Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
How long was Nardil/Andúril?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

noWizardme
Grey Havens

May 25 2013, 9:07am

Post #51 of 60 (110 views)
Shortcut
I read '6" ' in flat mode right after Brethil's discussion of Thorin. It kinda seemed to fit, in an alarming sort of way// [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

noWizardme
Grey Havens

May 25 2013, 9:10am

Post #52 of 60 (108 views)
Shortcut
I see: calling it a great sword" as in "wonderful sword", "famous sword" etc. not as a technical description of length. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Brethil
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 3:46pm

Post #53 of 60 (95 views)
Shortcut
I saw that too Furuncurinir... [In reply to] Can't Post

I read '6" ' in flat mode right after Brethil's discussion of Thorin. It kinda seemed to fit, in an alarming sort of way//

...but decided not to comment as I had been quite wayward enough for one day.Cool

(Glad to hear you have something sword-wise on hand in case the Zombies knock on your door.)

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

elaen32
Gondor

May 25 2013, 3:53pm

Post #54 of 60 (92 views)
Shortcut
Hee Hee [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have a sword, unless one counts brandishing the bread knife at the cat when he rejects the food I have put in his bowl! My cat is not a zombie, so don't know how effective this might be.
And, as for my comment on the aforementioned issue that NWM brought up, you will have to read my PM!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 25 2013, 4:03pm

Post #55 of 60 (91 views)
Shortcut
no, no local zombie difficulties [In reply to] Can't Post

just all these thorin alarms getting tripped. whoa.

thorin certainly attracts many ardent enthusiasts (as well as detractors). is he a living silmaril? is he the finest example of subcreation? is his light so fine morgoth would affix him to his crown, if he were still around?

remember, children of eru.... thorin's reflection of the light imperishable may be used to inspire actions both naughty and nice. choose wisely.

ho-hoh! so yiou are 'f'nar... what color is your dragon?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 5:33pm

Post #56 of 60 (84 views)
Shortcut
Here! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
three of the fellowship of the room have swords.

more...? .

A reproduction of Strider's Ranger sword (with skinning knife)

A one-handed long sword

The Noble Collection reproduction of Gimli's two-headed axe

All given to me by my wifey.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 5:59pm

Post #57 of 60 (83 views)
Shortcut
That is an astute observation.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been leaning towards the hand-and-a-half side of the argument, but I can see where that might not be the case after all. The textual evidence may favor the one-handed long sword interpretation. One of the passages that makes this more confusing is from RotK, Book VI, Chapter 4, when Frodo and Sam first see King Elessar on his throne:

On the throne sat a mail-clad man, a great sword was laid across his knees, but he wore no helm.

Here, great sword can be read two or three ways. Less ambiguous is how the term appears in Unfinished Tales, "Disaster of the Gladden Fields, when Isildur's abandoned gear is found on the bank of the river:

...his mail, helm, shield and great sword [not Narsil] (but nothing else) had been found on the bank not far above the Gladden Fields...

Here great sword seems to indicate the type of blade, which in the archaic meaning could still be either a bastard sword or a true two-handed weapon.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

May 25 2013, 7:33pm

Post #58 of 60 (75 views)
Shortcut
To confuse things [In reply to] Can't Post

there are bastard swords which are effectively designed for one and two handed use, great swords and long swords which are designed for two handed use but can be used less effectively one handed or two true handers. These are broad categories with a lot of cross over historically. If you want good historical examples go to Albion Swords website and look at their Next Generation Swords page.

Bastard = their Mercenary and Castellan models

Great sword = Baron, Duke, Steward, Count

Long Sword = Regent, Earl, Talhoffer and many others

True two hander = Maximllian, Tyrolean, Dane

Of these I have owned the Regent, it is light and nimble, considered hand and a half but is definitely not a true bastard as it's one handed use is no where near as effective as it's two handed use.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 7:37pm

Post #59 of 60 (70 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Coincidentally (and quite beside the point) I was raised in Albion (NY).

Brethil
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 7:46pm

Post #60 of 60 (89 views)
Shortcut
I think those are reasonable numbers Yngwulff [In reply to] Can't Post

(and I did know what you meant by height, you must pardon my occasional irreverant forays!) Wink

My feeling would be for the likely hilt size of 10 inches, so I would say 46" to 52" would be a good guess. The height of Numenorean's, even diminished, makes our calculations a bit off for modern average heights doesn't it?

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.