Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Thank you!

sador
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 4:03am

Views: 32
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping to finish this summary by yesterday, but our home computer crashed, so I'll post it on Sunday from the office. But it's lovely that people are following it, despite it's falling to the second page!

Regarding the retroactive justification of Feanor - well of course; even Melkor could be justified retroactively, as Iluvatar said at the end of the Ainulindale! Also, remember Manwe's words at the beginning of chapter 11 and Mandos' reply. Here I was claiming something stronger - that if Men were out and about, being corrupted to Orcs at the very moment (according to Tolkien's latest idea) - then the Valar were surely in the wrong, and Feanor took the better decision (albeit with possibly the wrong motivation) at the very moment of rebellion. This would for sure controvert all that Tolkien intended!

And yes - re-reading Morgoth's Ring is highly recommended. Reading the whole series would be even better, but that would take long and is not for everybody's taste or range of interests.

'But my father loves them,' said Túrin, 'and he is not happy without them. He says that we have learned all that we know from them, and have been made a nobler people; and he says that the Men that have lately come over the Mountains are little better than Orcs.'
'That is true,' answered Sador; 'true at least of some of us. But the up-climbing is painful, and from high places it is easy to fall low.'

Who was right?
Join us in the Reading Room, for the discussion of Of the Coming of Men into the West, beginning on June 9!

Subject User Time
Of the Coming of Men into the West, II: "There is room in the world, if the Eldar will let us be!" sador Send a private message to sador Jun 11 2013, 1:49pm
    17/2, Story Time A - Who wants mortal guests? sador Send a private message to sador Jun 11 2013, 1:53pm
        'No Irish need apply" CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jun 12 2013, 2:37pm
            Thingol clerihew noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 12 2013, 3:14pm
        What's the Elvish word for "closed-minded?" telain Send a private message to telain Jun 13 2013, 11:37pm
        Caranthir and Thingol Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jun 20 2013, 2:55pm
        Summary, and my own responses sador Send a private message to sador Jun 24 2013, 11:38am
    17/2, Story Time B - The Council of Estolad sador Send a private message to sador Jun 11 2013, 1:59pm
        Bereg Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Jun 11 2013, 11:25pm
        Summary, and my own responses sador Send a private message to sador Jun 25 2013, 10:05am
    17/2, Text and Tradition A - The Blasphemous One sador Send a private message to sador Jun 11 2013, 2:03pm
        Some Morgothian theology Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jun 20 2013, 1:05am
        Summary, and my own responses sador Send a private message to sador Jun 25 2013, 12:08pm
    17/2, Text and Tradition B - The Darkness Behind (long) sador Send a private message to sador Jun 11 2013, 2:19pm
        I'm going to blame Sauron noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 12 2013, 3:28pm
        I'm tempted to blame Satan... FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Jun 12 2013, 4:11pm
        Summary, and my own responses sador Send a private message to sador Jun 25 2013, 1:11pm
            Summation Thanks! (and about Feanor) Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jun 27 2013, 9:23pm
                Thank you! sador Send a private message to sador Jun 28 2013, 4:03am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.