Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - May 21 and pt.2 of some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 21 2013, 1:01pm

Post #1 of 8 (92 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 21 and pt.2 of some BS! Can't Post

Since this May 21 Today in Middle-earth is so small, I'm also going to post pt.2 of the 3-part book-to-screen look at the Battle at the Gates of Moria... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

May 21-23, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo and Company continue east.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
...Far behind, the Weather Hills show less and less. Ahead, company begins to see the tops of the Trollshaws. The road becomes rough.

This is part 2 of a 3-part Book Spoiler that shows the meaning behind the Battle of Azanulbizar at the Gates of Moria portrayed in the film... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Appendix A: Durin's Folk: The Return of the King

..."At last all the Orcs that fled before them were gathered in Moria, and the Dwarf-host in pursuit came to Azanulbizar. That was a great vale that lay between the arms of the mountains about the lake of Kheled-zâram and had been of old part of the kingdom of Khazad-dûm. When the Dwarves saw the gate of their ancient mansions upon the hill-side they sent up a great shout like thunder in the valley. But a great host of foes was arrayed on the slopes above them, and out of the gates poured a multitude of Orcs that had been held back by Azog for the last need.
...At first fortune was against the Dwarves; for it was a dark day of winter without sun, and the Orcs did not waver, and they outnumbered their enemies, and had the higher ground. So began the Battle of Azanulbizar... ...at the memory of which the Orcs still shudder and the Dwarves weep. The first assault of the vanguard led by Thráin was thrown back with loss... ...There Frerin his son fell, and Fundin his kinsman, and many others, and both Thráin and Thorin were wounded.... ['It is said that Thorin's shield was cloven and he cast it away, and he hewed off with his axe a branch of an oak and held it in his left hand to ward off the strokes of his foes, or to wield as a club. In this way he got his name'.] ...Elsewhere the battle swayed to and fro with great slaughter, until at last the people of the Iron Hills turned the day. Coming late and fresh to the field the mailed warriors... ...drove through the Orcs to the very threshold of Moria, crying 'Azog! Azog!' as they hewed down with their mattocks all who stood in their way...
......Azog came forth, and he was a great Orc with a huge iron-clad head, and yet agile and strong. With him came many like him, the fighters of his guard...
......Azog laughed, and he lifted up his head to let forth a great yell of triumph; but the cry died in his throat. For he saw that all his host in the valley was in a rout, and the Dwarves went this way and that slaying as they would, and those that could escape from them were flying south, shrieking as they ran. And hard by all the soldiers of his guard lay dead. He turned and fled back towards the Gate...."

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2013, 10:25am

Post #2 of 8 (38 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is part 3 of a 3-part Book Spoiler that shows the meaning behind the Battle of Azanulbizar at the Gates of Moria portrayed in the film... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Appendix A: Durin's Folk: The Return of the King

..."Up the steps after him leaped a Dwarf with a red axe. It was Dáin Ironfoot... ...Right before the doors he caught Azog, and there he slew him, and hewed off his head. That was held a great feat, for Dáin was then only a stripling in the reckoning of the Dwarves. But long life and many battles lay before him....
......When at last the battle was won the Dwarves that were left gathered in Azanulbizar... ...But no feast nor song was there that night; for their dead were beyond the count of grief. Barely half of their number, it is said, could still stand or had hope of healing.
...None the less in the morning Thráin stood before them. He bad one eye blinded beyond cure, and he was halt with a leg-wound; but he said: 'Good! We have the victory. Khazad-dûm is ours! '
...But they answered: 'Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. We fought this war for vengeance, and vengeance we have taken. But it is not sweet... ... So it was that after Azanulbizar the Dwarves dispersed again...
... ...Thráin said to Thorin Oakenshield... '...Will you come with me back to the anvil? Or will you beg your bread at proud doors?'
...'To the anvil,' answered Thorin. 'The hammer will at least keep the arms strong, until they can wield sharper tools again.'
...So Thráin and Thorin with what remained of the following (among whom were Balin and Glóin) returned to Dunland, and soon afterwards they removed and wandered in Eriador, until at last they made a home in exile in the east of the Ered Luin beyond the Lune. Of iron were most of the things that they forged in those days, but they prospered after a fashion, and their number slowly increased."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 22 2013, 4:18pm

Post #3 of 8 (30 views)
Shortcut
Dáin's Red Axe [In reply to] Can't Post

I have actually seen it debated as to whether Dáin's axe was naturally red or if it was only red because it was colored with his enemies' blood. I suspect the latter.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2013, 7:31pm

Post #4 of 8 (32 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

While it may not always be red, it was used in heavy battle enough to be dubbed red, like Thorin is now Oakenshield.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2013, 12:19pm

Post #5 of 8 (33 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

May 23, 2000 was the middle of principal photography for The Lord of the Rings. Peter had special vests made for the crew to wear to earmark the day.

So to celebrate the day in the here and now, I thought it'd be fun to look at things in the middle... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.
  1. Right away, we have this place called "Middle-earth". Convenient, eh? :D
  2. The Gaffer is telling a stranger and others: "I saw Mr. Bilbo when he came back, a matter of sixty years ago, when I was a lad... ...while the sale was on. And in the middle of it all Mr. Bilbo comes up the Hill with a pony..."
  3. When Frodo was distributing Bilbo's mathoms: "In the middle of the commotion the Sackville-Bagginses arrived. Frodo had retired for a while... ...When Otho loudly demanded to see Frodo..."
  4. "To Frodo's astonishment and distress the wizard threw it suddenly into the middle of the glowing corner of the fire."
  5. Gildor invites the hobbits to come along: "'You had best walk in the middle so that you may not stray.'"
  6. The hobbits come to Bombadil's: "Nothing could be seen of the house in the dark: it stood back from the lane in the middle of a wide circle of lawn surrounded by a belt of low trees inside the outer hedge."
  7. Nob helps out: "'I've ruffled up the clothes and put a bolster down the middle of each bed.'"
  8. Aragorn finds a beryl: "'I found it in the mud in the middle of the Bridge'"
  9. Bilbo chastises Elrond: "'...you have disturbed me--in the middle of making up a song.'"
  10. Saruman monologues to Gandalf: "'The Elder Days are gone. The Middle Days are passing. The Younger Days are beginning.'"
  11. Gandalf approaches the door of Moria: "He stepped up to the rock again, and lightly touched with his staff the silver star in the middle beneath the sign of the anvil."
  12. Gandalf follows his nose: "'I do not like the feel of the middle way; and I do not like the smell of the left-hand way: there is foul air down there, or I am no guide.'"
  13. "The Balrog reached the bridge. Gandalf stood in the middle of the span, leaning on the staff in his left hand, but in his other hand Glamdring gleamed, cold and white."
  14. "Merry and Pippin in the middle boat were ill at ease, for Boromir sat muttering to himself, sometimes biting his nails..."
  15. "Treebeard lowered himself slowly onto this (with only the slightest sign of bending at his middle)"
  16. "'Isengard is a sort of ring of rocks or hills, I think, with a flat space inside and an island or pillar of rock in the middle, called "Orthanc.'"
  17. "'Now, now!' said Gimli. 'We are beginning the story in the middle. I should like a tale in the right order, starting with that strange day when your fellowship was broken.'"
  18. While Faramir was questioning Frodo: "Sam had been getting more and more impatient and angry at this conversation. These last words were more than he could bear, and bursting into the middle of the ring, he strode up to his master's side."
  19. Faramir speaks to Frodo and Sam: "'For so we reckon Men in our lore, calling them the High, or Men of the West, which were Númenóreans, and the Middle Peoples, Men of the Twilight, such as are the Rohirrim and their kin that dwell still far in the North; and the Wild, the Men of Darkness... ...We are become Middle Men, of the Twilight.'"
  20. "...the middle door of the Black Gate was thrown open with a great clang, and out of it there came an embassy from the Dark Tower."
  21. "...rage blazed in Sam's heart to a sudden fury. He sprang up, ran, and went up the ladder like a cat. His head came out in the middle of the floor of a large round chamber. A red lamp hung from its roof; the westward window-slit was high and dark. Something was lying on the floor by the wall under the window, but over it a black orc-shape was straddled. It raised a whip a second time, but the blow never fell. With a cry Sam leapt across the floor, Sting in his hand."
  22. "Inside it was filled with a grey dust, soft and fine, in the middle of which was a seed, like a small nut with a silver shale."

And finally:
  1. "'You tried to give us the slip once before and failed, Frodo,' he said. 'This time you have nearly succeeded, but you have failed again. It was not Sam, though, that gave you away this time, but Gandalf himself!'
    'Yes,' said Gandalf; 'for it will be better to ride back three together than one alone. Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.'
    Then Frodo kissed Merry and Pippin, and last of all Sam, and went aboard; and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2013, 3:58pm

Post #6 of 8 (27 views)
Shortcut
What a lot of things you do use "middle" for! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

I find one use in particular to be mysterious: "Middle peoples", and the thought of "high" Numenorians "diminishing" that way, just as the Elves are to "diminish".

Somehow, it makes me sad...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2013, 2:13pm

Post #7 of 8 (16 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some Memorable BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

In honour of Memorial Day... for veterans and military throughout the world... lest we forget.

From The Return Journey: The Hobbit
..."They buried Thorin deep beneath the Mountain, and Bard laid the Arkenstone upon his breast.
..."There let it lie till the Mountain falls!" he said. "May it bring good fortune to all his folk that dwell here after!"
Upon his tomb the Elvenking then laid Orcrist, the elvish sword that had been taken from Thorin in captivity. It is said in songs that it gleamed ever in the dark if foes approached, and the fortress of the dwarves could not be taken by surprise."

From The King of the Golden Hall
..."At the foot of the walled hill the way ran under the shadow of many mounds, high and green. Upon their western sides the grass was white as with a drifted snow: small flowers sprang there like countless stars amid the turf.
...'Look!' said Gandalf. 'How fair are the bright eyes in the grass! Evermind they are called, Simbelmynë in this land of Men, for they blossom in all the season of the year, and grow where dead men rest.... ...We are come to the great barrows where the sires of Théoden sleep.'
...'Seven mounds upon the left, and nine upon the right,' said Aragorn. 'Many long lives of men it is since the golden hall was built.'
...'Five hundred times have the red leaves fallen in Mirkwood in my home since then,' said Legolas, 'and but a little while does that seem to us.'
...'But to the Riders of the Mark it seems so long ago... ...that the raising of this house is but a memory of song, and the years before are lost in the mist of time. Now they call this land their home... ...their own, and their speech is sundered from their northern kin.' Then he began to chant softly in a slow tongue unknown to the Elf and Dwarf; yet they listened, for there was a strong music in it.
...'That, I guess, is the language of the Rohirrim,' said Legolas; 'for it is like to this land itself; rich and rolling in part, and else hard and stern as the mountains. But I cannot guess what it means, save that it is laden with the sadness of Mortal Men.'
...'It runs thus in the Common Speech,' said Aragorn...

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?

Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?

Where is the hand on the harp string, and the red fire glowing?

Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?

They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;

The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning,

Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Thus spoke a forgotten poet long ago in Rohan... ... So men still sing in the evening.'"

From The Houses of Healing: The Return of the King
..."Then Aragorn laid his hand on Merry's head, and passing his hand gently through the brown curls, he touched the eyelids, and called him by name. And when the fragrance of athelas stole through the room... ...suddenly Merry awoke, and he said:
...'I am hungry. What is the time?'
...'Past supper-time now,' said Pippin; 'though I daresay I could bring you something, if they will let me.'
...'They will indeed,' said Gandalf. 'And anything else that this Rider of Rohan may desire... ...in Minas Tirith, where his name is in honour.'
...'Good!' said Merry. 'Then I would like supper first, and after that a pipe.' At that his face clouded. 'No, not a pipe. I don't think I'll smoke again.'
...'Why not?' said Pippin.
...'Well,' answered Merry slowly. 'He is dead. It has brought it all back to me. He said he was sorry he had never had a chance of talking herb-lore with me. Almost the last thing he ever said. I shan't ever be able to smoke again without thinking of him, and that day, Pippin, when he rode up to Isengard and was so polite.'
...'Smoke then, and think of him!' said Aragorn. 'For he was a gentle heart and a great king and kept his oaths; and he rose out of the shadows to a last fair morning. Though your service to him was brief, it should be a memory glad and honourable to the end of your days.'
...Merry smiled. 'Well then,' he said, 'if Strider will provide what is needed, I will smoke and think.... ...Pippin remained behind. 'Was there ever any one like him?' he said. 'Except Gandalf, of course. I think they must be related. My dear ass, your pack is lying by your bed, and you had it on your back when I met you. He saw it all the time, of course. And anyway I have some stuff of my own. Come on now! Longbottom Leaf it is. Fill up while I run and see about some food. And then let's be easy for a bit. Dear me! We Tooks and Brandybucks, we can't live long on the heights.'
...'No, I can't; at least not yet. But at least we can know about them now, and honor them. It is best to love what you are fitted to love, I suppose: you must start somewhere and have some roots, and the soil of the Shire is deep. Still there are things deeper and higher, and not a gaffer could tend his garden in what he calls peace but for them, whether he knows about them or not. I am glad I know about them, a little. But I don't know why I am talking like this. Where is that leaf? And get my pipe out of my pack, if it isn't broken.'"

From The Field of Cormallen
..."Frodo and Sam were led apart and brought to a tent, and there their old raiment was ... ...set aside with honour; and clean linen was given to them. Then Gandalf came and in his arms, to the wonder of Frodo, he bore the sword and the elven-cloak and the mithril-coat that had been taken from him in Mordor. For Sam he brought a coat of gilded mail, and his elven-cloak all healed of the soils and hurts that it had suffered; and then he laid before them two swords.
...'I do not wish for any sword,' said Frodo.
...'Tonight at least you should wear one,' said Gandalf.
...Then Frodo took the small sword that had belonged to Sam.... '...Sting I gave to you Sam,' he said.
...'No, master! Mr. Bilbo gave it to you, and it goes with his silver coat; he would not wish anyone else to wear it now.'
Frodo gave way; and Gandalf, as if he were their esquire, knelt and girt the sword-belts about them, and then rising he set circlets of silver upon their heads. And when they were arrayed they went to the great feast; and they sat at the King's table with Gandalf, and King Éomer of Rohan, and the Prince Imrahil and all the chief captains; and there also were Gimli and Legolas... [and all paused for]... the Standing Silence..."

..."'And I,' said Legolas, ' shall walk in the woods of the fair land, which is rest enough.

To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying,

The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying.

West, west away, the round sun is falling.

Grey ship, grey ship, do you hear them calling,

The voices of my people that have gone before me?

I will leave, I will leave the woods that bore me;

For our days are ending and our years failing.

I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing.

Long are the waves on the Last Shore falling,

Sweet are the voices in the Lost Isle calling,

In Eressëa, in Elvenhome that no man can discover,

Where the leaves fall not: land of my people for ever!'

And so singing Legolas went away down the hill."

From Many Partings
..."Often long after the hobbits were wrapped in sleep they would sit together under the stars, recalling the ages that were gone and all their joys and labours in the world, or holding council, concerning the days to come. If any wanderer had chanced to pass, little would he have seen or heard, and it would have seemed to him only that he saw grey figures, carved in stone, memorials of forgotten things now lost in unpeopled lands. For they did not move or speak with their mouth, looking from mind to mind and only their shining eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro."

From The Scouring of the Shire
..."At last all was over. Nearly seventy of the ruffians lay dead on the field, and a dozen were prisoners. Nineteen hobbits were killed, and some thirty were wounded. The dead ruffians were laden on waggons and hauled off to an old sand-pit nearby and there buried: in the Battle Pit.... ...The fallen hobbits were laid together in a grave on the hill-side, where later a great stone was set up with a garden about it. So ended the Battle of Bywater, 1419, the last battle fought in the Shire, and the only battle since the Greenfields, 1147, away up in the Northfarthing. In consequence, though it happily cost very few lives, it has a chapter to itself in the Red Book, and the names of all those who took part were made into a Roll, and learned by heart by Shire-historians. The very considerable rise in the fame and fortune of the Cottons dates from this time; but at the top of the Roll in all accounts stand the names of Captains Meriadoc and Peregrin."

From The Grey Havens..."'Where are you going, Master?' cried Sam, though at last he understood what was happening.
...'To the Havens, Sam,' said Frodo.
...'And I can't come.'
...'No, Sam. Not yet anyway, not further than the Havens. Though you too were a Ring-bearer.... ...Your time may come. Do not be too sad, Sam. You cannot always be torn in two. You will have to be one and whole, for many years. You have so much to enjoy and to be, and to do.'
...'But,' said Sam, and tears started in his eyes, 'I thought you were going to enjoy the Shire, too, for years and years, after all you have done.'
...'So I thought too, once. But I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them. But you are still my heir: all that I had and might have had I leave to you. And also you have Rose, and Elanor; and Frodo-lad will come, and Rosie-lass, and Merry, and Goldilocks, and Pippin; and perhaps more that I cannot see. Your hands and your wits will be needed everywhere. You will be the Mayor... ...as long as you want to be, and the most famous gardener in history; and you will read things out of the Red Book, and keep alive the memory of the age that is gone, so that people will remember the Great Danger and so love their beloved land all the more."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2013, 2:56pm

Post #8 of 8 (18 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* Well said... [In reply to] Can't Post

diminish... fade... wane... all are so sad.

Encyclopedia of Arda had Middle Peoples identified as descendants of the Edain.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.