Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Finrod and other matters

Elthir
Rohan

May 25 2013, 12:48pm

Views: 58
Shortcut
Finrod and other matters [In reply to] Can't Post

but if an exiled noldo dies before the ban is lifted... do they stay unhoused until the ban is lifted?

Generally speaking I think so. Outside of the question of repenting and being allowed to return to bodily life, I think they had to wait at least until the Ban was lifted. In my last response we have JRRT noting that Glorfindel's kin were still in the Halls of Waiting -- it's not specific to your question perhaps, but it is notable [to me] that one of the problems Tolkien decided to overcome was that Glorfindel was an Exile -- who were not allowed to return to Aman in physical bodies.

I think if Glorfindel was rehoused after the ban was lifted he still could have returned to Middle-earth before the removal of Aman from the Circles of the World [these texts were essentially to answer the question about whether or not there were two Glorfindels or one], but in any case Tolkien didn't go there.

... do all the exiles (before the ban is lifted) by rule stay in mandos, and only a few of them get exceptions (finrod, glorfindel)?

Glorfindel seems to be treated as an exception as I read the texts. Again see my last response where I note Tolkien referring to the reasons why Glorfindel was rehoused despite being an Exile. As for Finrod, although an exceptional Elf in my opinion and possibly another exception too... well, I wonder... do we know for certain that he returned to Aman before the Ban was lifted?

I'm not sure the line in question necessarily illustrates that Finrod was rehoused before the end of the First Age. I think we are supposed to glean that death for him in Middle-earth was not the end of his bodily life -- again, despite being an Exile he was rehoused, and given his noble spirit, probably earlier than most I would say, but not necessarily before the Ban was lifted...

... unless I wrongly remember the quote and context here?

Subject User Time
What happens if an Elf's spouse dies? thatlldo Send a private message to thatlldo May 22 2013, 3:19pm
    Separation Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 22 2013, 3:34pm
    mae govannen! Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 22 2013, 3:36pm
        Rebirth Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 22 2013, 3:41pm
            i'm pulling Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 22 2013, 3:46pm
                Glorfindel Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 22 2013, 3:52pm
                    have not Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 22 2013, 3:58pm
                        HoME Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 22 2013, 4:11pm
                            dabbling Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 22 2013, 4:16pm
                                More thoughts Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 22 2013, 4:29pm
                                    Elvish rebirth rejected Elthir Send a private message to Elthir May 23 2013, 2:44pm
    The Avari Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai May 22 2013, 4:28pm
    Finwe Remarried IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin May 22 2013, 8:13pm
    concerning Glorfindel Escapist Send a private message to Escapist May 23 2013, 3:51pm
        There is text in Morgoth's Ring too... Elthir Send a private message to Elthir May 23 2013, 3:59pm
            so... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 23 2013, 4:08pm
                Well, Finrod CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 23 2013, 5:47pm
                    we just don't hear about them Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 23 2013, 6:56pm
                        Finrod and other matters Elthir Send a private message to Elthir May 25 2013, 12:48pm
                timeline Elthir Send a private message to Elthir May 23 2013, 6:54pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.