn in bear form is ginormous. That is, if the critter busting through the door the Dwarves are trying to close is Beorn.

Gandalf and Radagast explore the Tombs where the Witch King and his cohorts were supposedly locked away forever. Radagast seems more hesitant, while Gandalf is resolute in exploring, and neither seem happy with what they find.

Leggy Tauriel

Tauriel tells Legolas that they should get involved, a coming fight is also their fight. We do not know entirely what she is referring to, but this appears to happen after the Elves have fought with the Orcs chasing the Dwarves down the river.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jun 19 2013, 9:08am

Post #2 of 20 (735 views)
Shortcut
I loved the butterflies above all else. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favourite bits in the book.

The Barrel sequence is going to be fun!Smile

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"Who put the tribbles in the quadrotriticale!?"

Azaghl
Lorien

Jun 19 2013, 9:58am

Post #3 of 20 (756 views)
Shortcut
As I posted on the main page [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wanted to point out that Thorin does NOT have Orcrist in the barrel sequence. He is wielding an orc sword. Also, in the shot of Dale Thorin is leaning on a sword with a straight blade. This is pretty much proof that Thranduil will take Orcrist.

*Baruk khazd! Khazd ai-mnu!*

TFP
Rivendell

Jun 19 2013, 10:14am

Post #4 of 20 (706 views)
Shortcut
Blue/black [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
One of my favourite bits in the book.

The Barrel sequence is going to be fun!Smile

don't tell me you weren't at least a little angry at their non-blackness?

[apologies if this has been discussed to death in earlier threads, i'm a very occasional reader/poster]

namarie
Rohan

Jun 19 2013, 10:21am

Post #5 of 20 (743 views)
Shortcut
Thorin doesn't have Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

His sword looks like an orc sword.
And the bow that Kili has in the barrel looks more like an elvish bow and not like his own bow.

"The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!"

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 19 2013, 1:04pm

Post #6 of 20 (625 views)
Shortcut
We did discuss it [In reply to] Can't Post

and a few people with experience in graphics and photography pointed out that black is hard to work with because it's very difficult to capture detail. The viewer sees a black blob with no distinct shape. In order to show shape, you have to be able to have gradients of color, and black just doesn't work that way.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 1:47pm

Post #7 of 20 (587 views)
Shortcut
Black [In reply to] Can't Post

Black is also very hard to render in 3D for the same reason. It would have just appeared like black blobs.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 19 2013, 3:36pm

Post #8 of 20 (526 views)
Shortcut
Bomby wantzzz to say..Thang you Berry Buch... [In reply to] Can't Post

To NewsfromBree,Quickbeam, Cliffy..Bomby's aSuper Fan!

When Bomby used to shoot TV News
a Half Hour Show really was about 23 minutes in Lenght.
Well, PJ said the extended CUT would be about 20 to 23 more minutes on Screen, SOOO..
Here goes.

1. More Rivendell, B-boy, E-Guy, and Broken Narsul!
(We have seen this...) and Maybe some sweeping shots of the expanded Rivendell, Please! PJ..
with Mood Music from Howard, evoking their Ancient past!
Maybe looking at Alan Lee's different Murals along that Gallery...
Was a waste Not to see them
(Fall of Gondolin, Anyone?)

2. Inside Rivendell Campfire with Dwarves burning furniture..before Bombur's fall.

3. More, "Letter-Opener Dinner" sequence fleshed out?
Including some RAW Meats they are seen cooking later.

4. More expanded Landscapes to Make the distance to seem further than we got...
(Maybe Bree in the Distance? to help orient the audience)
with funny dialogue from the un-featured Dwavres.

PJ sprinkled a shot or two throughout each scene of
LOTR films to make a more complete Section.

5. Bilbo's Dream? (Child Bilbo/Marketplace when he meets Gandalf and a Dragon Firework?)
This could be inserted anywhere in these 3 Movies. But maybe after Balin's Flashback to the Battle of
"As-a-Doodle-Dee'?
Because Now Bilbo is getting a bit MORE afraid..

6. Some More W/Council, which seemed Trucated?
Chistopher Lee could surpize us more dialogue, showing Cracks in his Logic...

7. Maybe a quick explanation of how Bifur got that Axe embedded..whispered to Bilbo?
("Don't notice it! Bilbo..)

Bomby thinks PJ was really smart to feature 5 Dwarves in this Release
which allows us to get to Know 5 more in TDoS,
and finally really understand the 3 left in depth
... in TABA.

Vblog, Vblog, Vblog...NOW!
xoxo
Bomby

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jun 19 2013, 3:38pm)

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jun 19 2013, 4:12pm

Post #9 of 20 (536 views)
Shortcut
Legolas takes it [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a picture of Legolas brandishing his bow in one of the vlogs and he has Orcrist at his side, so it looks like Thranduil won't be in possession of it.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Jun 19 2013, 4:17pm

Post #10 of 20 (513 views)
Shortcut
No mention of Smaug reveal at the end? [In reply to] Can't Post

None of the noted changes bother me (well, maybe the suggestion that the dwarf escape means they will be simaultaneously fighting off orcs and elves while riding open barrels on churning white water... *rolls eyes*) and this article did point out many details I missed since I can only watch it on my mobile. I wish I was more pleased by the gander at Schmaug. To my taste, he looks more like a dragonsauros, reenforced by that deep rumble he makes which I'd swear was lifted straight from the sound effects used in Jurassic Park. Oh well, I look forward to DoS all the same since my first impressions often vaporize after I've seen the finished product. Smile

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 4:47pm

Post #11 of 20 (485 views)
Shortcut
i'm glad they included Bilbo climbing ontop of the forest of mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

i also thought that was a great scene in the animated version as well. I guess thats the benefit about the Hobbit being split into a trilogy, there is no excuse not to include every single thing that happens in the book!

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

DiveTwin
Rohan

Jun 19 2013, 6:28pm

Post #12 of 20 (453 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the feeling Tauriel will be involved in the dwarves escaping, whether that is because she becomes enamored with one or that she feels they need to help the dwarves as a "this is our battle also". There was a scene with her looking though the bars holding the dwarves and her scene and comments to Legolas indicate she may feel differently abuot the dwarves and elven responsibilities than do the remainder of the Woodland Elves.

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Nira
Lorien

Jun 19 2013, 9:11pm

Post #13 of 20 (388 views)
Shortcut
I think..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel helps the dwarves escape in some way and convinces Legolas to help them too.

Thranduil giving Orcrist back to Thorin will be a moving scene in the last movie.

Gandalf in Dol Guldur isn't a flashback...or at least it isn't the scene where he first gets the key.

In the movie, Thorin already had the map...right? Because he was only surprised by the key and Gandalf gives him the key by itself.

The butterflies in Mirkwood will be one of the most beautiful 3D scenes I'll ever see.

I will hate the barrels scene that I was really looking forward to seeing. It already irritates me that the barrels aren't closed...for a couple of reasons...One can not float upright in a barrel like that even on still water and much less swinging a sword. Plus, the opening of the barrels was such a moving, dramatic, and also humorous part of the book.

I'll like the changes or additions made to Bard's story

They won't have any Bilbo dreams in the film :(

As a Sherlock fan, the Martin & Benedict scenes will confuse my brain...and be fantastic.

The spider web is very different from Shelob's web even though they're related to her. I hope their spider guts are still green. Tongue

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by Nira on Jun 19 2013, 9:12pm)

smokerings
Rivendell

Jun 19 2013, 10:31pm

Post #14 of 20 (319 views)
Shortcut
My guess.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and from some very 'un-approved' sources, is that Tauriel has a parallel path to the Dwarves plight. What that path is exactly (female warrior not given a chance to do battle with men [aka RoTK], etc) is still unknown....but we all know that in the end, Tauriel's deed for helping the party escape will be the right path....I have a feeling Gladerial may have something to do with Tauriel's role. We'll see....

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jun 19 2013, 11:27pm

Post #15 of 20 (351 views)
Shortcut
"Such is the nature of evil" line :-P.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like how the camera focuses on Thranduil's eyes when this line is spoken, as if creating an association between evil and Thranduil.
I hope the screenwriters don't strip the nobility from Thranduil's character as was done with Denethor's character in Return of the King.

It also seems that the barrel escape will be much more chaotic than in the book, with the Orcs attacking at the same time as the escape is occurring.
I can't comprehend how the orcs could have gotten so deep into Mirkwood without the elves knowing.
Hopefully, Thranduil isn't made "evil" enough to have permitted the orcs to slip through the elven defenses so as to be rid of the Thorin problem.

Passagas the Brown
The Shire

Jun 20 2013, 4:38am

Post #16 of 20 (265 views)
Shortcut
Have Bilbo's dreams been ruled out? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember hearing that. Seems strange. Dreams are excellent filmic devices.

Nira
Lorien

Jun 20 2013, 5:53am

Post #17 of 20 (252 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I said "I think..." there won't be any Bilbo dreams. It seems that way from how they did the last movie and the trailer, but perhaps I'm being too pesimistic. I'm just giving my thoughts & predictions there; I don't know for sure.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2013, 3:33pm

Post #18 of 20 (74 views)
Shortcut
Do we know how far through the story the second film will get us? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowim I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Ardamr
Valinor

Jun 24 2013, 3:38pm

Post #19 of 20 (72 views)
Shortcut
No, we're still unsure. [In reply to] Can't Post

And, truthfully, I hope it stays that way. I'd rather not know until I'm sitting in the theater. Smile

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undmiel

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2013, 3:43pm

Post #20 of 20 (98 views)
Shortcut
Thanks // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowim I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.