Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
An Unexpected Presence?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 24 2013, 2:07am

Post #51 of 74 (436 views)
Shortcut
its possible.. [In reply to] Can't Post

that they are casting a younger actor for Aragorn and Viggo will be voice-acting for him.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 24 2013, 2:38am

Post #52 of 74 (430 views)
Shortcut
Maybe helping the Dwarves learn More Cinematic Sword-Play? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bob Anderson died...
so maybe Viggo is there
to teach? what he learned
from BOB?

He also would be a Moral-Booster too!

(This post was edited by Bombadil on May 24 2013, 2:40am)

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 24 2013, 3:34am

Post #53 of 74 (401 views)
Shortcut
Possible [In reply to] Can't Post

He could be there to help the cast just hang out or even a flash forward.

One would have to assume Bilbo stopped at Bree when he went to live at Rivendell.

Lots of possibilities ... speculation of course is interesting but we wont know for sure until December or next June

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

lurtz2010
Rohan

May 24 2013, 3:58am

Post #54 of 74 (401 views)
Shortcut
he might say hello on the next vlog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like how we saw JRD saying hello in another vlog.

Where is the vlog anyway? It better come out tonight otherwise PJ won't be happy.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 5:12am

Post #55 of 74 (472 views)
Shortcut
I am going to make a LOT of people jealous! [In reply to] Can't Post

But....

Viggo Mortensen lives in Sandpoint, ID, only an hour's drive north for me (in good weather) and my husband used to work up there! He had a coworker who met Viggo at the walmart in Ponderay, ID.

And my aunt works for the Transportation Security Admin (TSA- federal airport workers for you non-US ringers on here Smile) and she has MET him when he was flying out. Since the airport he has to use lies between where he lives and where we live! Smile

Apparently, when he flies he is a grumpy jerk (or at least, that's what she said-maybe he's not a morning person or maybe is really is a jerk just not on screen I don't know).

Maybe I can ask my aunt if she has seen him again recently on a flight, but she got a new job within the airport and I don't know if she is doing security anymore.....

Would be curious as to how many of you are now jealous of my proximity to a much beloved actor in LOTR? Wink

In all honesty Aragorn never made me swoon though-I am only 26 so I have a feeling that he was simply just too old for my tastes Tongue Course, my 29 year old husband looks somewhat like Kili when he hasn't gotten the chance to shave on his two days off, except for the short buzzed hair (he hates long hair-its slightly wavy and he doesn't like having to take the time to do anything with it). I imagine if he put on a Kili wig (or grew his hair out-but we'll never know...sigh) and costume and skipped shaving for four days (and somehow decreased his six foot stature and increased dwarf broadness) he would look remarkably like Kili- brownish green big eyes, dark eyebrows, dark hair, good stubble. A bit too much chin though....he has a dimple. Don't think Kili had one....yeah that's why I have a hard time not watching Kili like others on here like watching Thorin....and yet, I spot funny details about of all things Thorin's hair that the Thorin Fan Club even missed Wink

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

(This post was edited by Cirashala on May 24 2013, 5:13am)

lurtz2010
Rohan

May 24 2013, 5:38am

Post #56 of 74 (432 views)
Shortcut
William Kircher (Bifur) lives on my street [In reply to] Can't Post

Not as cool as Viggo of course but I still get a tingle knowing a hobbit star is so close. I see him atleast once a week and I've said hi a few times at the shop. I don't want to annoy him but I do hope to ask him about the movies sometime. He drives a big white ute with the word TRIBE as his number plate lol

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 24 2013, 12:42pm

Post #57 of 74 (352 views)
Shortcut
neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

cirashala, thanks so much for sharing... very interesting! (+love+, +love+ your avatar pic, btw, the colors, your pose, the composition, and... of course... the fact that you are a maiden with a sword.)

i gather that your aunt's impressions on viggo are derived from multiple flights. i wonder if other things come into play... like the fact that she works for the tsa, and many people, while acknowledging that the tsa performs a valuable service, might find some of the procedures intrusive. also, perhaps viggo just doesn't like flying, it makes him nervous, is uncomfortable in planes.

lucky you, having a nice husband who looks like kili! has he seen auj? does he think there's a resemblance?

again, thanks for sharing.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 24 2013, 12:48pm

Post #58 of 74 (324 views)
Shortcut
wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

honestly, i think this is just as cool as living close to any of the others. the bonus might be that you might have a better chance for the occasional exchange, as kircher is less well known, and might not have had the need to put as much distance between himself and overly enthusiastic fans.

i remember seeing an interview with viggo and (iirc) jon stewart. stewart was asking him about fan reaction, and viggo said "sometimes i worry about them. sometimes i worry about +me+."

hopefully kircher hasn't experienced too much fan reaction that would make him uneasy, and he might be more open to exchanging casual words, in a way that blanchett or mckellan or tyler might not be, because they're exposed to more erratic fan behavior.

thanks so much for sharing. : ) in my mind's eye, you're having very nice chats with william, and friendly hellos.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

namarie
Rohan

May 24 2013, 2:52pm

Post #59 of 74 (286 views)
Shortcut
Amen // [In reply to] Can't Post

“The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!”

t_bomb

May 24 2013, 3:03pm

Post #60 of 74 (325 views)
Shortcut
PJ has a favorite saying, [In reply to] Can't Post

"Pain is temporary, film is forever." In our case, "forever" is the discs on our bookshelves He has to be concerned about how the six films will hold up as a set...that's a duty as much as a predilection. Aragorn's story arc from Ranger to Sworn Protector to General to King -- in the series -- is a little thin on the Ranger-y phase. IMO it wouldn't hurt to see what his life is like during his period of self-exile. We're told about it in LOTR, but we don't see it. I think it would make his ascension to the throne that much more glorious.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 24 2013, 3:20pm

Post #61 of 74 (301 views)
Shortcut
Sand Point Idaho is the New Aspen? [In reply to] Can't Post

Over the Years Movies Stars and other Celebraties
Find Remote locations to live.

Sun Valley (Ernest Hemingway
Gary Cooper, Sonja Heny in the 1940's)
Palm Springs in the 1950's (Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra)
Nantucket in the 1960's (Many politicians)
Aspen in the 1970's (Jack Nicholson, Goldie Hawn, Jimmy Buffet)
Montana in 1980's (Harrison Ford, Peter Fonda)
Many Islands in the Caribbean in 1990's (When you can BUY your own island?)
Telluride in the 2000's (Opra Winfrey, Tom Cruise, Ralph Lauren)
Sand Point is the next Aspen. (Jake Plummer, Bronco Quarterback)

Wanted to go there before Goldberry
passed since it's near Glacier International Peace Park!
(MiddleEarth in America?)

I'm sure Viggo enjoys the Fishing, Hunting
and their wild outdoors there, and what a great place
to raise his son.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 3:53pm

Post #62 of 74 (280 views)
Shortcut
At this point., why not? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a very real possibility that a 150-years-dead orc will end up becoming the major villain of the trilogy, so if that's acceptable, then I don't see why a small Aragorn appearance at the end of TABA would be a problem. At least Aragorn was alive during the events of TH...

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on May 24 2013, 4:01pm)

Cirashala
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 5:28pm

Post #63 of 74 (249 views)
Shortcut
yes poor guy [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, he has seen AUJ several times (I am usually watching on my computer while he is doing star wars forums on his)

He enjoys the movie, but when I told him I thought he resembled Kili some he thought yeah maybe but he doesn't care too much. Now if it was a star wars or star trek character that MIGHT interest him a bit more. Wink

Not saying he doesn't like Tolkien-he owned half the books we have (and we have nearly all the Middle Earth books by him including letters and are actively trying to find more). He is just more sci fi than fantasy, and I am far more fantasy than sci fi regarding Tolkien vs Star Wars.

Yeah, I doubt ANYONE likes going through Security at the airports! And it could have been a very early flight too! My aunt has met several celebrities-she had to confiscate Natalie Cole's (Nat King Cole's daughter and a musician in her own right) toothpaste because it was too big, and she didn't recognize her. Apparently confiscated stuff is sold on ebay or if it is a personal item (like toothpaste) it is just thrown away, and she had already disposed of the toothpaste before a coworker told her who she was and she kicked herself because she probably could have gotten several hundred dollars for that toothpaste!

As to the pic-thank you! Lighting was terrible that day-nearly everywhere I looked my face literally GLOWED because the sun was so bright! Plus, I kept squinting because the sun was blinding me. But at least it turned out!

And I have both a bow and a black polycarbonate sword (had them for years), but I need to paint my bow black-it's obviously too modern despite being a long bow- bold lettering, white top and bottom with a molded light beige grip and you can see the nuts where sights can be put on it (I don't use the sights) and I need to paint it all one color so it looks more realistic. My grandfather's bow is perfect-not black, but all brown with just a slight grip wrapped in leather-but its 53# draw weight and I can't draw more than 30 yet. So the bow pictures didn't turn out as well for me :( Do plan on painting my sword to look like a Rohan sword though. Or maybe like Strider's. Haven't decided yet Wink

(This post was edited by Cirashala on May 24 2013, 5:37pm)

Cirashala
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 5:46pm

Post #64 of 74 (243 views)
Shortcut
ok, this is weird [In reply to] Can't Post

I have moved 27 times in my life.

I have lived in the suburbs of Denver, CO
I have been to Aspen
I have been to Telluride

I live in Idaho presently

I have also lived in Hemet, CA, as a kid just a few miles away from Palm Springs (and been to Palm Springs)

So weird to think I have been in fairly close proximity to a lot of stars! And me not even being a major psycho fan lol Tongue

Elenorflower
Gondor

May 24 2013, 6:59pm

Post #65 of 74 (215 views)
Shortcut
hey in that case [In reply to] Can't Post

lets have Haldir Heart I miss His Snootypants

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 24 2013, 7:05pm

Post #66 of 74 (213 views)
Shortcut
ok [In reply to] Can't Post

ok... this made me laugh out loud...

[elenorflower]
lets have Haldir I miss His Snootypants
[/elenorflower]

nicely done!

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth
Valinor

May 24 2013, 7:15pm

Post #67 of 74 (228 views)
Shortcut
This is not Aragorn's story. [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole sequence from TH through LotR is primarily about Hobbits and the power of the "small and meek".

If it were primarily a long tale about the Ranger/King, Rangers would have appeared in TH. They didn't, and if Jackson tries to make it so, it will be a serious distortion and distraction.

jtarkey
Rohan

May 24 2013, 9:18pm

Post #68 of 74 (203 views)
Shortcut
It's not really anyones story... [In reply to] Can't Post

The way Jackson is choosing to make these films, and half of AUJ was a total distortion to begin with. I think I'm at the point where I honestly don't care what or who they put in TDOS or TABA. Having Aragorn in these movies is not only pointless, but it would also ruin his ambiguity in FOTR.

But hey, bunny sleds, zombie orcs, and rock em' sock em' robots seem to be fine with a lot of people, so having Viggo return is still far less ridiculous than any of those things.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

May 24 2013, 10:46pm

Post #69 of 74 (192 views)
Shortcut
Well exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of people seem to have forgotten that in FOTR, both the book and film, we are kept guessing whether to trust Strider right up 'til the attack on/near Weathertop. I don't think PJ would want to damage his other films, just for the sake of a cameo. And he is well aware that for a lot of people, these films will form one continuous chronological story - seen on DVD or streamed to their tvs at home.

Having said that, PJ did decide to remove any mystery regarding Bilbo's fate, by showing that he lived to a ripe old age, right at the beginning of AUJ.

Arannir
Valinor

May 25 2013, 10:20am

Post #70 of 74 (160 views)
Shortcut
The only way I can see that work... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is epilogue material for the end of TABA.

Maybe with Gandalf mentioning that dark times are approaching and that the rangers will have to guard the North - with the rangers shown and one of them being Aragorn (but WITHOUT directly referring to him).

Anything more than that would be even more padding than the Frodo prologue (which I would have liked for the EE, but not the theatrical cut. In the TC I would have preferred Martin Freeman stepping out of the food chamber, not Elijah).

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 26 2013, 11:55am

Post #71 of 74 (97 views)
Shortcut
Just because an actor is in NZ it doesn`t mean he`s going to be in the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Flying all the way from US to NZ for a small cameo is very dubious, nothing that couldn`t have been done in front of the green screen in LA and then added into the movie.

If he is in the movie, there is no way his role is bigger than Frodo/Bilbo cameo because adding Aragorn subplot makes no sense from narrative POV. They may do some cheesy moment where hooded figure on a horse looks over Shire or Gondor and we see it`s Aragorn`s face in the shadow of his hood (to hide Mortensen`s age). Nothing bigger than that. Definitely not stealing the movie away from Bilbo and dwarves.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

May 27 2013, 5:32am

Post #72 of 74 (61 views)
Shortcut
LA [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, they could do a green screen in LA, however Viggo Mortensen lives in Sandpoint, ID, which (if you are not in the US-if you are I apologize in advance) is about 1200 miles north of LA. And if he is going to be in it, and has to fly anyway, then wouldn't it make more sense to have him fly to NZ where all the set is rather than have to go through the plane ticket in ADDITION to the additional expense of flying Ian McKellen (or whatever actor is opposite him for the shot) to LA as well as relocating or rebuilding a set? Makes more financial sense to just have him fly to NZ.

As to whether or not he is even going to be in it, he may honestly just be visiting the set or old friends like Orlando Bloom or Ian McKellen or any other returning actor from LOTR or PJ. Or he could be in NZ on vacation-who knows?

We likely won't find out officially until all three movies and all three EE's are out. Then we will know for sure. Until then, let the speculations continue! Wink

Elizabeth
Valinor

May 27 2013, 7:34am

Post #73 of 74 (56 views)
Shortcut
Hey, I spent 3 weeks in NZ recently... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I wasn't in any movies! All the tales we hear of filming LotR said that everyone loved NZ, and Viggo (in particular) bought two of the horses used in the filming, and left them there. So he has multiple reasons to go back, particularly if some of the folks he bonded with 10 years ago are there.

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 27 2013, 11:10am

Post #74 of 74 (52 views)
Shortcut
Greta example. Also, one doesn`t just show up to film without getting paid according to a contract [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems that there`s an urban myth in fandom that actors would do these movies for free which is far from truth. It`s the nature of the business that eevrything is monetary so for Mortensen or anyone else to appear in a cameo, there has to be a contract that guarantees he`d be paid for his work. Same goes for usage of old footage. You must pay the actor for using his footage again although he was already paid for filming the scene.

So unless they secretly negotiated the salary, his NZ visit will have no consequences for the movies.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.