Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Howard Shore hires external orchestrators for DOS instead of doing it himself
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 6:30pm

Post #26 of 36 (254 views)
Shortcut
     I'm sorry that I bugged you so much! [In reply to]  

I was vague because I only know as much as I stated - I guess the problem with being vague is that people can sometimes read negativity into vagueness that wasn't intended. Maybe it was Plan 9 - but I think there was another group too - one that did some work for other epic movies. I don't see how mentioning that is innuendo against HS! Please consider how much of your reaction is coming from you and how much of it is coming from a plain reading of my words, carefully selected to mean no more than what they say.

I think I would count your post as a blow-up and I remember others reacting strongly against the other music and in favor of HS's music. The sentiments in HS favor where overwhelming!

Also - I had a whole lot of maybes in there - not all of them had a negative spin like "maybe he already did a lot of it".

Maybe I will just avoid talking about the music from now on Smile.

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 6:35pm

Post #27 of 36 (255 views)
Shortcut
     Actually, [In reply to]  

that was not friendly at all - by any interpretation it was a hurtful attack on me as a person and a poster - the criticism was about me and it was not vague or questioning - it was directly inferring my intent and reading negativity into things I wrote that were actually just vague (and then slamming me for it).

I hope that this negativity doesn't continue to be presumed within comments I make where it is not intended. It is quite uncomfortable and alarming and I wouldn't recommend that the boards take a turn in that direction.

I did make some guesses about HS's motivations. They were stated as guesses because that is what they were. However, unlike some other posters, I did not slam him or criticize or accuse him of lowered standards or anything like that - also, my guesses were fairly diverse and not all negative - just stating that we don't know and not giving judgment. There could be so many reasons why something like this could happen and I didn't intend any judgmental or critical innuendo whatsoever.

(This post was edited by Escapist on Jun 17 2013, 6:37pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 6:46pm

Post #28 of 36 (229 views)
Shortcut
     I agree about not judging others without full understanding. [In reply to]  

But I think that questioning what could be possible is fairly normal - just so long as it is clear that such thoughts are only questions and not assumptions.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 17 2013, 7:00pm

Post #29 of 36 (237 views)
Shortcut
     Actually, [In reply to]  

the post was within our Terms of Service, in that Magpie commented on what you said and made no personal attacks. We welcome ALL opinions here, and if you think that her interpretation of what you said was incorrect, you are free to disagree. But implying it was hurtful is doing exactly what you are saying that she did - you are implying negative intent when in fact there may be none.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 7:13pm

Post #30 of 36 (225 views)
Shortcut
     Intent [In reply to]  

"...Or you do and you're deliberately being vague."

I think we are not allowed to cast intent upon others? Yes?

Just saying.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 17 2013, 7:15pm

Post #31 of 36 (220 views)
Shortcut
     Either/or [In reply to]  

No definitive attribution of intent.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 17 2013, 7:54pm

Post #32 of 36 (198 views)
Shortcut
     Casting intent vs. clarifying intent [In reply to]  

'Casting intent' is often just an attempt to clarify the position of someone you're replying to assess whether you're interpreting it correctly. Even if it's interpreting their intent wrong - people are allowed to be wrong here without being attacked. So far in this thread, I see that some misunderstanding of intent has definitely occurred. Some people have reacted by trying to work it out, getting, or giving, better clarification. That's what should happen in a civil give-and-take of information. Some, however, have chosen to assume the worst intent and wade in and attack the poster personally for it, instead of letting the process work itself out. That kind of reaction - attacking someone for what they're saying, *is* against the rules.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 7:58pm

Post #33 of 36 (195 views)
Shortcut
     Hurtful [In reply to]  

Ok, one more time, and I apologize for appearing to not let this go, but I should point out one more thing. And, by the way, I'm not trying to defend either set of posts.

I don't know the gender of the poster for sure, but I can guess based upon the language. Generally, you're not going to see males say "I felt hurt by your comments" because that would admit to being hurt. Sometimes it's easier to say you were being hurtful than to say I was hurt. I think women sometimes don't realize that because, generally speaking, they'll choose the direct approach about emotions where males will choose to confront. Instead, a male will use the word "hurtful" to externalize it when he meant otherwise internally. Some understanding of what was actually meant is in order. You can't deny what a person feels.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jun 17 2013, 8:07pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 8:01pm

Post #34 of 36 (184 views)
Shortcut
     Howard's Short Bio? [In reply to]  

Howard Shore has composed the scores for over 50 films, including The Silence of the Lambs, Philadelphia, After Hours, Seven, and both the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies. His collaborations with David Cronenberg have resulted in scores for the films The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome, The Fly, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch, M. Butterfly, and Crash, spanning a nearly 20-year period by the year 2001. Shore's formal education came at the Berklee School of Music in Boston. From 1969-1972 he recorded with the group Lighthouse. He was one of the original creators of Saturday Night Live and served as its musical director from 1975-1980. In 2000, Shore began work on one of the most expansive projects of his career when he signed on to produce scores for film adaptations of the Lord of the Rings series. He spent a year just working on the first film, using Tolkien's texts and drawing from eighth and ninth century music sources to try to evoke the books' magical worlds. Upon the completion of the Lords series in 2001, Shore created the scores for several Hollywood blockbusters including Panic Room (2002), The Aviator (2005), A History of Violence (2005), The Departed (2006), Doubt (2008), and Hugo (2011). In 2012 Shore, along with director Peter Jackson, returned to Middle Earth for the first of three Hobbit films.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 17 2013, 8:12pm

Post #35 of 36 (187 views)
Shortcut
     No big deal [In reply to]  

As has been said lots of the big names use helpers when they have to. If its written by Shore but directed by someone else its still Shore's music. Its no different than the traveling concerts like the one that came to Kansas City a couple years ago. As long as its written by him and has the same feel when I hear it then I'm ok with these types of things.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 17 2013, 8:25pm

Post #36 of 36 (208 views)
Shortcut
     ---> Thread locked due to personal insults and comments [In reply to]  

What should have been a civil, if maybe somewhat controversial, discussion of Howard Shore has turned into a case of several misinterpretations of people's comments with no attempt to give that person a benefit of a doubt. May I repeat that the Admins should be consulted if you think you, or anyone else, has been insulted. The proper recourse is NOT to keep rehashing it in public (you attacked me; no YOU attacked me), or butt in and attack the side you *think* is right before the people involved have a chance to work it out.

Everyone PLEASE take a deep breath and give other people here the benefit of a doubt!!!

Thanks

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 17 2013, 8:27pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.