Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 6 2013, 6:36am

Post #1 of 16 (218 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Last week was the late edition. This week, it's the early edition of the Walk to Rivendell! I'm grabbing the internet time while I can as my family is vacationing/visiting family in Arizona. Tomorrow, we're taking in the Grand Canyon before wending our way slowly homeward through the Colorado mountains. But, hey, there's a Walk to check in on! How's everyone doing?

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles reported last week: 269.54
Cumulative miles: 14564.8
Miles along the journey: 970.99
Miles out of the Lonely Mountain: 3.99

We made it; we're off the Eowyn Challenge charts. Fear not, though! Thanks to the ever-so-talented grammaboodawg, we have lovely mileage charts to follow at her site (see the link below). Which means I can share the news that this week, we're bidding farewell to Bard as he rejoins his people at the ruins of Dale, after saying our farewells to Thorin and his nephews, Fili and Kili, all of them slain in battle. I'm gonna miss those troublemakers.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 7
Cumulative miles: 617
Goal: There and Back Again!

I started the week strong with more gardening. Traveling and visiting with relatives hasn't involved as many miles as I would have liked, but they've all been interesting. We've been to the Painted Desert, seen thousand-year-old ruins of pueblos, and viewed planets and stars through the telescopes at the Lowell Observatory, among other things.

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 9
Cumulative miles: 593
Goal: Group Challenge

Beamer got in some extra distance swimming with her brother and their cousin - a necessary break from the heat when we visited Phoenix!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 6 2013, 10:52am

Post #2 of 16 (119 views)
Shortcut
What a trooper you are! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Still keeping us on the Road whilst travelling one yourself! *bows deeply* THANK YOU! What a great adventure you're on! I haven't spent any time in the Southwest, so you're inspiring me to get it added to my bucket list :)

I've finished my trip to Baltimore mileage and the madness of trying to get my neglected yard and animals back up to speed. But I had to do some very welcome and delicious walks around the block (4 miles of farm roads) in this GORGEOUS weather! Mid-60s and low 70s is perfection to me!

Bilbo, Gandalf and I are on our way to Frogmorton with the Old Forest getting closer and closer!

Take care, Arandiel and all our Fellow Travellers! See you on the Road!

Miles covered: 18
Cumulated miles: 2087
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Angharad73
Rohan

Jun 7 2013, 10:01am

Post #3 of 16 (71 views)
Shortcut
That's better! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you are having a great time on vacation, Arandiel!

We've finally had some better weather (after the floods subsided, at least where we live), so I've managed to get out more. And my daughter is back in school, so there's more time for exercise.

Miles covered this week: 39
Cumulative miles: 678

I've made it into Mirkwood. Not my favourite place...

ShyElf
Lorien

Jun 7 2013, 4:59pm

Post #4 of 16 (69 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like an awesome trip Arandiel! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you are wonderful for posting right in the middle of it all!!!

Miles this week: 3
Cumulative miles: 73.5

A couple of us at the office have been working hard to get a lunch-time walking group organized at my office. We've all been super-busy though, so it's been hard to pull folks from their desks and away from their tight deadlines. But, at our company meeting yesterday, our CEO spoke of our unsuccessful initiative and encouraged everyone to take advantage of any nice days and get out there for a walk, even if it is just a short one. Everyone needs a break! Hopefully this will motivate more of my fellow work-mates - it's always more fun in groups.

Mr. ShyElf did the same thing at his work, and he was way more successful than I was. Weather permitting - he (and all the ladies!) go out almost everyday at lunch-time for a walk. Such a ladies man! No wonder I love him.

Cheers!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jun 7 2013, 9:56pm

Post #5 of 16 (62 views)
Shortcut
more bad weather, but still going. [In reply to] Can't Post

wow, it sounds like you're having fun on vacation!

I got rained out most of this week, so not as many miles as I hoped for. This weather is seriously driving me crazy, but what can I do?

Miles covered this week: 8.5
Cumulative Miles: 162.77

Still on the East Road near the Midgewater Marshes, but we're nearing the end of them. About 7 miles till the marshes are behind us, then on to Weathertop! Cool

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jun 9 2013, 5:18pm

Post #6 of 16 (52 views)
Shortcut
Week 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

I left the camera at home much of the past two weeks hoping to get better mileage, so no pics this week. I've used weather as an excuse too much lately. Poor diet is a more accurate reason (but still no excuse).

Today will be stormy, so I won't get out again today. I may post some pics on the FanArt forum later. My car inspection is during my day off this coming week. I hope to log in some miles at the park next door during the inspection and, if all goes well, I can get in more afterwards.

My real hurdle is getting to walk daily.

So, to the numbers...

Total: 251.85
Total this Challenge: 171.75
This week: 16.74
Yet to go: 795.25

Continued good health and fortune to all,
Joe

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jun 9 2013, 8:10pm

Post #7 of 16 (58 views)
Shortcut
The pics I mentioned... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you like the stereograms, here's where I posted them in the Fan Art forum:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=612305;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Iolani
Rivendell

Jun 9 2013, 8:45pm

Post #8 of 16 (63 views)
Shortcut
New Summer Job [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a new summer day job, so I'll have a hard time getting mileage. I have no mileage to report this week. I just wanted to let you guys know that so you'll know what to expect for now. I'll still try to get some mileage on the weekends, just to keep going! After all, I can't just STOP...that would be stupid. Wink And the journey must go on! Laugh

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 10 2013, 4:23pm

Post #9 of 16 (43 views)
Shortcut
It's always nice when the weather cooperates :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Taking walks is supposed to be a simple thing! Have a great week, Angharad73!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 10 2013, 4:28pm

Post #10 of 16 (45 views)
Shortcut
Are the neekerbreekers singing to you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nasty things! It looks like you got some good miles in despite the weather :) WELL DONE!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 10 2013, 4:32pm

Post #11 of 16 (45 views)
Shortcut
My workplace does incentives [In reply to] Can't Post

to get us up and about. We keep track quarterly of how far we've walked (or the equivalent of walking). If we surpass a certain goal, we get a $35 gift certificate for stores, restaurants, movies, etc. Adds up nicely over the year :D

Good for you on getting the troops moving! It's like trying to herd cats, right? ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 10 2013, 4:37pm

Post #12 of 16 (41 views)
Shortcut
Love the Legos! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got Frodo with the Book sitting right here in front of me :D

My daughter (in Baltimore) has to struggle with inspections, too. NOT FUN! And very expensive! I hope yours goes smoothly and you can celebrate with a really nice walk :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 10 2013, 4:39pm

Post #13 of 16 (45 views)
Shortcut
That's the spirit!! *high five* [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely keep on truckin' and just do mileage when you can. Congrats on getting the summer job, though. Those seem to be hard to come by in some places. :) Thanks for the heads-up!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Jun 10 2013, 10:26pm

Post #14 of 16 (41 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate the encouragement! I was able to do about 20 miles yesterday, (biking/walking) so I'll definitely have something to show by the end of the week. Wink

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jun 11 2013, 3:39am

Post #15 of 16 (45 views)
Shortcut
ha, indeed, they are... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I'm happy to report that I hit the 170 mile mark today, which means I reached the south-east tip of the marshes, so I no longer have to endure the neekerbreeker "lullabies". eeek.... I feel itchy just thinking about those pesky things!

ShyElf
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 11:58pm

Post #16 of 16 (55 views)
Shortcut
That is a wonderful idea Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! I will mention this to my team!

Cheers!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.