Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 2:16am

Post #1 of 15 (109 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Welcome to another week of the Walk to Rivendell! RL is a bit (a lot!) hectic for many of us at the moment; all the more reason to get in some stress-busting exercise, right? And posting about it here is a great way to find out how everyone else is doing! Including those beautiful birds - thanks, Joe-M!

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles reported last week: 124.84
Cumulative miles: 14139.26
Miles along the journey: 942.62
Miles out of Rivendell: 545.62

Open, open, open, open.... It's Durin's Day. We're waiting for the door to open. Open, open, open, open...
Laugh

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 14
Cumulative miles: 594
Goal: There and Back Again!

I'm almost at the Carrock now, thanks to a better week in the garden. Well, a better couple days in the garden. Errands and keeping errant children on task with their end-of-the-school-year projects is consuming my time at the moment. Those gardening episodes are attempts at sanity!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 14
Cumulative miles: 578
Goal: Group Challenge

The dance recital went really well for both Beamer and my Hobbit; it's wonderful to see them put all that hard work on stage so successfully!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 2:20am

Post #2 of 15 (56 views)
Shortcut
Miles... [In reply to] Can't Post

22 this week.

Which puts me in the middle of an unpleasant adventure in the Goblin Caves! It's going to make me miss my supper. Wink

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 3:08am

Post #3 of 15 (56 views)
Shortcut
Well, I suppose missing your supper is [In reply to] Can't Post

better than losing it... Tongue

Don't mind me; I'm to the silly stage of stressed-out and am far too easily amused by poor jokes.

And I hope you're able to leave those most unpleasant Goblin Caves posthaste!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Angharad73
Rohan

May 24 2013, 7:16am

Post #4 of 15 (67 views)
Shortcut
Another week... [In reply to] Can't Post

Between family visiting, school holidays and persistently cold and wet weather, I didn't have much opportunity for exercise... So it's been a rather slow week. Still, I seem to have reached Beorn's house and left again... (nice fellow, that Beorn, and I do like bears...)

Miles covered this week: 30
Cumulative miles: 609.9
Goal: There and Back Again!

Elwen
Lorien

May 24 2013, 3:00pm

Post #5 of 15 (58 views)
Shortcut
Only another [In reply to] Can't Post

3 this week, although I ran them if that's any help.

I've taken to jogging with the elleth when she doesn't have practice. Me trying to keep up with my 8-year-old while she is clearly holding back is kind of what I'd envision happening if Gimli said to Legolas "Hey, lets go for a nice 1 mile jog."

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2013, 2:55am

Post #6 of 15 (38 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Fellow Travellers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great Mileage Arandiel and Beamer! I'm glad Beamer and you Hobbit! That makes it so much more fun :D

I got in some serious mileage this week with lots and lots of yard work and walking. I won't be around next Thursday, but will be back with a vengence the following week after visiting family in Baltimore for my Grandson's graduation from High School.

Gandalf, Bilbo and I are approaching the Old Forest after enjoying a nice stay at the Forsaken Inn. Bilbo says it's made him all the more anxious to get back to Bag End and his own 4-poster.

Thanks so much for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel! Have a great week (or two) everyone!! :D

Miles covered: 33
Cumulated miles: 2048
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2013, 2:57am

Post #7 of 15 (36 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget to RUN! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only no dinner, but major aerobics are on the schedule! :D Don't lose anything... or anyone ;)

Cheers, arithmancer!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2013, 3:04am

Post #8 of 15 (35 views)
Shortcut
The weather really has been a challenge [In reply to] Can't Post

We went from 82 degrees to 62 in 3 days! Rain Rain Rain! But it's clearing up now :)

Even for a quiet week, you did great!! :D I hope you have a wonderful week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2013, 3:08am

Post #9 of 15 (63 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* That 's a great way to look at it :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say running is definitely a very good way to do it :D She a wonderful inspiration for you... and travelling companion ;)

Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

May 26 2013, 2:15am

Post #10 of 15 (37 views)
Shortcut
LONG BREAK [In reply to] Can't Post

Just got back from vacation a week ago! But don't worry, I kept a log of my mileage! Me and the whole para familia went to San Diego! And Disneyland. Had a blast. And got tired. Cool So, that should really, quite amply explain my absence. I haven't been naughty...technically. But hey, you'll be happy when I share the numbers!

miles last three weeks: 34 miles
cumulative:1106.01
goal: There and back again group challenge!

I have been extremely busy. I came home to almost 400 emails! Glad I had been unsubscribing from things already, or who knows what the number might have been. If you guys would like to see some pictures from my California vacation, here's a link!

http://outmyfrontdoorgirlslife.blogspot.com

Keep up the good work, guys!SlyHeart

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

ShyElf
Lorien

May 26 2013, 4:53pm

Post #11 of 15 (30 views)
Shortcut
You are right about RL being hectic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to get back into the rhythm of things. Work is super-super busy but hopefully that will get better (don't see the light at the end of the tunnel though...)

Miles since my last post: 6
Cumulative Miles: 67.5
Goal: There and back again!

I started cleaning my own house again (Mr. ShyElf sponsored a cleaning service for the 2 years that I was in bad shape...) We really can't afford it, so it's back to all of us. It's hard since I still cannot get on my knees to clean - but found some nifty tools to help me out (...How did it come to this?...) But anyway, as a team the three of us are keeping house, working, and ShyElf The Younger is finishing off her final school year (university next year!).

Cheers!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

May 27 2013, 6:17pm

Post #12 of 15 (27 views)
Shortcut
Stereogram in lieu of posting this week... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have walked, but I'll post my numbers next week so they'll seem bigger. ;)

In lieu of my miles, here is a stereogram of mine instead. Just cross your eyes and look at the middle one.

See you all next week!

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 29 2013, 9:54am

Post #13 of 15 (16 views)
Shortcut
Disney!?! You Lucky Dog! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What a GREAT way to get your mileage... and GREAT PICS :D

Well Done! *sigh* I wanna go!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 29 2013, 9:57am

Post #14 of 15 (16 views)
Shortcut
Now, it's not fun... [In reply to] Can't Post

but converting that cleaning to mileage will add up quickly :) I'm so glad you're feeling well enough to tackle the cleaning, but be kind to yourself. Last year of school!? Wow... I'll bet you thought some form of educating would go on forever ;)

Take care!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 29 2013, 9:58am

Post #15 of 15 (40 views)
Shortcut
Neato! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

But... now my eyes are stuck in the middle!!!! OMG! ;)

Well done!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.