Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Lord of the Rings casting: gender-swap version

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

May 30 2013, 11:10pm

Post #1 of 20 (347 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings casting: gender-swap version Can't Post

I saw this and thought it was fun: http://october-26.livejournal.com/371384.html?format=light

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 31 2013, 12:14am

Post #2 of 20 (172 views)
Shortcut
fantastically neat idea [In reply to] Can't Post

... tho i disagree with most of the swaps in the link (although glen close as denethor is +awesome+!).

what would be yours?

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

May 31 2013, 2:19am

Post #3 of 20 (151 views)
Shortcut
I'm not very clever about those things [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm not that up on modern actors. But I enjoyed what this person put together.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 31 2013, 7:51am

Post #4 of 20 (161 views)
Shortcut
OK list [In reply to] Can't Post

It could do without Keira Knightley (who I think for all her looks is an atrocious actress), though Helen Mirren as Saruman is quite an interesting idea.

However, I don't agree with their choice for Gandalf-it has to be either Maggie Smith or Jennifer Saunders.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 31 2013, 1:22pm

Post #5 of 20 (131 views)
Shortcut
Fun idea, my take on girls [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen = Tom Hiddleston or Henry Cavill
Eowyn = Chris Hemsworth
Galadriel = Alexander Skarsgaard

Elwen
Lorien

May 31 2013, 1:25pm

Post #6 of 20 (118 views)
Shortcut
I too thought Maggie Smith [In reply to] Can't Post

for Gandalf. I like the idea of Keira Knightley though.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Magpie
Immortal

May 31 2013, 1:47pm

Post #7 of 20 (128 views)
Shortcut
now see, I think Kiera is a really good actress [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually think she looks a bit odd, not pretty. But even though I could easily find that perceived 'oddness' distracting, I don't. And I find I really like her in lots I see her in and I think she does a lot better job than many people give her credit for.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

May 31 2013, 1:50pm

Post #8 of 20 (124 views)
Shortcut
ahem... women. [In reply to] Can't Post

please. :-)

If Aragorn, Elrond, or Gandalf aren't boys... then anyone over the age of 16 isn't a 'girl'. :-)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

May 31 2013, 2:14pm

Post #9 of 20 (125 views)
Shortcut
There's only one problem I have with this list... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not enough eye candy. The guy who plays Arwen is not to my liking...I'd prefer Hugh Dancy.

I never thought I'd say that.
I am now laughing because I realise how little the guys have to look at in the trilogy.

I love being female.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace, for I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on May 31 2013, 2:23pm)

Elwen
Lorien

May 31 2013, 2:31pm

Post #10 of 20 (106 views)
Shortcut
I agree completely. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think she's quite talented.

And actually, the "little bit odd" aspect helps with the elf thing, as they are such different beings.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 31 2013, 3:57pm

Post #11 of 20 (101 views)
Shortcut
She was terrible as an archer and warrior in King Arthur so no Keiragolas [In reply to] Can't Post

I also didn`t like Cate Blanchett in the similar role in Robin Hood so I don`t want her as Aragorn either.

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 31 2013, 4:03pm

Post #12 of 20 (97 views)
Shortcut
Fine, women! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, those men from my list are way more beautiful then women who played actual characters, yes, even Liv Tyler who was so incredibly gorgeous and true Arwen. But there isn`t a human or other being more beautiful than Henry Cavill. Or Tom Hiddleston in The Avengers (Loki with long hair = the Evenstar of Asgard). And Alexander Sarsgaard is so perfectly Elvish while Hemsowrth is a true Prince(ss) of Rohan.

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 31 2013, 4:04pm

Post #13 of 20 (95 views)
Shortcut
While blond wig and contacts worked for OB, I doubt they would on KK [In reply to] Can't Post

My pick for Legolas would be Saoirse Ronan as long as they don`t bleach her eye-brows like in Hanna. But she has a real Elvish look about herself.

Magpie
Immortal

May 31 2013, 4:40pm

Post #14 of 20 (92 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

if the prep for the actors was as rigorous for King Arthur as it was for LOTR?

I know that Orlando went through quite a lot of training but I have no clue what training KK received. Their attempt for some sort of historical accuracy was certainly not very high for King Arthur! (I enjoy the movie but seriously... Woads? And those costumes for the Woads.)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 31 2013, 4:45pm

Post #15 of 20 (88 views)
Shortcut
They seem to like historical inaccuracy for Arthurian films [In reply to] Can't Post

John Boorman's 'Excalibur' featured Knights who wore armour from completely the wrong time period. It was quite a good film aside from that though, which is something that I can't say for 'King Arthur' (though that's only my opinion).

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 31 2013, 5:06pm

Post #16 of 20 (81 views)
Shortcut
Woad costume = Slave Leia costume in ROTJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh
I honestly doubt they wore anything like it

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 31 2013, 5:18pm

Post #17 of 20 (78 views)
Shortcut
Arnold Schwarzenegger to play Eowyn... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cause I'd love to hear him do the "I an no man!" Line…

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 31 2013, 5:22pm

Post #18 of 20 (72 views)
Shortcut
he`d make it iconic unlike the movie one [In reply to] Can't Post

that never became quotable.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

May 31 2013, 5:37pm

Post #19 of 20 (68 views)
Shortcut
Good one! [In reply to] Can't Post

*High five*
Laugh

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace, for I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

imin
Valinor

May 31 2013, 6:32pm

Post #20 of 20 (81 views)
Shortcut
Haha!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be brilliant! I can hear it now along with his crazy scream/shout! LaughLaughLaughLaugh

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.