Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
(The Middle Earth Era) - From Ancient Realism to CGI -> #positivity
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

glor
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 11:42pm

Post #26 of 31 (87 views)
Shortcut
Blu-ray/HD [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately it has to be a consideration as that is how films are viewed both in the cinema and at home, it is a different medium being digital rather than analogue. Films are now screened digitally,my recently opened nearby cinemaplex doesn't have the facilities to project analogue film (my Brother in law helps with the local film society). Blu-ray/HD is a digital medium and to be honest I don't think it's always a good thing, film has a certain quality to it, analogue technology has a warmth that digital mediums often lack. Take the example of the early days of Cds, (yes I am that old), the remastered classic Beatles albums released on Cd got a lot of complaints because they sounded too sharp, to harsh because the digital medium had robbed them of the their warmth.

All films are now largely made to be viewed in HD whether that's at home or in cinemas because that is simply how it is, thanks to market forces.

the difference is that you can tell its cgi, and sets made out of wood look real

Actually I would disagree for the most part with regards to TH. Although, if you watched Dr Who in the 1970s, you would be aware that wooden sets don't always look real, they can wobble a lot Laugh

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 18 2013, 1:09am

Post #27 of 31 (85 views)
Shortcut
since when does Tolkien's descriptions matter, these aren't his films [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy OTT is always better than something story driven isn't it? LaughSlyLaugh

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 10:30am

Post #28 of 31 (61 views)
Shortcut
Dr Who [In reply to] Can't Post

lost a lot of its charm when it stopped looking like it was made in a shed by some chap in a tweed jacket smoking a pipe. Nowadays the show is a bit too glossy for its own good imo. As for TH its so glossy, its so pristine it feels more like a dreamworld rather than an actual place, at the moment anyway. I did see one still from the film where Bilbo and the Dwarves are lying on the floor muddy and weary, that looked more authentic if a little war filmy. Real sets have a kind of solidity about them that I cant really explain well, but I sense there physical solidity in space, even if theres a greenscreen behind it. That Rivendell set in Fellowship felt like a large and airy realm, with gardens and terraces, rooms and nooks and crannies. I felt in TH a strange sense of squashed in narrow confines, all bunched up together. This may change in the EE with I hope a LOT of Bilbo wandering round falling in love with Rivendell, its such an important moment for him, as he ends up living there. Maybe the EE and DOS EE will fill in the gaps.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 12:00pm

Post #29 of 31 (56 views)
Shortcut
OTT? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Crazy OTT is always better than something story driven isn't it? LaughSlyLaugh

I do not grok your jargon.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 18 2013, 2:33pm

Post #30 of 31 (48 views)
Shortcut
OTT [In reply to] Can't Post

Over The Top; beyond any reasonable justification.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 7:00pm

Post #31 of 31 (42 views)
Shortcut
Re: OTT [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Over The Top; beyond any reasonable justification.

See what I miss out on by not texting? Tongue

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.