Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Daniel Day Lewis for Beorn....ya, i went there.

scottlaufer07

Dec 22 2007, 4:23am

Post #1 of 25 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Daniel Day Lewis for Beorn....ya, i went there. Can't Post

what do you guys think? the word perfect comes to mind. And this is my first post so hello all! looking forward to spending alot of time on here from now until 2011

Patty
Immortal

Dec 22 2007, 5:30am

Post #2 of 25 (1281 views)
Shortcut
Hello and welcome to TORN [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you'll stay and post often.

As for DDL, I don't really see him as Beorn. I see someone a bit stockier. And someone so well known as he is might take me out of the movie experience. It's fun to speculate, but really I'd rather see some more relative unknowns.

For Gondor!

(This post was edited by Patty on Dec 22 2007, 5:35am)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2007, 5:34am

Post #3 of 25 (1288 views)
Shortcut
He seems more Bard-y to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I think I'm going more the Hugh Jackman way for Bard... I blame Van Helsing. An unknown wouldn't be bad, either.

As for Beorn, definitely someone more stockier, larger... someone like John Rhys-Davis. Only not him :P

I'd elect the guy who plays Hagrid, but that would be as a bad as Ian McKellen playing Dumbledore. I really cannot think of anyone on the top of my mind right now.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Patty
Immortal

Dec 22 2007, 5:37am

Post #4 of 25 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he does seem more of a match for Bard... [In reply to] Can't Post

um, Bob Hoskins ? Too cockney?

For Gondor!

And back again
Rivendell

Dec 22 2007, 5:49am

Post #5 of 25 (1274 views)
Shortcut
No, no, no ,no ,no [In reply to] Can't Post

Daniel Day-Lewis... no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Beorn is my favourite character in The Hobbit and DDL doesn't even come close to being my favourite anything.

scottlaufer07

Dec 22 2007, 9:09am

Post #6 of 25 (1263 views)
Shortcut
ok [In reply to] Can't Post

ok thats cool. im open to having an unknown....actually i prefer it. it s a wait and see.

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 22 2007, 3:15pm

Post #7 of 25 (1256 views)
Shortcut
You know, I feel the same [In reply to] Can't Post

about having unknowns in these roles. Even though many of the LOTR actors were well-known, I personally didn't know who a lot of them were (wasn't much of a movie-goer at the time). I've always felt that was part of why I was able to just get swept up in it. I never felt like I was watching 'someone playing someone else'.

Plus there's always room in the world for discovering another Orlando or two Smile.

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 22 2007, 3:15pm

Post #8 of 25 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Hi and welcome ! // [In reply to] Can't Post

carrioncrow
Lorien

Dec 22 2007, 5:18pm

Post #9 of 25 (1242 views)
Shortcut
beornagain [In reply to] Can't Post

When I think of 'name actor' for Beorn the one that comes mind is Jean Reno.

He's older and has an interesting character face. and does 'gruff-detachment-with-a-heart-of-gold' well

scottlaufer07

Dec 22 2007, 10:22pm

Post #10 of 25 (1242 views)
Shortcut
maybe? [In reply to] Can't Post

this donst look like a good beorn?
http://blog.spout.com/wp-content/uploads/daylewis.jpg

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 23 2007, 12:03am

Post #11 of 25 (1251 views)
Shortcut
How about Kevin McNally? [In reply to] Can't Post

He played Joshamee Gibbs in Pirates of the Caribbean.
http://images.google.com/...&sa=N&tab=wi

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

stormcrow20
Gondor

Dec 23 2007, 5:01am

Post #12 of 25 (1275 views)
Shortcut
How about Sala Baker or Lawrence Makoare? [In reply to] Can't Post

They are stocky enough, but can they act?

Behold the magic of the Holiday Season!

Before: After:

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 23 2007, 5:08am

Post #13 of 25 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Lawrence would be great. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can easily see him turning into a bear.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

outerone80

Dec 23 2007, 5:02pm

Post #14 of 25 (1207 views)
Shortcut
Yeah...... NO! [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I think Daniel Day Lewis is one of the greatest actors, he would never ever do this movie. He does about 1 movie every 10 years so when the Hobbit goes into production, hes on vacation.

Plus I would like to see another no-name cast, Peter and co. are excellent casters so Im sure they will do a good job.

burrahobbit
Rohan

Dec 24 2007, 12:02am

Post #15 of 25 (1227 views)
Shortcut
I always pictured Beorn played by Brian Blessed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there scott!

If you don't know him Brian Blessed is a British TV actor, described as having a 'booming voice, great beard and robust build' (robust is a generous description...) His roaring laugh is just like I imagine Beorn's.

Brian's probably a bit old now and his acting is pretty hammy, but hopefully someone similar will come along.

scottlaufer07

Dec 24 2007, 2:07am

Post #16 of 25 (1194 views)
Shortcut
yea [In reply to] Can't Post

yea good call....he would never do it lol. i forgot how picky he is.

but yea all you guys seem to have a sort of "fat" beorn in mond...i pictured a sort of big muscular man for some reason

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 24 2007, 2:36am

Post #17 of 25 (1260 views)
Shortcut
My first thought for Beorn was this World Cup Rugby player [In reply to] Can't Post

by the name of Sébastien Chabal who plays for France.

~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2007, 3:36am

Post #18 of 25 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Good call. [In reply to] Can't Post

As a rugby player he's fast and frightening, with a lot of flair. He's a great template for Beorn.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 24 2007, 7:01pm

Post #19 of 25 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Dan Hagggerty / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Dec 25 2007, 5:26am

Post #20 of 25 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Thus far in this chain, I like the Brian Blessed idea the best, although he might be a bit old for the part. Of course, Rhys-Davies was no youngster when he played Gimli . . .
Jean Reno's accent would ruin it. DDL is just wrong. Hugh Jackman . . . maybe, but something about that isn't right. Too well known. Hadn't though of Dan Haggerty in years; hopefully it won't take long to forget him again Wink.

Just had another thought . . . . . . . . . what about Rutger Hauer?

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 25 2007, 3:58pm

Post #21 of 25 (1169 views)
Shortcut
This brings up another question how old is Beorn. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the books it talks about him having children (his family were called the Beornings), so at the time Bilbo meet him maybe he was to young to start a family, well other than his animals.

~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2007, 8:18pm

Post #22 of 25 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Oh, wow, I love Rutger. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure he'd make a good Beorn with his lovely fair coloring. But I just lover Rutger Hauer, and I had to say so. :o)

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Dec 26 2007, 5:36am

Post #23 of 25 (1169 views)
Shortcut
Rutger as Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, darken up the hair, give him a big, dark beard and I think it works . . .
. . . most of that role is going to be done with the eyes and the voice (kinda like JRD as Gimli)

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

(This post was edited by TomthePilgrim on Dec 26 2007, 5:37am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 27 2007, 1:05am

Post #24 of 25 (1167 views)
Shortcut
A chance for a little shade in Hobbit, and good acting to boot [In reply to] Can't Post

As one who wouldn't have minded seeing at least a taste of colour in LOTR outside of the orks and servants of Sauron, I'd love to see, say, Lawrence Fishburne, as Beorn. The hair and beard and added height are easy to add, and he could be lightned a little, and he has both a muscular build and a BOOMING voice. Beorn is swarthy anyway. I think it would work wonderfully.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 27 2007, 2:45am

Post #25 of 25 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea saga will get no further than TV, why not? I'd love to someday see him play Sparrowhawk though!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.