Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bolg/Gandalf scene?

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 16 2013, 4:59am

Post #1 of 5 (468 views)
Shortcut
Bolg/Gandalf scene? Can't Post

One of the recent threads had a slight mention of that action figure pack that makes one believe Gandalf will meet Bolg in these movies. Would this most likely be when he meets Thrain presumably in the dungeons area of Dol Guldur? Wouldn't Bolg be killed easily in such a conflict? Perhaps a stronger force will save Bolg or something. Can't wait to see this kind of stuff!

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jun 16 2013, 9:29am

Post #2 of 5 (197 views)
Shortcut
I always thought Bolg and Beorn were supposed to be each other's death enemies (possible spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

The description for Bolg's action figure reads:
Bolg is the offspring of Azog the Desecarator - like his father, he is a huge, pale Orc. He is the overseer in the dungeons of Dol Guldur, and torturing is his hobby. He garnishes his armor with the bones and the blood of his victims. This husky Orc fears nothing and nobody - until he suddenly faces an unexpected opponent.

We know that Mikael Persbrandt has said in an interview that he was "hoisted to the ceiling in a difficult torture scene". Furthermore, Bolg is apparently the chief torturer at Dol Guldur, so I think it's fair to assume that Beorn at some point is being tortured by Bolg (maybe in a flashback), which will help to build up the animosity between them, culminating in Beorn killing Bolg at BotFA. Bolg also wears bear paws as ornaments, indicating he's not the favorite orc among the shape shifting community...

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2013, 4:36pm

Post #3 of 5 (118 views)
Shortcut
This was hinted at by their packaging Bolg and Gandy together, in fact [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf was originally supposed to be "battle damaged" in the two-pack with Bolg (leading to apprehension around here as to how a Wizard could be "damaged" by a mere Orc when he faced down such enemies as the Balrog, the Witch-King ETC). It's possible the bio refers to Beorn, as well...we'll find out in six months.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 4:30am

Post #4 of 5 (62 views)
Shortcut
Things that will make me stop seeing these films: 1) If Gandalf comes up lacking in a one on one battle with [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg and has to be rescued by Beorn or anyone else, I am done with the franchise. I have made peace with a number of decisions I did not like, but there is a threshold of limitation.

In Reply To
Gandalf was originally supposed to be "battle damaged" in the two-pack with Bolg (leading to apprehension around here as to how a Wizard could be "damaged" by a mere Orc when he faced down such enemies as the Balrog, the Witch-King ETC). It's possible the bio refers to Beorn, as well...we'll find out in six months.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Jul 3 2013, 8:00pm

Post #5 of 5 (12 views)
Shortcut
"mere orc"... [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that Bolg as well as his pops(Azog) are NOT "mere orcs" or they do not suppose to be anyway! They are a older,more powerful breed that do not exist anymore and are not the cannon fodder that orcs later became (especially by the time of the War of the Ring)....just my belief.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.