Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Now that I've seen Smaug, I don't see him talking, AT ALL.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 7:33am

Post #26 of 30 (114 views)
Shortcut
I thought the opposite [In reply to] Can't Post

When he turns his head around the corner you see his mouth and face change as if about to speak. He will clearly show emotion well and his mouth looks more than capable to make talking look great! (I am leaving the theater if he doesn't talk like a dragon should).

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 13 2013, 8:06am

Post #27 of 30 (105 views)
Shortcut
really? [In reply to] Can't Post

(I am leaving the theater if he doesn't talk like a dragon should).

Having never heard one in person, I am just curious as to how one should sound?

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 11:16am

Post #28 of 30 (89 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes, that's true [In reply to] Can't Post

Reptiles are closely related to birds, though no one has yet found the exact connection between them.

My sister's parrots speak. One even has a comprehensive vocabulary, particularly of swear words…not taught to it by my sister, I hasten to add.

In Reply To
He is decidedly warmblooded, for one thing. He has avian or bat (thus mamallian) style wings, for another (flying reptiles extend their ribcages, but do not actually have wings they can beat independantly). Above all he is a magical creature, which negates everything regarding normal animals.

That said, if he WERE a more ordinary beast, he would likely be more closely related to the warmbloodied, avain kin Saurians than to actual lizards. And avains are known to be able to vocalize, some even to the point of repeating human speech, and all this with beaks much more hard to manuver than Smaug's mouth.

In Reply To

gleefindel

Jun 13 2013, 3:57pm

Post #29 of 30 (90 views)
Shortcut
Design of smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I was expecting them to incorporate the fact the smaug talks into his facial design i.e. a more human looking face so that smaug talking is believable.
Also, since smaug is the exception in peter jackson's films where no animals talk (even though they do in the book) I was expecting a more believable mouth for forming words

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 14 2013, 6:39am

Post #30 of 30 (77 views)
Shortcut
Probably with his mouth? haha [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

(I am leaving the theater if he doesn't talk like a dragon should).

Having never heard one in person, I am just curious as to how one should sound?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.