What's another word for thesaurus?

dormouse
Half-elven

May 24 2013, 10:52am

Post #127 of 150 (724 views)
Shortcut
     A dictionary of synonyms [OED] .... [In reply to]  

... Sorry, that's three words!

It does offer 'treasury' as well, or 'encyclopedia'. Thesaurus always sounds to me like a relative of a dinosaur...

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 3:18pm

Post #128 of 150 (679 views)
Shortcut
     Thesaurus, Answered [In reply to]  

It exists:

Synonomicon.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 24 2013, 3:25pm

Post #129 of 150 (676 views)
Shortcut
     Excellent! [In reply to]  

That sounds like a large conference where people in costume exchange synonyms.......

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 24 2013, 3:26pm

Post #130 of 150 (703 views)
Shortcut
     im sick [In reply to]  

of everyone trying to come up with new names for the thesaurus, whats wrong with the original?

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Old Toby
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 3:30pm

Post #131 of 150 (653 views)
Shortcut
     LOL! Dormouse... [In reply to]  

You just made my day!Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

dormouse
Half-elven

May 24 2013, 3:32pm

Post #132 of 150 (685 views)
Shortcut
     Nothing [In reply to]  

He asked for another word so I tried to find him one. Seems harmless enough...

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 3:34pm

Post #133 of 150 (671 views)
Shortcut
     Sick [In reply to]  

Another word for that is "ill."

Tongue

"Thesaurus" begs for a self-referential synonym like no other word possibly can.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on May 24 2013, 3:35pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 24 2013, 4:05pm

Post #134 of 150 (646 views)
Shortcut
     joke [In reply to]  

can you really not see the sarcasm in my reply there lol?

Kullervo
Rivendell

May 24 2013, 4:07pm

Post #135 of 150 (637 views)
Shortcut
     Haha! [In reply to]  

Synonomicon sounds like an awesome time, I would totally attend if they held it anywhere near where I live. Though I've heard it's not like it used to be, that it's grown too big and that there are even antonym panels these days.

(This post was edited by Kullervo on May 24 2013, 4:10pm)

Kullervo
Rivendell

May 24 2013, 4:08pm

Post #136 of 150 (656 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, but [In reply to]  

Is there a synonym for the word synonym?

Maciliel
Valinor

May 24 2013, 4:14pm

Post #137 of 150 (652 views)
Shortcut
     likenym [In reply to]  

likenym.

or, if you prefer...

alikenym.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 4:17pm

Post #138 of 150 (621 views)
Shortcut
     Synonym [In reply to]  

'Analogue' and 'metonym' come closest.

Kullervo
Rivendell

May 24 2013, 4:20pm

Post #139 of 150 (621 views)
Shortcut
     great! [In reply to]  

A synonomicon is a dictionary of alikenyms.Smile

Magpie
Immortal

May 24 2013, 4:33pm

Post #140 of 150 (655 views)
Shortcut
     well, I'll reply honestly that I did not know how to read your post [In reply to]  

Perhaps people who are regulars on the board can keep track of all the personalities that frequent here and can sense dry or sarcastic humor... but I honestly had no idea if you were irritated or joking.

Perhaps some hints would serve some of us well. ;-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 24 2013, 4:39pm

Post #141 of 150 (643 views)
Shortcut
     really? [In reply to]  

my comment was obviously a ridiculous statement, especially if you relate it to the original topic!

i will italic all sarcastic comments from now lol

Magpie
Immortal

May 24 2013, 5:31pm

Post #142 of 150 (630 views)
Shortcut
     yes really [In reply to]  

I am not being sarcastic (in the spirit of open communication). It was a ridiculous statement but I couldn't even have used the word 'ridiculous' had you not used it first because - had you been someone who would say something like that with all seriousness - my calling it ridiculous would have been against the TOS. I can't tell if statements like that are being sarcastic, serious (with a bit of a wacko bent), over dramatic, or what. I think a lot of statements made here are ridiculous but that doesn't mean the person making them thinks that. And I've been chewed out for assuming a statement was humor when it wasn't.

I would wager it is way less easy to read people than any of us suspect. It just seems good practice and good nature to give us little hints.

but I'm not sure italics would do it. Especially considering that people have all kinds of unique styles of typing and italics has never been used as the universal symbol for sarcasm.

Unless of course, you were being sarcastic about using italics.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on May 24 2013, 5:33pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 24 2013, 5:46pm

Post #143 of 150 (625 views)
Shortcut
     why so serious [In reply to]  

if your not sure if it was a serious like you just said, why did you repsond originally as if it was?

if in doubt , im never seriousl

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 24 2013, 6:24pm

Post #144 of 150 (612 views)
Shortcut
     Italics [In reply to]  

Italics say "this is important - read it seriously."

Emoticons are your friend.

Tongue

Maciliel
Valinor

May 24 2013, 6:44pm

Post #145 of 150 (571 views)
Shortcut
     lmdao! [In reply to]  

kullervo... that is +awesome+. :)

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Valinor

May 24 2013, 6:47pm

Post #146 of 150 (600 views)
Shortcut
     i've seen [In reply to]  

i've seen folks use something like this...

[sarcasm]
i think sylvester stallone would make a great aragorn.
[/sarcasm]

fwiw, i couldn't tell if you were joking or not either. but all is good. : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 24 2013, 6:56pm

Post #147 of 150 (595 views)
Shortcut
     crazy [In reply to]  

i cant believe people actually thought i was annoyed at people using other words for the word thesaurus??? it was a joke, cant anyone see that???

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 24 2013, 7:52pm)

Maciliel
Valinor

May 24 2013, 6:58pm

Post #148 of 150 (573 views)
Shortcut
     i think [In reply to]  

i think it's not as much you as a lot of folks (including myself) have seen a lot of unusual things expressed in forums by some colorful personalities.

but, as we say, all is good. (btw, i like your avatar.)

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

DanielLB
Immortal

May 24 2013, 7:03pm

Post #149 of 150 (584 views)
Shortcut
     Why wouldn't people get confused? [In reply to]  

When we communicate and talk with people in real life, we often vary tone of voice, expression, body language and sounds such as sighs and laughter - all of these help us work out just what that person is trying to say.

A online forum is devoid of any of this. In order to help replace some of these missing spoken communication cues, and to let people understand what you mean, using bold, italics, emoticons and other ways (punctuation etc.) is necessary.

Someone might be having a joke, but this *will* be mis-read by other people reading the post. It's vital to consider the mode of communication on a forum. And for what it's worth ... you can add me on to the confused list of what you meant. Wink

But this is all very off topic. Did someone say something about Azog?

Laugh

Altaira
Superuser

May 24 2013, 7:57pm

Post #150 of 150 (692 views)
Shortcut
     This thread has been locked due to continued disrespectful remarks [In reply to]  

...both by the person who started it and others (all of which have been edited out or deleted).

Please move on and be sure to be respectful of the opinions of others!

Thanks

Terms of Service

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.