Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What happened to Smaug?? (Comparison Pics)

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 2:04pm

Post #1 of 20 (1407 views)
Shortcut
What happened to Smaug?? (Comparison Pics) Can't Post

Look at Smaug in AUJ:

http://screencapped.net/movie/lotr/displayimage.php?album=154&pid=504653#top_display_media

Now look at Smaug in the new trailer for DoS:

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-official-teaser-trailer-hd-mp4_000109901.jpg

Look at the size of the eye and nostrils, look at the nostirl in comparison to the top of his mouth...completely different.

Did the dragon in AUJ get eaten by the DoS Smaug?? As others have noted, looking at the one in AUJ I thought Smaug's figure was going to be much more streamlined and it was a look I was dying to see.

I'm afraid this might be a case like the With King's mace...PJ kept telling them to make it bigger. What I'm SHOCKED by is that Smaug has undergone design changes in the last 8 months.

(This post was edited by MorgolKing on Jun 12 2013, 2:07pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 2:07pm

Post #2 of 20 (854 views)
Shortcut
This is why... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not convinced the Smaug in the trailer will be the one we see in the final film.

telcontar7
The Shire

Jun 12 2013, 2:09pm

Post #3 of 20 (776 views)
Shortcut
The images are not too detailed [In reply to] Can't Post

You only see his nostril and eye in the first one, and he's obscured by darkness in the second one.
However, from what I can see the nostril looks the same and so does his eye. I'm not sure how you can compare his size since you can't see much in the first picture.

Skaan
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 2:12pm

Post #4 of 20 (755 views)
Shortcut
It was pretty obvious [In reply to] Can't Post

That Smaug's design would get changed.

They have mentioned loads of times in interviews that they hadn't really started working on Smaug yet when they were working on AUJ, because they hadn't finalised his design yet.

Also, by streamlined, do you mean having an almost snake-like body compared to a more bulky dragon? If so, i don't see what makes you think they're not going for that design anymore. Andy Serkis mentioned in an interview once how Smaug has an "enormously long tail", and i don't think they'd give him a tail like that if they're making him a bulky dragon.

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 2:15pm

Post #5 of 20 (737 views)
Shortcut
Not trying to be rude... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised you can't see the big difference. Most importantly in a general sense his head shape appears changed...just look at how the gold is falling over his face in AUJ.

To get specific, in AUJ one of his eyeballs could fill his nostril...in DOS it would take three or four. The spacing between his nostril and eye is also noticeably different.

But again the more important and striking difference is the shape of his head. I'm just shocked his design would not have not been finished in late November of last year and that it changed so drastically in the interim.

In Reply To
You only see his nostril and eye in the first one, and he's obscured by darkness in the second one.
However, from what I can see the nostril looks the same and so does his eye. I'm not sure how you can compare his size since you can't see much in the first picture.

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 2:18pm

Post #6 of 20 (653 views)
Shortcut
Didn't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I never really realized that. Why after years of preproduction would you not have the design finalized? Does those last extra months help that much? Wouldn't you want to have it finished for the sake of continuity?

By streamline I mean his head is a lot smoother and sleeker in AUJ.

In Reply To
That Smaug's design would get changed.

They have mentioned loads of times in interviews that they hadn't really started working on Smaug yet when they were working on AUJ, because they hadn't finalised his design yet.

Also, by streamlined, do you mean having an almost snake-like body compared to a more bulky dragon? If so, i don't see what makes you think they're not going for that design anymore. Andy Serkis mentioned in an interview once how Smaug has an "enormously long tail", and i don't think they'd give him a tail like that if they're making him a bulky dragon.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 2:19pm

Post #7 of 20 (699 views)
Shortcut
Slightly off-the-wall idea: a tribute to Ray Harryhausen? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps (as Shagrat suggests) the Smaug of the trailer will not be the Smaug of the film. I think most people were shocked that they revealed that much of him this early.

So here's a completely off-the-wall idea: when I saw Smaug, I honestly thought that he did not look CGI-- instead, I thought "Ray Harryhausen". Would it be possible that this was a one-off cameo of the Harryhausen technique, as a tribute to the late master, who we know Peter Jackson idolized and who just recently died? Or perhaps Smaug at this stage is only half finished, and they've first tried to nail a convincing 3-dimensional Harryhausenesque look, and later in post production will concentrate on the realism, using mo-cap technology a la Gollum.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Skaan
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 2:25pm

Post #8 of 20 (619 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing [In reply to] Can't Post

The reason it took them so long to finalise his design, is because there's loads of pressure on them in order to do it "just right". Also, i'm guessing his face took the longest to finalise, considering how they have to be able to give Smaug facial expressions and emotion (wich, judging from the teaser, seems like they did a good job on) and lip sync for when he talks that doesn't look silly

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 2:47pm

Post #9 of 20 (594 views)
Shortcut
Does not bother me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see a really big difference, personally. The nostril/eye size differences in particular are to me quite plausibly due to movement of that part of his face, due to the fact that most of it is obscured by gold in AUJ, and due to the different angles from which they are shown. I think the size of the eye in AUJ (not seen in the cap you provided, so going from memory may be deceptive because the bulk of the head (entire lower jaw, entire mouth) is buried under the mound of gold in that shot.

Bottom line - they were very careful to show us very little of Smaug's face in AUJ, from only one angle, and mostly obscured by gold. A considerable variation in head design could be reasonably consistent with what was shown.

I can't decide how i feel about the Smaug design at present. It is not awful, but I think I need to see it longer, with Smaug speaking and in a variety of angles/situations, to decide.

His size is definitely fine, though. He seemed pretty huge in the AUJ prologue and would have grown bigger in the intervening years.

telcontar7
The Shire

Jun 12 2013, 3:18pm

Post #10 of 20 (556 views)
Shortcut
Eyeball and nostrill [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how you can compare his eyeball size and his nostril in the AUJ pic since his eye is closed. Also, when he opens his eye the actual eyeball looks smaller than it might appear at first, but at that point you can't see his nostril to compare its size. Or maybe I just misunderstood the way you measured the dimensions.

(This post was edited by telcontar7 on Jun 12 2013, 3:22pm)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 3:44pm

Post #11 of 20 (617 views)
Shortcut
lol, seriously? [In reply to] Can't Post

why would they create a different looking dragon just for the trailer? Its the same one, we only saw the end of his nose in AUJ, we never saw his head which is what they just showed us.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 4:41pm

Post #12 of 20 (460 views)
Shortcut
I don't think we've seen enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

To make any sweeping statements. Until I see him in full, out of shadow, I'm not making any decisions on how he "should" look.

"And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates, I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people."~John Harrison..?

deskp
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 5:35pm

Post #13 of 20 (432 views)
Shortcut
little better view of him [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks alot better without all the shadow making him flat and bad looking.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2z70a43.gif

(This post was edited by deskp on Jun 12 2013, 5:40pm)

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 5:39pm

Post #14 of 20 (383 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

He does look better in that gif, thanks for posting. I expect he will look amazing in the movie.

His mouth curving up looks weird to me, but I suspect it was done to make his speech look more natural.

In Reply To
He looks alot better without all the show making him flat and bad looking.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2z70a43.gif

Erally
Bree

Jun 12 2013, 5:48pm

Post #15 of 20 (365 views)
Shortcut
He looks flat // [In reply to] Can't Post

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 6:10pm

Post #16 of 20 (423 views)
Shortcut
When Pete made King Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

there was a similar instance. When Kong had his first full reveal it was at the end of the first trailer. The Kong shown in that trailer looked only similar to the Kong seen in the actual movie. This was all on account that Pete and Co. didn't quite have their Kong finalized yet, but they felt obligated to show something. It doesn't matter whether or not this is how Smaug will look come December, but we're at the very least getting to see results.

Stigmata Script, a bastion for aspiring writers - http://stigmatascript.com/

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 6:17pm

Post #17 of 20 (370 views)
Shortcut
Who cares? Smaug just like Gollum. [In reply to] Can't Post

They could just go back to AUJ and fix it as they will do with the first Gollum in a future ULTIMATE edition.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Brennil Caladiel
The Shire

Jun 12 2013, 11:22pm

Post #18 of 20 (207 views)
Shortcut
liked AUJ better [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug in AUJ was a beautiful dragon, from what little we see of him. Smaug in the DoS trailer seemed, well, not quite as beautiful. Rougher, maybe a bit more dirty. Despite dragons being fierce enemies, I still think they should have a certain feel of awe and majesty and beauty.
I agree, I don't think this Smaug is the finished Smaug, and I agree it's probably because of all the pressure to get it right. Somehow it just doesn't make sense that PJ would guard the secret for this long, then show the entire head in the first trailer. Though he was in the shadows.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 13 2013, 12:39am

Post #19 of 20 (202 views)
Shortcut
His nostril becomes almost half when he inhales, as you can see at the very last second in the trailer... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it's at this point that his nostril exactly matches what we see at the end of AUJ.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2013, 3:47pm

Post #20 of 20 (116 views)
Shortcut
but we only saw smaug's snout and eye [In reply to] Can't Post

its not like they showed us his face and it looks nothing like it did in the AUJ.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.