Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I can partly predict some box office results for the next hobbit film
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Welsh hero
Gondor

May 26 2013, 4:12pm

Post #26 of 42 (215 views)
Shortcut
Iron man 3 just beat Return of the king........ [In reply to] Can't Post

Now at $1,142,306,000

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 26 2013, 6:01pm

Post #27 of 42 (200 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that number is clearly adjusted to 2003 prices of admission... [In reply to] Can't Post

...not. Tongue

No offense fans but that movie was horrible. I enjoyed the first Iron Man but the second and third were really bad. I watched the third yesterday thanks to good reviews and recommendations and I want my money and time back.

(This post was edited by Semper Fi on May 26 2013, 6:05pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

May 26 2013, 6:29pm

Post #28 of 42 (171 views)
Shortcut
Well it's hard to adjust world wide ticket prices for inflation [In reply to] Can't Post

Easy to do domestic, but not world wide

-Irfon

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 26 2013, 6:32pm

Post #29 of 42 (170 views)
Shortcut
Correct me if I`m wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

But were markets such as China big 10 years ago or not? It kinds doesn`t make sense that China was a big money maker a decade ago since they opened their market in recent years. Same goes for former Eastern Block such as Russia.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 26 2013, 6:41pm

Post #30 of 42 (159 views)
Shortcut
Thor will probably see a 100 million dollar increase due to Avenger reflection, but still not cross the 300 million dollar threshold. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Desolation will beat it, by virtue of doing as well as or slightly better than An Unexpected. Of course, the Dragon REALLY being in the film could raise that significantly, especially if he is flawlessly done and generates alot of extrafan social hype.

In Reply To
Is THE franchise of this generation.

Middle-earth isn't (anymore)... and wasn't even before reviews of AUJ were mixed. The recent superhero movies created much bigger hype and media coverage.

As long as DoS does well (around the same numbers as AUJ +/- 100 Mio), that should be enough... I think who expects the numbers of the topselling Marvel franchises will be in for a dissapointment.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Welsh hero
Gondor

May 26 2013, 6:51pm

Post #31 of 42 (162 views)
Shortcut
Usually it's chineese films that did well in China, true [In reply to] Can't Post

Not many Forgein films go big in China even today. Some films are not even released in China

-Irfon

Kimtc
Rohan

May 26 2013, 6:56pm

Post #32 of 42 (157 views)
Shortcut
Loki has excellent hair in Thor 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be enough to attract the crowd here (see: threads dedicated to Thorin's hair).

LordotRings93
Rohan

May 26 2013, 7:42pm

Post #33 of 42 (167 views)
Shortcut
It'll make a billion no doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

If AUJ, with it's mixed reaction from critics, can make it to 1 billion, then DoS will DEFINITELY reach that in a shorter span. Granted, not as fast as Iron Man, but still make more by the end of its run. With AUJ's cliffhanger, people want to see Smaug, and if the advertising campaign is amazing, then no doubt it'll make big money. This is why I hope we get something at Comic-Con in July. It's good publicity and a chance to show new stuff. But seeing as how pickups are going on, PJ and co. probably won't make it. But ya never know, right?

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Arannir
Valinor

May 26 2013, 8:31pm

Post #34 of 42 (148 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I also did not mean that every Marvel movie will make it. But in genera the buzz those movies and franchise creates at the moment is much much higher compared to what the Hobbit created, even before AUJ reviews were mixed.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Elessar
Valinor

May 26 2013, 11:35pm

Post #35 of 42 (136 views)
Shortcut
Not surprising [In reply to] Can't Post

Marvel is hot and I think things will continue for them for a while. I expect Thor 2 to also crack 1 Billion. Now, I enjoyed Iron Man 3 quite a bit but this is a case where they money doesn't work out to which movie is better. Iron Man 3 could only hope to be as good as Return of the King.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 27 2013, 2:41pm

Post #36 of 42 (107 views)
Shortcut
Remember, the Chinese LOVE Dragons!/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

May 27 2013, 2:57pm

Post #37 of 42 (109 views)
Shortcut
I expect we will [In reply to] Can't Post

All love dragons by the end of part 2.

Elenorflower
Gondor

May 28 2013, 1:47pm

Post #38 of 42 (78 views)
Shortcut
good point [In reply to] Can't Post

I do hope they show us Dale, Erebor and eventually Laketown so we can get a sense of the landscape and the towns, and the cultures. Thats what I loved about LOTR the way they set up the differing realms so well. the details of Rohhirim decoration and the architecture of Minas Tirith, its all good stuff.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on May 28 2013, 1:49pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 28 2013, 7:00pm

Post #39 of 42 (62 views)
Shortcut
Lake-town [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I do hope they show us Dale, Erebor and eventually Laketown so we can get a sense of the landscape and the towns, and the cultures. Thats what I loved about LOTR the way they set up the differing realms so well. the details of Rohhirim decoration and the architecture of Minas Tirith, its all good stuff.

The company spends a good deal of time in Esgaroth (at least two weeks, in the book) so we should get a pretty good feel for Lake-town by the time that they head up-river to the Lonely Mountain. I doubt that we'll see much of Dale except in flashback. The city is in ruins when Bilbo and the Dwarves pass through and it won't be restored until well after Bilbo returns home. There just isn't much reason to linger there.

I don't think that we will see much of the interior of Erebor (other than Smaug's treasure chamber) until There and Back Again. The same goes for the guardhouse at Ravenhill.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elenorflower
Gondor

May 28 2013, 8:18pm

Post #40 of 42 (63 views)
Shortcut
I heard somewhere [In reply to] Can't Post

cant remember exactly where,that they were using the Dale set a lot, or were getting their moneys worth out of it. I presumed they meant that a good section was being filmed in Dale, maybe I am mistaken though, it was ages ago I read this. ((or maybe I just imagined it, it wouldnt be the first time Crazy))

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 28 2013, 9:47pm

Post #41 of 42 (47 views)
Shortcut
Okay, but ruined Dale, or pre-attack Dale? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that part of the encampment of Men and Elves is in ruins of Dale. That may be where (SPOILER WARNING) Bilbo brings the [redacted] to Bard and the Elvenking {SPOILER ENDS). That might account for what you remember.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elenorflower
Gondor

May 29 2013, 12:55am

Post #42 of 42 (46 views)
Shortcut
what accounts for what I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

largely depends on how much chocolate I consumed on the day in question. I could have had a chokky induced dream of Dale for all I know. But I seem to remember it was pre-attack Dale. Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.