Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Geeky observations. Mostly regarding weapons.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 1:12pm

Post #1 of 9 (458 views)
Shortcut
Geeky observations. Mostly regarding weapons. Can't Post

I made a weapons observations list back when AUJ was released, so I thought I would give it another go, although this is only a trailer.

To start of this section I would like to begin with this theory(though it is kinda obvious). The dwarves lose all their weapons either at the spider attack or when they are imprissoned in Thranduil's halls. They are given new weapons (and clothes) during their stay in Laketown. This can be seen throughout the trailer and I will try to clarify.

-Thorin is leaning on a sword, in the Dale clip, which is not Orcrist. It seems to be a man-made style of sword.

- Dwalin is carrying an axe or mace-like weapon. Also in the Dale clip.

-Dori is carrying a long sword on his back, far longer than any we have seen him with prior to this point. From the Dale clip.

- Ori defends against Beorn with his slingshot (lol, he should have learned by now Tongue ).

- Thorin is using an orc sword during the barrel escape. Most likely he snatched it from one of the attackers. This proves that Thranduil will take Orcrist, just like in the book.

- Kili is carrying a bow during the barrel escape.

-The dwarf that gets thrown through the air in his barrel snatches an orc axe midair. (It looks like either Dori or Bombur).

-Azog is not carrying any weapon(!).

-Two man-made swords are seen outside the hidden door when Balin says his lines. Also Bifur is carrying a sword of a kind.

- The standard elven soldiers seems to be using the same bow as Tauriel was using in the promo shot from last week.

-Legolas has his two white knifes from LotR, but his bow seems to be different. Kinda hard to tell.

Other geeky observations:

-As people have concluded, no, the statue the company climbs is not one of the two in front of the main gate. An interesting thing though, the statue seems to have the same kind of beard decoration that Thror had. On a side note, what a cool and unique staircase they use to climb the statue!

Feel free to contribute.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 1:45pm

Post #2 of 9 (252 views)
Shortcut
What about the sword Gandalf is holding in the DG shot... [In reply to] Can't Post

...where "Thrain" jumps on him from above?

http://i.imgur.com/6xyjUAU.jpg

It doesn't look like Glamdring's hilt... here's a better shot of it: http://i3.photobucket.com/...word_zpse3a96eb9.jpg

If it's not Glamdring, then it is safe to say that the Thrain backstory will be a flashback...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 2:39pm

Post #3 of 9 (194 views)
Shortcut
I think it is Glamdring [In reply to] Can't Post

The design looks very close to Glamdrings in regards to the blade. But there seem to be some differences. Nah, after looking really close, I don't think it is Glamdring. But where did he get a sword from then and how does he lose it?

Damn.. I really hope it isn't Glamdring and this is part of a flashback. Otherwise I can't see how the whole map and key thing will work out..

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12 2013, 4:14pm

Post #4 of 9 (163 views)
Shortcut
Excellent!! :D I'll be back again, and again... THANKS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Anubis
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 4:21pm

Post #5 of 9 (177 views)
Shortcut
Armors [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil´s armor looks pretty good. Its shoulder pads looks similar to Legolas´ shoulder pads. They both feature leaf motifs.

Also, the designs for the armors of Mirkwood´s soldiers are neat. However, they remind me too much of the Rivendell elves of the Second Age, albeit with a different combination of colors (gold and white, instead of gold and blue)

On a side note, and although it belongs to AUJ, I´ll just post this observation here. If you look closely, you´ll notice that Thrain´s shoulder pads and Thorin´s bracelets disappeared when they fought in Azanulbizar (they had them in the Erebor prologue). Perhaps they lost them while they were fighting?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 4:41pm

Post #6 of 9 (161 views)
Shortcut
Legolas' bow... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not good at telling weapons apart, but Legolas was given a bow in Lothlorien, which I would guess he used from there on (so, for the climactic fight sequence of FotR and for the entire next 2 films). This would be a logical reason for him to have a different bow, 60 years earlier.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 12 2013, 8:17pm

Post #7 of 9 (105 views)
Shortcut
Wen you talk about the Mirkwood armour..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...are you thinking of the elves in the clip with Azog? Because I'm not sure those are Mirkwood elves - they don't seem to match any of the other elves that we've seen. I don't know what's going on in that scene.

deskp
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 9:20pm

Post #8 of 9 (102 views)
Shortcut
they are mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

They are not the soldiers you see in the prologue, thats the army and they have similar armor to thanduil only darker.

The ones we see in the trailer is the guards of thranduils realm, you see them in the throne room in the PJ preview behind the scenes thing we got.

the army/guard desticnction is stuff i assume for stuff we've seen.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 12 2013, 9:57pm

Post #9 of 9 (86 views)
Shortcut
OK, thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't remember them from that.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.