Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Saurons eyeball trick

billzy2
The Shire

Jun 16 2013, 9:18pm

Post #1 of 21 (748 views)
Shortcut
Saurons eyeball trick Can't Post

Just wondering if PJ will show the Necromancer/Sauron fleeing from Dol Guldor to his fortress in Mordor and then his transference from the floating apparition in AUJ into the giant Eyeball we see him as in LOTR. Twould be a cool thingy to see indeed and would help to connect the two film series or am i hoping for too much, as usual.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 16 2013, 9:26pm

Post #2 of 21 (439 views)
Shortcut
Urgh. [In reply to] Can't Post

You subject line made me think of Sauron popping his eyeball in and out of its socket as a party trick. *shudder*

As for the flaming eye, I don't believe that was him in the film; rather, it was a construction of his, an artefact, to reinforce to his subjects that he sees all and also (possibly) enhance his ability to see clearly within his own lands. Sauron is happily ensconced within Barad-dur, having mani-pedis and frightening the staff while keeping a psychic 'eye' on what's happening around him.

And I really hope we don't see the flaming eye make an appearance in TABA - that would be too much of a "look, we're connecting the trilogies!!" moment.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 16 2013, 9:26pm

Post #3 of 21 (409 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

i can see a, evil guys dead, hes not really dead, scene without a doubt. bit of a cliche, but you cannot deny sauron will be back! kinda takes the fun out of killing him really.
but how does a lidless eye open?

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

(This post was edited by jimmyfenn on Jun 16 2013, 9:27pm)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jun 16 2013, 10:55pm

Post #4 of 21 (338 views)
Shortcut
OMG.... [In reply to] Can't Post

This so begs a Monty Pythonesque short film unto itself!! Sauron and His Flaming Eyeball!! Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jun 16 2013, 10:56pm)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 4:40am

Post #5 of 21 (236 views)
Shortcut
I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we should see anything like that but we probably will. I think they can tease his return without showing him again here was something I had in mind after they kill the Necromancer

A great dark cloud grows and takes shape flickering with fire and crowned with lightning stretching a vast hand over them all. But suddenly it is blown away towards the east. a hush falls and the light grows Elrond gasps

ELROND
He's gone

Galadriel shakes her head and calmly replies

GALADRIEL
For now

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 8:56am

Post #6 of 21 (265 views)
Shortcut
New image of Sauron in Barad-Dur: [In reply to] Can't Post

Complete with the Lidless Eye, and a Fell Beastie swooping just below the Eye. Note the army massed inside the walls of Mordor, waiting to attack. And Orodruin spewing lava in the near right corner. Fell Beastie detail below the full picture.

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 9:01am

Post #7 of 21 (195 views)
Shortcut
Wow! That's a real scoop [In reply to] Can't Post

It should be on the home page really. Cool
That fell beast totally freaked me out!
And did I spot an oliphaunt?

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 9:20am

Post #8 of 21 (179 views)
Shortcut
Hot off the press, as it were. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, a bright yellow oliphaunt. I hear they're particularly fearsome. Note the highly-trained attack salamanders, too. Not to mention the vicious lizard, camel, and some zebras. Who knew Sauron had such creatures at his disposal!

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 9:32am

Post #9 of 21 (170 views)
Shortcut
Attack salamanders! [In reply to] Can't Post

Servants of the dark lord indeed. Shocked

billzy2
The Shire

Jun 17 2013, 2:22pm

Post #10 of 21 (145 views)
Shortcut
Kill the Necromancer? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe they kill the Necromancer, he just decides to make tracks back to Barad Dur when it looks like he is losing the battle with the White Council which makes him either a clever strategist or a bit of a coward or possibly both.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 2:33pm

Post #11 of 21 (143 views)
Shortcut
Sauron Giant shaped Storm ending likeROTK book [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see theNecro(who will have abody in the movies,quite for sure) getting kiled and a dark stormy cloud with Sauron´s shape rising against the withecouncil and then fading with the wind,but leading towards Mordor, beyond the sight of our heros and there covering that land. I guess the flaming of the eye will take place inside that cloud, but that would lay for the imagination of the viewers.

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Old Toby
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 3:15pm

Post #12 of 21 (116 views)
Shortcut
Sauron's Zoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is too precious! Never underestimate the Dark Lord's diabolical ability to turn all creatures great and small to the Dark Side! He probably, out of sheer orneriness, turned the zebra's black stripes to white and white stripes to black! And the unhorsed Nazgul could then use the fearsome attack salamanders as mounts. The possibilities are endless.

Thanks Ro, this was a most entertaining diversion!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 4:20pm

Post #13 of 21 (113 views)
Shortcut
Correct. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron feigns (Tolkien's word) defeat and makes tracks back to Mordor. So we could see something like what's been suggested with the re-establishment of the flaming eye.

lembas_muncher
The Shire

Jun 17 2013, 4:35pm

Post #14 of 21 (111 views)
Shortcut
Haha.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny that I had the same sentiment exactly a month ago. .
Smile

http://newboards.theonering.net/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 7:46pm

Post #15 of 21 (81 views)
Shortcut
Barad-dur [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sauron feigns (Tolkien's word) defeat and makes tracks back to Mordor. So we could see something like what's been suggested with the re-establishment of the flaming eye.

Well, the Flaming Eye shouldn't reappear for about 10 years--not that Peter Jackson has shown any respect for timelines.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 8:31pm

Post #16 of 21 (82 views)
Shortcut
Ataahua I am with you [In reply to] Can't Post

at least on the fact that the Great Eye was not Sauron himself. Indeed it was a projected manifestation of his power. The Ever Watchful All-seeing Lidless Eye.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jun 17 2013, 8:32pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 8:34pm

Post #17 of 21 (78 views)
Shortcut
Thing is [In reply to] Can't Post

many people believed Sauron was that Eye. And found it a bit...ridiculous.

Vous commencez ŕ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 9:00pm

Post #18 of 21 (67 views)
Shortcut
what I meant was [In reply to] Can't Post

I always assumed the Necromancer was just a man that dabbled in the dark arts and got possessed by Sauron. so they wouldn't really kill him just his host body

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 17 2013, 9:33pm

Post #19 of 21 (70 views)
Shortcut
It would be.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If it were true. There is an opportunity here to clear up that misconception, depending on how they choose to wrap up the Necromancer storyline. If they do show the Eye I hope they do it in such a way as to remove that interpretation.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 10:29pm

Post #20 of 21 (56 views)
Shortcut
I think such an interpretation [In reply to] Can't Post

could have been dealt with in the appropriate place ie The Lotr films, more than a decade ago.

Better late than ever , and if they explain that, somehow, with the Dol Guldur storyline, then it could clarify those doubts.

Not that the people who thought about it at the time, consider it an unnervingly unanswered mystery Angelic

Vous commencez ŕ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 1:02am

Post #21 of 21 (60 views)
Shortcut
What Ataahua said [In reply to] Can't Post

The Red Eye was an artifact or device of Sauron's, at least in the novels. I read on Tuckborugh, that according to one of the Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Sauron was actually a tall man in black. I don't own The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, but Tuckborough.net references it.
And I think in The Return of the King, (the book) there is a scene that describes Sauron sitting in his tower. And Gollum in The Two Towers said he saw Sauron, and said "He had nine fingers, and that was enough."

(This post was edited by Ziggy Stardust on Jun 18 2013, 1:05am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.