Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What's the current consensus on the 'An Unexpected Journey' soundtrack Bonus Tracks?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jun 16 2013, 8:55pm

Post #1 of 8 (439 views)
Shortcut
What's the current consensus on the 'An Unexpected Journey' soundtrack Bonus Tracks? Can't Post

I'm sure this discussion has been had out before, but just for the heck of it: what's everybody's thinking on where these tracks are from:

• A Very Respectable Hobbit
  • Erebor
  • The Dwarf Lords
  • The Edge of the Wild

With the multitude of editing that went on with the music from AUJ, I suppose it's always possible these were meant for the first film and got cut - but their placement at the end of the soundtrack (and the fact that they're full blown unheard thematic material) leads me to suspect they're a taste of music from DOS.
I do hope we here these in the next film. They're absolutely gorgeous, and would provide a much different musical landscape (as opposed to AUJ, which used a lot of familiar material).

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jun 16 2013, 8:55pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 16 2013, 9:04pm

Post #2 of 8 (247 views)
Shortcut
Loved them [In reply to] Can't Post

I think what we got in the movie was fantastic. I'm a sucker for all of the music to be honest. Now it's a little different than the cd but I don't think it's a huge difference. I will say the cd is beautiful! I can't even count how many times I've listened to it. It gives me goosebumps the same way my EE scores do. Just absolutely love the music.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 16 2013, 9:04pm

Post #3 of 8 (242 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems that the first minute or so of 'Edge of the Wild' was intended to score the party journeying from Rivendell to the Misty Mountains. The main motif can be heard at the end of 'The World is Ahead', so it appears Shore may have intended this as another journey theme to complement the 'Misty Mountains' one. As it is, the latter theme is dominant in AUJ. The remainder of this track almost certainly was intended to score Gandalf's exploration of the High Fells, or at least part of it. Perhaps gives an indication as to where this scene would have fitted in the first film.

The other three tracks are probably concert suites, especially 'A Very Respectable Hobbit', which showcases Bilbo's main themes. Snippets of 'Erebor' and 'The Dwarf Lords' are heard elsewhere on the soundtrack, so we may hear these themes in some form in the next two films. I very much hope we do anyway.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jun 16 2013, 9:05pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2013, 9:09pm

Post #4 of 8 (228 views)
Shortcut
Mainly [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS material i think...

I wish the soundtrack established its own brand and feel very much like the lotr soundtracks, rather than living in the shadow if its predecessor. When people hear several lotr themes, they immediately recognize them.

With TH, with the exception of misty mountains, im not sure we can say the same thing.

I think my favourites there are the edge of the wild. and Erebor.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Mrredbirdy
The Shire

Jun 17 2013, 7:21am

Post #5 of 8 (129 views)
Shortcut
Bonus tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

These tracks are indeed beautiful, and I hope they will anyhow be included in DOS or the EE of AUJ.

->A very respectable hobbit:
Rumors tell that there will be scene in which Bilbo goes to the market in the Shire in the EE of AUJ. There will also be a scene that shows a young Bilbo playing with a dragon toy. These scenes go perfect with this bonus track. Don't know if "Dreaming of Bag End" is played in the credits. That track also goes well with the scenes described above.

->Erebor:
Also a glorious piece of music, but in a way more "cozy" than
"The Dwarf Lords" bonus track. Perhaps it will be played in a bonus scene in the EE of AUJ that will show a bit of the prosperous live the dwarves once had in Erebor.

->The Dwarf Lords:
Very glorious piece of music, but I can't place it anywhere. Perhaps some extra stuff about Erebor in the EE of AUJ or they will show the home of the dwarves in the blue mountains.
Maybe a flashback of the dwarven history will be shown. I don't see the track however fitting in DOS.

->The Edge of the Wild:
The most mysterious one and the most difficult one to analyse. The first minute feels like the company is walking again through Middle Earth landscapes, but then the tone changes completely in dark, chaotic and desperate mood which after another minute evolves in a silent and creepy mood. Near the end, 03:18, the music makes a loud bang.
I believe the company entered "The Edge of the Wild" after leaving Rivendell. So maybe this track has been replaced by "Over Hill". The dark side of the track fits well with Gandalf exploring "The High Fells", which are, I believe, not far away from Rivendell. But, "The High Fells" weren't shown in AUJ, so maybe this track will get its place in a flashback in DOS. Or maybe, but unlikely, "The High Fells" will be shown in the EE of AUJ.

I hope anyway, that we can expect a lot of new material in the EE of AUJ and that we get some new beautiful music in the EE of AUJ as a warm up for DOS!

(This post was edited by Mrredbirdy on Jun 17 2013, 7:29am)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 9:20am

Post #6 of 8 (114 views)
Shortcut
I would agree that "Edge of the Wild" [In reply to] Can't Post

was most likely written for the High Fells sequence thst we know was cut from AUJ (after all, it was shown last year at Comic-Con) and now has been pushed back to DoS - I would rather it could have been added into the AUJ EE but it seems it's too important a plot development to relegate to the EE...

The "Dreaming of Bag End" track strikes me as having been written initially for a possible scene on the Eagles' eyrie, where Bilbo, in the book, does indeed dream he is back in his cosy Hobbit hole. Obviously there doesn't seem to be any way such a scene could be fitted in now with the new end of AUJ, so will have to be left for the credits.

In Reply To
These tracks are indeed beautiful, and I hope they will anyhow be included in DOS or the EE of AUJ.

->A very respectable hobbit:
Rumors tell that there will be scene in which Bilbo goes to the market in the Shire in the EE of AUJ. There will also be a scene that shows a young Bilbo playing with a dragon toy. These scenes go perfect with this bonus track. Don't know if "Dreaming of Bag End" is played in the credits. That track also goes well with the scenes described above.

->Erebor:
Also a glorious piece of music, but in a way more "cozy" than
"The Dwarf Lords" bonus track. Perhaps it will be played in a bonus scene in the EE of AUJ that will show a bit of the prosperous live the dwarves once had in Erebor.

->The Dwarf Lords:
Very glorious piece of music, but I can't place it anywhere. Perhaps some extra stuff about Erebor in the EE of AUJ or they will show the home of the dwarves in the blue mountains.
Maybe a flashback of the dwarven history will be shown. I don't see the track however fitting in DOS.

->The Edge of the Wild:
The most mysterious one and the most difficult one to analyse. The first minute feels like the company is walking again through Middle Earth landscapes, but then the tone changes completely in dark, chaotic and desperate mood which after another minute evolves in a silent and creepy mood. Near the end, 03:18, the music makes a loud bang.
I believe the company entered "The Edge of the Wild" after leaving Rivendell. So maybe this track has been replaced by "Over Hill". The dark side of the track fits well with Gandalf exploring "The High Fells", which are, I believe, not far away from Rivendell. But, "The High Fells" weren't shown in AUJ, so maybe this track will get its place in a flashback in DOS. Or maybe, but unlikely, "The High Fells" will be shown in the EE of AUJ.

I hope anyway, that we can expect a lot of new material in the EE of AUJ and that we get some new beautiful music in the EE of AUJ as a warm up for DOS!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 2:44pm

Post #7 of 8 (78 views)
Shortcut
Debatable [In reply to] Can't Post

I and many others believe the soundtrack does a fine job of balancing existing themes with recognizable new material. There are a lot of new recognizable themes here in addition to the 'Misty Mountains' one - Thorin, Erebor, various Bilbo ones, Wargs, Goblins, etc. It would certainly help if the soundtrack as heard in the film better reflected the album release.

DOS will surely have an even more unique feel given the many new locations and characters we meet.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jun 17 2013, 2:48pm)

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 11:37pm

Post #8 of 8 (42 views)
Shortcut
I like them [In reply to] Can't Post

They are used all throughout the movie in different pieces of music (Thorin's theme uses Erebor), and they are very important to the overall composition of the work.

"Go on. Walk on. You must be destroyed."

"Good boy! That's the spirit! Bring my miserable line to an end. Up, up! Come, Scientist, destroy me! Destroy your creation! Come!"

~Frankenstein

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.