Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Beorn's Mead

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 26 2013, 3:36am

Post #1 of 17 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's Mead Can't Post

Mead

Doeas anyone make mead anymore such as would have been quaffed in Viking and Tolkiens sagas?

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

elaen32
Gondor

May 26 2013, 5:49am

Post #2 of 17 (336 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Mead is still brewed in parts of the UK, especially Wales and Cornwall. Whether it's still like that made by Vikings etc, I don't know, but its based on fermented honey and can be v potent. It's mostly a specialty drink these days and found a lot in tourist shops

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

May 26 2013, 6:58am

Post #3 of 17 (305 views)
Shortcut
Yes, indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a good website with lists of local producers.
http://www.gotmead.com/www.bemrose.co.nz/
In PA
http://www.gotmead.com/...0&limitstart=120

We have three meaderies in Wellington, and husband and I are enjoying sampling Beorn's brew.

Eruwestial37
Lorien

May 26 2013, 7:21am

Post #4 of 17 (272 views)
Shortcut
Renaissance Faires [In reply to] Can't Post

in the US generally have it. I tried it once, not my favorite.
You can find many different craftsmen and women who travel to the Faires in the US. Some Faires have very strict rules forbidding anything that isn't something you'd find in the Middle Ages (or Middle Earth). Dressing up to go to the one near here is really fun. It runs all summer long. It's between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 26 2013, 8:03am

Post #5 of 17 (251 views)
Shortcut
I've had it before [In reply to] Can't Post

At one of the Reaissance Faires you mentioned in Upstate New York near Sterling (close to Oswego) on the shore of Lake Ontario and it was a blast!!!

I had mead too but wasn't sure if it was the same as mead from say Beowulf times or Beorns hives.

I didn't realize it was so simple to make either!

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 26 2013, 9:36am

Post #6 of 17 (229 views)
Shortcut
Colorado Renaissance Festival [In reply to] Can't Post

8 Weekends June to August
in it's 37th Year.

Last Time Bomby&Goldberry went
was pretty impressive!

Much was related to MiddleEarth!
The Permanent structures are a
Delight.
They even have Jousting!
Located half way between Denver and Colorado Springs
the Surrounding Mountains and Outcroppings look
like Weathertop.
So much to do & see
plan to spend the Whole Day!
Many Vendors travel from one Festival to the Next.
(What a Life?)

http://coloradorenaissance.com

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26 2013, 12:04pm

Post #7 of 17 (195 views)
Shortcut
I've been to Havills Mazer meadery in Rangiora [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother is into brewing, and when I visited friends last November, I went to Havills at his request. We tasted some of his mead, and I brought three bottles home to the US - one for me, and two for my brother. It was excellent, and I was pleased to see it on the shelves at New World on the South Island.

PattyJB
Rivendell

May 27 2013, 7:22pm

Post #8 of 17 (93 views)
Shortcut
Yes, in North Carolina, Starrlight Mead [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a meadery in the town where I live. They keep the bees right on the grounds and use their own honey to make the mead. In the summer, they make a blackberry mead that is delicious.

Home page: http://starrlightmead.com/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/starrlightmead

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

May 27 2013, 11:43pm

Post #9 of 17 (88 views)
Shortcut
I've only ever seen it in one liquor store here in NJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've tried from a meadery called B. Nektar, they have quite a few different varieties of mead. Pretty sure they are based in Michigan somewhere. Excellent stuff - especially the wildflower and orange blossom varieties.

Just as a side note, be careful if you come across anything spelled "meade" instead of "mead" - I was informed that if it has an "e" on the end, it's not actually fermented honey wine, it's fermented grape wine with honey added.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

May 28 2013, 2:24pm

Post #10 of 17 (77 views)
Shortcut
I have had some in Texas [In reply to] Can't Post

from Bell Mountain Winery.

It is sweet, but not syrupy. I don't generally like wine at all, but this stuff is good. It also comes in a lovely cobalt blue bottle with a picture of colorful wildflowers on the label.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Tintallė
Gondor

May 30 2013, 7:01pm

Post #11 of 17 (100 views)
Shortcut
One word: Bevmo [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.bevmo.com/...p;D=mead&Ntk=All

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

May 30 2013, 8:21pm

Post #12 of 17 (44 views)
Shortcut
Note on Bevmo: Mead by any other name would not taste as sweet. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Chaucer's seems to be made only with honey.

Bunratty Mead says on its website that it is wine made with "pure honey, fruit of the vine and natural herbs", so with grape wine added, I assume.
http://homepage.eircom.net/...nery/historymead.htm RE salmacis81's post about mead vs meade: it's interesting that the one advertised on Bevmo (USA) is spelled meade, but on their website (Ireland) it is mead. Could that be a labeling/marketing thing to show outside Ireland that it is not made solely from honey? It might be delicious, but is it the mead the OP was looking for?

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

May 30 2013, 8:26pm

Post #13 of 17 (60 views)
Shortcut
New World! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll check it out in Wellington. Thanks.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 31 2013, 1:19pm

Post #14 of 17 (38 views)
Shortcut
I blame Prof. Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

for a very embarrassing encounter with mead...I think it was at Lindisfarne (Holy Island) in Northumberland (England). I was a very naive college student touring the historic area, and went into a shop where they were handing out samples of their mead. I figured, Hey, this can't be too strong, it's made from honey and Bilbo drank it...

HA!

I took a fairly big sip and nearly coughed my lungs out, much to the amusement of my friends. I never did actually get to taste it because I was too busy spluttering and hacking. I tell you I can still feel the burn...

Here is a link to the Lindisfarne Mead website. I'm told it's very good but I can't verify that for you. Wink

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

elaen32
Gondor

May 31 2013, 4:54pm

Post #15 of 17 (33 views)
Shortcut
Yes, those pious monks certainly made some potent liquor [In reply to] Can't Post

And passed the recipe down the generation. That story reminds me of my brother and I at the tender ages of 8 & 11 deciding to sample my dad's miniature collection, including Ye Olde Moorland Meade. Boy, were we in trouble, not to mention sick!

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 31 2013, 5:15pm

Post #16 of 17 (28 views)
Shortcut
I'm impressed [In reply to] Can't Post

that at that age you managed to get enough down to make you sick! Tongue Wink

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

elaen32
Gondor

May 31 2013, 5:20pm

Post #17 of 17 (37 views)
Shortcut
Well, I don't think it was as strong as the Lindisfarne stuff! [In reply to] Can't Post

And we only had tiny sips as I recall. Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.