Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Strange Tengwar typo on Instrument. I Need YOUR help.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2013, 11:04pm

Post #1 of 7 (183 views)
Shortcut
Strange Tengwar typo on Instrument. I Need YOUR help. Can't Post

In trolling the Internet, I found this Instrument, It's called ocarina. The company STL made a Elf version with inscription.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/federico97/29b7f19006e3872a5efa8c9fc365ddc8_zps9169137d.jpg

If any of you are tengwar savvy, you will note and error in the last tengwa of the first word.
(maybe style errors too depending on the mode you use. I think it is a mix of English and Sindarin)

(Evern(g) child can) That is what it says. Its supposed to be EVERY, this is their motto. I wanted to enlist help to ask them to fix it. Contact info is here. Tolkienites of the World unite!

http://www.stlocarina.com/contact.html

If they get enough responses they will probably change it. Just take some time and clack out an email.

Thanks

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2013, 11:07pm

Post #2 of 7 (110 views)
Shortcut
Clarification [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, the pic is upside down BTW. but on the ocarina its OK.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 8 2013, 3:40am

Post #3 of 7 (120 views)
Shortcut
Technically... [In reply to] Can't Post

it reads: e v e r nw c h i l d c a n

And the "c h i l d" should be using the letter for "ch", not for "c" and "h" separately.

But I doubt they'd take the time to fix it, since they did a poor research job in creating it, and they've probably got a warehouse full of these pricey items! Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2013, 2:15pm

Post #4 of 7 (79 views)
Shortcut
Technically... [In reply to] Can't Post

True, depending on style/mode used. In Elvish "ch" takes the scottish sound in "loch"(See The Appendices). In English mode you could get away with it spelling-wise. I personally use phonetic spelling myself and thus I would suggest "kid" in place of child.They used a mix of Sindarin and English mode. Only long vowels are put on Long Carriers(See Appendices)
And the "Ch" in child is not found in English. Then you have got to determine if you will use the consonant value for "y" or the vowel value. It's kind of a mess. I was hoping if we just flooded them with requests they would agree to talk about it. We'll see how that works out.

It's easy, just send a short note, "Hey I am a Tolkien fan, and you misspelled this on your Elf ocarina"

Not meaning to be pushy hereSmile, but I think it would be cool if we saw this done.Cool

They only do a few at a time, so it wouldn't be a big deal changing it.IMO.

Thanks for reading!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 8 2013, 6:16pm

Post #5 of 7 (69 views)
Shortcut
Quite true! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's more wrong with it than just the mis-spellings.

Okay, you have convinced me, I've sent them a friendly "please look at this" note! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2013, 7:12pm

Post #6 of 7 (70 views)
Shortcut
Success!! [In reply to] Can't Post

ALRIGHT!!! AWESOME!!!!

I did spend a couple afternoons researching this, so it is very satisfying to see some results.

If they did this with a Star Trek/Wars item there would be a HUGE media firestorm.I just want to show them that Tolkien fans are just as committed.

(This post was edited by Rembrethil on Jun 8 2013, 7:16pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2013, 12:09pm

Post #7 of 7 (68 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wanted to say thank you, to everyone who may have helped but not posted. You've really supported the cause ,and Tolkien fandom.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.