Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What did the "not we" think of the new trailer?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 11:03pm

Post #26 of 40 (265 views)
Shortcut
Thorin is a bit old for her?? LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

That just tickled me, especially since there has been so much criticism of how young they're portraying him. Laugh

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 11:13pm

Post #27 of 40 (259 views)
Shortcut
I sent both my sisters the links to the trailer (and poster) [In reply to] Can't Post

They both loved it, and one of them instantly said she has to watch AUJ again.

For information, they have both read LOTR and The Hobbit many times (though not recently, like me). They are also quite involved in Tolkien's book world, in various ways (which I won't enlarge on here), so they do know his universe quite well, though they don't post on any message boards, or look for information about the film on Internet sites.

They are of the same view as I am – that the books are one thing, the films another, so for them comparisons between the two are irrelevant, as long as the spirit of Middle-Earth is retained in the films (which it is), and they like what they see on the screen. Like me, they think the casting and acting of the main characters – Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf, and also Balin – are superb, as are the characterization, visuals and music generally.

Both say they prefer AUJ to LOTR, even though the youngest one (about to watch AUJ again) didn't initially want to see The Hobbit at all, or even like LOTR until after AUJ came out.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 11:45pm

Post #28 of 40 (238 views)
Shortcut
Marriage [In reply to] Can't Post

has a specific meaning, including a legal meaning involving marriage licenses, taxes, etc. I described my "boyfriend" (if you will) of 15+ years, who was also the father of my biological children, as my "significant other", because while we cohabited, we did not marry. I did feel "boyfriend" was both inadequate to describe the duration and seriousness of the relationship, and juvenile-sounding (relationship ended when we were around 40), though I had used it when we were students and relatively new to one another.

I only used "husband" (inaccurate, we never married) when it was simpler and could not create confusion (as when speaking to someone I was unlikely to meet again and who had no need to know our legal status, like a saleslady helping me pick out clothes for him or someone like that).

Partner or life-partner sound cool to me too, but are not descriptions I have heard much (I;m in the US).

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 13 2013, 12:11am

Post #29 of 40 (235 views)
Shortcut
In The Spirit... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...as long as the spirit of Middle-Earth is retained in the films (which it is)...

Careful. That's an opinion. Stating it as fact begs for the kind of dissent driving a great many discussions here because it unambiguously claims you are right and any opinion otherwise is wrong. I'm not saying you are right or wrong. You know your your own tastes. I'm just making an objective observation that considers all points of view.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jun 13 2013, 12:13am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 12:16am

Post #30 of 40 (224 views)
Shortcut
OK, then – as long as the spirit…is retained (which it is, FOR ME). [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is what I meant – of course I am aware that the opinions of others could differ.

In Reply To

In Reply To
...as long as the spirit of Middle-Earth is retained in the films (which it is)...

Careful. That's an opinion. Stating it as fact begs for the kind of dissent driving a great many discussions here because it unambiguously claims you are right and any opinion otherwise is wrong. I'm not saying you are right or wrong. You know your your own tastes. I'm just making an objective observation that considers all points of view.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 13 2013, 12:17am)

Adanel
The Shire

Jun 13 2013, 1:03am

Post #31 of 40 (249 views)
Shortcut
Watched it with my Seven Year old [In reply to] Can't Post

He has become completely hobbit and Lord of the rings obssessed since I read him the Hobbit in December.
He has NOT seen AUJ or any Lord of the Rings movies.... too violent for him IMO so all he knows of the Hobbit is from the book, [and all he knows of LOTR is from the Lego PC game!] . He has seen the vlogs and youtube clips out of the movies that I think are ok for him.

He LOVED the trailer, very impressed with the Elvenking [ thats what he calls him rather than Thranduil as he is refered to as that in the book]. Beyond excited about seeing Legolas who is his favourite LOTR character " because he jumps high and shoots arrows", and when you are a 7 yr old boy how cool is that.

He loved the woodelves in the trees, which so many people here have complaints about.... "look at the elves being flash" he said, [actually I loved them too, just how I had imagined wood elves to be, darting through treetops]

Bilbo is his favourite hobbit character as he is small and ordinary like him and still has an adventure, but didnt mind there being less of him in the trailer, what he saw, Bilbo with the spider, Bilbo with the dragon, Bilbo in the treetops was enough for him.

He was out of his seat when Smaug appeared!

As I said his knowledge is all about the book, I have warned him there have been changes so he wouldnt be disappointed, told him Legolas would be there for example... [to which he said "of course he is there his Dad is the Elvenking"], and throughout the trailer he was excitedly recognising things he had read about... spiders, barrels, butterflies, Beorn, Bard... At the end of the trailer he accused me of putting him wrong, "you said it would be different from the book and its not!"

Unfortunately for him I think its still going to be too dark and violent for him to see at the movies yet, still have to break that news to him.

all in all it was a big hit, I had to spend yesterday evening dodging him as he leapt round corners pointing imaginary arrows at me saying "dont think I wont kill you dwarf" . Made it very difficult to cook tea I have to say.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 13 2013, 1:50am

Post #32 of 40 (211 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! That is brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I had to spend yesterday evening dodging him as he leapt round corners pointing imaginary arrows at me saying "dont think I wont kill you dwarf" . Made it very difficult to cook tea I have to say.

I love how kids throw themselves into their imagination! :D :D

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 2:10am

Post #33 of 40 (202 views)
Shortcut
American in Britain [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was an American living and working in north England, I found the term "partner" a bit odd at first, but that's just the term everyone uses across the pond. The differences between American and British English did cause a few laugh riots, for example when my (female) boss asked me if I had a rubber on me.

To the main point of the thread: I now live in southeast Asia, and people here were pretty blown away- many people in this part of the world think that "The Hobbit" is better than LOTR, because they really love action / adventure.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jun 13 2013, 3:24am

Post #34 of 40 (183 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Adanel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great post, thanks for sharing your son's reactions! I love seeing these things through the eyes of kids.

I've got a 7-year-old boy too (and a 5-yr-old), and they are both obsessive-geeky Hobbit and LOTR fans now, ever since we first read The Hobbit about 8 months ago. They've seen AUJ; I censored it heavily at first, but they've worked up to seeing all of it now with two exceptions: we still fast-forward through the Battle of Azanulbizar and Gollum's introduction, up to where he and Bilbo start interacting (beating a goblin to near-death and then skinning it alive is the most gruesome part of the movie, IMO). My 7-yr-old is very sensitive to scary things, but somehow he isn't bothered by what he's seen in AUJ. We've also watch all extended editions of LOTR -- again, heavily censored! -- and they love those movies too. I want to wait to read them the book until they can appreciate it a bit more. A few more years!

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 13 2013, 3:54am

Post #35 of 40 (170 views)
Shortcut
I loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't shown it to my wife yet. She loved LOTR, but wasn't impressed by AUJ especially because of the abrupt ending and has never read TH or the LOTR.

I loved AUJ, but for the non JRRT fanatics that I talked to it was kinda dull for them ... just a lot of running around and nothing new for the most part.

I think alot of that attitude was due it being made a trilogy and some material was "robbed" to make an extra film and would have contained more action which is what they expect I suppose ...

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Kimtc
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 4:49am

Post #36 of 40 (165 views)
Shortcut
Tis odd, since she has crushes on those geriatrics Pitt and Depp [In reply to] Can't Post

But Thorin seems old to her, probably because of the presence of Fili/Kili (makes him more paternal). I am personally thrilled they played him younger, because grumpy old dwarf doesn't light my fire in a movie (book is fine).

I do feel like this was a very elf-centric trailer, which clearly played to people like my generally dwarf-averse child. If the movie is the same, it may play to critics, too. There was a lot of carping about songs and no Viggo and blah blah blah. The presence of elves and humans might go over better.

Adanel
The Shire

Jun 13 2013, 5:16am

Post #37 of 40 (156 views)
Shortcut
Its good to know.. [In reply to] Can't Post

That I am not the only one with a 7 yr old Tolkien geek! He does get frustrated sometimes because none of his mates at school have any idea what he is talking about when he goes off on one of his Lord of the Rings tangents...

(This post was edited by Adanel on Jun 13 2013, 5:19am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 13 2013, 6:46am

Post #38 of 40 (139 views)
Shortcut
What a wonderful account! [In reply to] Can't Post

And what a great little geek you're raising. :) I laughed out loud at your tribulations while cooking dinner!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 7:50am

Post #39 of 40 (136 views)
Shortcut
My little brother's response was great [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of excitement haha he watched the whole thing with a grin on his face. Every now and then he'd point out his favorite bits from AUJ in the trailer. "Yes Radagast!" "Look Mitch it's that big orc again!" and my favorite "Oh my god is that thing going to talk!?" referring to Smaug haha the rest of my family really loved it (I watch the EE of LOTR all the time so they enjoy the movies). My dad goes "well that's gunna make a S**t ton of money" Laugh

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 13 2013, 8:17am

Post #40 of 40 (140 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

"well that's gunna make a S**t ton of money" Laugh

Ton and a half .. maybe two LOLWink

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.