Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Positive Comments Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 8:51pm

Post #51 of 75 (295 views)
Shortcut
Wow great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm incredibly happy that they have given the talking purse a larger role in films 2 and 3. He was only going to wasted in AUJ, so to see him ride on Smaug's back during the attack of Laketown is splendid.

I've also heard New Line Cinema are considering a prequel 'The Talking Purse Chronicles; Middle Earth on the Lighter Side' where the Talking Purse and Bill the Pony's grandafther travel Bree solving crimes...

(I'm not overly posistive...so I should be sillier to make up for it...right?)

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

cats16
Valinor

Jun 17 2013, 8:53pm

Post #52 of 75 (297 views)
Shortcut
Ah, here's a good thread :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't actually watched AUJ for a little while now, with the idea that I don't want to become "worn out" with it. Not tired of it, but I don't want the experience to feel like a routine. I'm sure some of you know this sort of feeling.

I love it. That's probably the easiest way to say it, lol. It just represents everything I love and believe in, and for me these films will have a great impact on my life. As do the books. There is so much 'good' coming from these stories and the filmmakers. And I'm so excited that we still have about 6 hours (excluding the EEs), or so, of PJ's ME left to see.

Another great thing about the films, for me, is that they want me to go back to the books even more as each year goes by. I'm actually about to read...pretty much all of the major Tolkien works. I've already read TH and LOTR, but it's been a couple of years for the latter. My hope is to finish those two, the Sil., Unfinished Tales, and HOME as soon as my schedule allows. Of course, I don't want to rush it Smile. My ideal situation would be to read LOTR and TH every year (or two; haven't decided yet. Plenty of time to think about that Wink).

I can't say enough good things about AUJ, honestly. Sure, I acknowledge it has some flaws. I see them when I watch it, and yes, they stick out sorely at times. But in no way do they hinder the enjoyment I have for "being" in ME for 3 hours.

I'm glad that this thread happened, as I can now start on TH tonight with TORN's positivity in the back of my mind! Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 17 2013, 8:54pm

Post #53 of 75 (292 views)
Shortcut
If I knew how to, I so would! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

He'll be appearing in all sorts of films after this. I can really see him in the new Star Wars films!

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 9:06pm

Post #54 of 75 (292 views)
Shortcut
Some of my favourite things [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo.
Gandalf the Grey again.
The Dwarves, and the way they have taken the trouble to differentiate them instead of having a mass of similar ones. Thorin is younger than I expected, certainly, but he feels right in himself, especially in the light of Gandalf's narrative in "Unfinished Tales". I like all the Dwarves who have emerged a bit character-wise so far and look forward to hearing more from all of them.
The whole Bag End sequence from "Good Morning" through "At your Service", "Blunt the Knives" and "Misty Mountains" to Bilbo's waking in an empty house is a delight (to me anyway).
Ditto Riddles in the Dark.
The Trolls really look and sound like I imagined.
Some scenes that stick in my mind for beauty - the Dwarf refugees moving through that bleak Northern landscape; the Misty Mountains song in Bag End, sparks rising from Bilbo's chimney in the dark; first sight of Galadriel; reading the moon-runes; the Eagles flying; the round council-chamber at Rivendell the time I saw it in *good* 3D (I had a bad 3D experience too, but the less said about that, the better!)
The way they did Bilbo sparing Gollum's life, without any words or flashback to Gandalf's remark about sparing lives; no fuss. And the silence in Bag End when the Dwarves had left.
And that little Dwarf who found the Arkenstone!

kareniel
Lorien

Jun 17 2013, 9:22pm

Post #55 of 75 (292 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I feel so much better! [In reply to] Can't Post

The negativity had given me a headache. Thanks, everybody. Well done!
Oh yes. And another of my favorite things is that there are three films - not just one. Because if PJ had made only one Hobbit film, it would now be over. And then even I would be sulking. Frown

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 9:24pm

Post #56 of 75 (285 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The negativity had given me a headache. Thanks, everybody. Well done!
Oh yes. And another of my favorite things is that there are three films - not just one. Because if PJ had made only one Hobbit film, it would now be over. And then even I would be sulking. Frown

Kind of (well really absolutely, let's not understate it) enjoying the same pacing experience as LOTR - especially with the holiday releases! Cool

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

kareniel
Lorien

Jun 17 2013, 11:09pm

Post #57 of 75 (241 views)
Shortcut
Right, Brethil! Holiday releases! Another positive thingy! // [In reply to] Can't Post

elostirion74
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 11:18pm

Post #58 of 75 (248 views)
Shortcut
acting, characters and places [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the acting and the interaction between the characters in AUJ. I particularly like all the small creative details they´ve added to so many of the characters, whether it´s the body language, the bearing, a specific attitude to life, the comedic timing, the small glances and comments that show the quirks of each character.

I also whole-heartedly love the rich colours they´ve used and the beautiful mix of locations we see in AUJ. For me they gave the start of the Hobbit trilogy its own genuinely fantastical atmosphere and a wide-eyed sense of adventure.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 11:46pm

Post #59 of 75 (248 views)
Shortcut
Even though I have my issues with AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do like more than half of the film. I thought everything up until the Radagast chase scene was great. I also loved Gandalf's shockwave blast in Goblin-town, "Riddles in the Dark", and despite Azog's presence robbing the wargs of their chance to show their independence, I also liked "Out of the Frying Pan..." I also really liked most of the acting as well.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jun 17 2013, 11:47pm)

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 18 2013, 1:33am

Post #60 of 75 (233 views)
Shortcut
Okay, I can do this, I can be positive... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the unexpected party.

I like Freeman as Bilbo, really good non-verbal acting during the Pity of Bilbo scene.

I like the eagle rescue despite the fact that Azog is there. The shot of the eagles flying away into the moon-rise is great.

I like the Riddles in the Dark scene.

I like most of Howard's score.

I like the sweeping landscape shots, I can't imagine these movies being filmed anywhere else.

My 100th post is full of positivity! Maybe I'm turning over a new leaf. Tongue

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Darth Bungo: "Gandalf the Gray never told you what happened to your father."
Bilbo Barrel-rider: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."
Darth Bungo: "No, I am your father."

(This post was edited by bungobaggins on Jun 18 2013, 1:39am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 2:53am

Post #61 of 75 (209 views)
Shortcut
I knew you had to have liked something! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Old Toby
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 4:47am

Post #62 of 75 (200 views)
Shortcut
good comments [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think some people just like to rain on other peoples' parades.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 4:59am

Post #63 of 75 (195 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's so cute you could just eat him. Ask a Troll. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
was Martin Freeman's comedic timing. I know he's good at comedy but it was deliciously done as Bilbo - the hobbit's efforts around the trolls is one of my highlights from the film. :)

That is such fun.
"To...(adorable screwed-up face) SKIN them first!"

I also liked his face, completely bemused, after that first spar with Thorin in the hall (axe or sword?). Gandalf looks exhausted and MF does the most perfect "WTH" look at Thorin's back. Great.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Old Toby
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 5:05am

Post #64 of 75 (189 views)
Shortcut
No, thank YOU kareniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

This thread has, for the most part, been positive, uplifting, and a breath of fresh air for me! And I'm so glad that so many have spoken up and voiced what they love again about AUJ at this time. Really, it makes me relive those moments in my mind! I remember going to watch the movie so many times, sitting there with a big smile on my face because it brought me something most films nowdays don't: sheer joy. And you're right about the three films being a favorite thing too! I'll be so sad when it's all over, and then what do we have to look forward to cinematically? sigh. Oh, yes, and another favorite thing for me is the incredibly gorgeous landscapes, the sweeping vistas of New Zealand, that are simply glorious.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Jun 18 2013, 6:54am

Post #65 of 75 (177 views)
Shortcut
Haha, this is great [In reply to] Can't Post

And of course all this is delivered without once taking a breath Laugh

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 8:04am

Post #66 of 75 (169 views)
Shortcut
And the eagles, the eagles... [In reply to] Can't Post

That sequence is so beautiful - the scenery, the lighting, the birds themselves and the music.

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Jun 18 2013, 8:13am

Post #67 of 75 (176 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

I try to avoid those threads that are too negative. I'm an optimist (albeit not always a successful one) and too much negativity is not good for my mood. It's great to read that so many people really enjoy AUJ and are positive in regard to DOS and TABA, despite the criticism the trailer has earned.

There are many things I really love about PJ's The Hobbit, but it would take far too long to list them all, so I'll just nae a few:

1. As several others have already mentioned, the casting is superb. The characters are believable so that I don't see the actor behind the prosthetics every time I look at a character. You can see every one thoroughly enjoyed themselves playing these characters.
2. The dwarves, in the book for the most part just a mostly anonymous bundle of grumpy garden gnomes, have gained a lot of depth and every one has individual histories and characters.
3.There simply is no such thing as too much time in the Shire. I'd move in tomorrow if someone asked me (or to Rivendell, I'm not sure). All the time we spent in Bag End did in my opinion enhance Bilbo's situation. We made ourselves comfortable in his garden and living room when suddenly everything is turned upside-down and we're on the road, trying to rob a dragon of his costly pillow. On the way we are getting drenched, nearly skinned and cooked, blown away, and sat on, only to get nearly eaten, stabbed, and roasted. I need my time in a hobbit hole and a little rest in Rivendell before I can take that.
4. The music was great as always. I love how there are familiar tunes from LOTR that are yet not the same, but slightly altered, and also new ones. And the two dwarven songs seem to have sprung directly out from the pages.
5. The troll scene was a delight. I know it is diferent from the book, but if one dwarf after the other had come and got himself bagged it would have looked ridiculous on screen.
6. Radagast is cute (as is Sebastian). And I don't mind any references to mushrooms.
7. While Azog is no favourite of mine, I don't mind him much either, but see why he was put in and accept that.
8. I Love it that they used the appendices as well and showed the White Council.
9. It was great seeing familiar faces. Frodo, old Bilbo, Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman, Gandalf of course, and even Lindir are all welcome to me. Indeed, the fact that they included a minor character like Lindir, whom we have seen in LOTR as a minor-minor character, made AUJ even more believable for me because it adds to the continuity.
I like the ties to LOTR. They give the story more depth and a sense of reality. There are a lot of references to The Hobbit in LOTR and I enjoy them very much, especially now that we get to see the story to them.
10. I don't mean to criticize, and I realize every one is entitled to their own opinion, it is just that reading all those negative comments (though I try not to) has made me a little frustrated and I have to let it out. There is one thing that has been on my mind for a while every time I see some one complaining that TH doesn't look real, or that there are incongruencies. I see TH movies as Bilbo's version of the story. What I mean is, I imagine old Bilbo sitting down on his writing table (as we see in FOTR and the prologue of AUJ) 60 years after his return from his adventure. After all this time it is only natural that he has forgotten some things (maybe he also forgot the coulour of his coat was green as in the Prologue of FOTR and not red) and unconsciously reinvented them. Also, he has a sense of humour and as we know from Gandalf "all good stories deserve a little embellishment", he makes up for lost memories by embellishing other events.

Conclusion: I Heart The Hobbit.

Well, this has become longer than expected, and I hope I haven't drifted too much off topic. I'm sorry if I have, it must be the heat here.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 1:38am

Post #68 of 75 (114 views)
Shortcut
yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can just hear Ben doing that. LOL.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 1:38am

Post #69 of 75 (116 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha that would be too funny!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 1:40am

Post #70 of 75 (117 views)
Shortcut
Hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew you would Brethil!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 19 2013, 2:28pm

Post #71 of 75 (100 views)
Shortcut
Of course!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This thread was an excellent idea on Kareniel's part. I would love to see us do this perhaps weekly or so - come up with a good reason to be able to revel a bit, for people who are so inclined. What's life without revelry?

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2013, 12:47am

Post #72 of 75 (80 views)
Shortcut
Revelry! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it and I need more of it! Bring it on! I would love to have more Hobbity fun!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 20 2013, 2:04am

Post #73 of 75 (91 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of Revelry... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love it and I need more of it! Bring it on! I would love to have more Hobbity fun!

Really I can watch Blunt the Knives on endless loop! How fun are Dwarves in a Hobbit hole. I can't imagine that scene being any better, I would not change a thing. The Elves are beautiful folk, but if you want to have a really rollicking good time find some Dwarves. Heart

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2013, 3:11am

Post #74 of 75 (70 views)
Shortcut
OH yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean if you want to party, you gotta have the dwarves no doubt. Elves are fine for the finery but for a rocking good smash mouth time bring on the dorfs! Bofur is so sweet I just love him! I really hope SPJ has Bofur find Bilbo after the Battle of the Five Armies and bring him back to Gandalf and the tent. I would love that.

totoro
Lorien

Jun 20 2013, 6:45am

Post #75 of 75 (71 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I very much enjoyed this thread. Thank you.

I most liked the flashback to the past. I didn't mind the prologue, but Bilbo chewing on his pipe was kind of magical. Everything in Bag End was wonderful, though the dull the knives song kind of took me out of the film because I didn't understand how they could improvise a song like that.

The morning after was engaging. I liked the pause before the plunge feeling of the scene.

The trolls were well-rendered.

Radagast was the most memorable character in the film. My son and I talked about him about as much as any. The bird poop was such a great way to make it clear he doesn't think like the rest of us; despite the fact that makeup effect is much maligned, it is one of my favorite touches. The sled ride was another moment that took me out of the film because it didn't make much sense to me, but I recovered relatively quickly at the last homely house.

The stone giants were awe-inspiring. I could have done without the leg-clinging, but it was worth it for a chance to see the giants in action.

I loved the great goblin, especially his little jig and ditty.

Riddles in the Dark. Masterful.

Azog kind of took me out of the film a little at the end because I was wondering how he caught up so fast. I'm sure there was a way; it just didn't come to me quickly enough to take me out. However, I liked how Bilbo's spider moment was moved forward to give us his arc.

I hope I didn't throw in any negativity. It was kind of hard for me to just skim over the parts that didn't work for me. Overall, AUJ was splendid.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.