Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Conde Nast article on how the deal went down and why Peter can't direct...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Patty
Immortal

Dec 22 2007, 5:26am

Post #26 of 32 (650 views)
Shortcut
I badly want to see PJ direct this movie, but it is not gonna give me gray hairs... [In reply to] Can't Post

(my kids and husband have already done that).

I constantly remind myself, "it's just a movie." That seems to work.

PJ may just be very silent cause hey, he's working. I expect we'll hear from him when he's ready.

As for your scenario Sunflower, well, I don't want either of those guysSly. I'm just going to hope PJ directs, until I'm forced to face a different FACT.

For Gondor!

Daeferedir
The Shire

Dec 22 2007, 5:53am

Post #27 of 32 (668 views)
Shortcut
As good old Blibo would say…. [In reply to] Can't Post

“Really you know” Bilbo was saying in his best business manner, “things are impossible, personally I am tired of the whole affair. I wish I was back in the west in my own home, where folks are more reasonable, but I have an interest in this matter – one fourteenth share, to be precise according to a letter, which fortunately I believe I kept.”(J R R Tolkien-The Hobbit)

The little fellow was way ahead of his time…

CAhobbit
Rohan

Dec 22 2007, 7:07am

Post #28 of 32 (636 views)
Shortcut
I've seen some great scenes from Raimi... [In reply to] Can't Post

in many of his films (even Spiderman). Now, granted Spiderman 3 was a pretty 'meh' film (at least I thought so) but there were some good scenes in it...

-The birth of Sandman was wonderfully done.
-The birth of Venom was good.
-There were a few sequences at the end of the film were shot well (though intermixed were some really cheesy moments).

Though Raimi can be partly blamed for the 'meh' of Spiderman 3 I also think many others could be blamed (screenwriters, perhaps some producers) because characters were way underdeveloped, not used enough, too out there or overly cheesy it was laughable.

Spiderman and Spiderman 2 had some great moments (though I enjoyed the second film the most). Many scenes with Doc Ock were darn good. The subway scene still gets to emotionally every time I watch it.

The Evil Dead Trilogy has moments as well...

-The deadites taking over Ash in the first film is a great scene.
-Evil Dead had some interesting shots in it where the camera was mounted on a moving platform (something Raimi came up with).
-Great moments of humor

Now, Del Toro is of course another favorite director of mine. The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy are among some of my favorite films. I've already given my reasons why I think he could do well with "The Hobbit" in another thread.

Interestingly enough between Del Toro, Raimi and Jackson there is something they all have in common (besides being directors) and that is the horror genre. All three have delved into the genre and all three have created films that have become cult classics...

-Raimi - Evil Dead
-Jackson - Braindead (US name was Dead Alive)
-Del Toro - The Devil's Backbone

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Rogash
Bree

Dec 22 2007, 7:14am

Post #29 of 32 (621 views)
Shortcut
lead... [In reply to] Can't Post

raimi is not made for Tolkien and Peter Jackson knows it,(I hope !)

CAhobbit
Rohan

Dec 22 2007, 7:53am

Post #30 of 32 (623 views)
Shortcut
To each their own... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's still all in speculation land at this point. I'm of the opinion that I think he could do it. I'm pretty sure people said the same thing in regards to Jackson in the early days as well. Sly

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 23 2007, 4:32am

Post #31 of 32 (601 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

for the recommendations, CA Hobbit. I'm pretty familiar with Spidey, I thought that the closing scene of Peter standing at the graveyard in the first film and his voice-over about power and responsibility was brilliant, an electric, real "LOTR" moment. I just wish his work has more of those moments. But I'll be checking out the Evil Dead films asap!

Speaking of brilliant films, I just saw Sweeney Todd tonight and it blew me away. I' m recommending to everyone that you see it! One of the best of the past 5 yrs and it deserves a BP Oscar nom, it puts Chicago in the shade. Johnney Depp actually can sing, he isn;t half bad, but the real surprise was Alan Rickman as the Judge. He sings too! A lot! (Snape singing..ha ha.) And Helena Bonham Carter was deliciously evil. And there's this little boy who has the voice of an angel, he is REALLY GOOD. I have to find out more about him. I won't give anything away though.
Thought I have to warn people reading this that this doesn't have an R rating for nothing.There's more spilled blood in this than in 10 horror films. I've never seen Dead Alive but the famous "lawnmower scene" of PJ's I've read about must not have half as much blood as what comes out of Depp's victims. GALLONS of it, spraying even the windows and walls. ...even the guys may get squeamish. But the songs are electric and the story is great! I will have to get familiar with the Sondheim origional now!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 23 2007, 4:34am)

smaug73

Dec 25 2007, 11:52am

Post #32 of 32 (616 views)
Shortcut
What about a petition? [In reply to] Can't Post

To get PJ do direct? He has a tendency to listen to the fans, doesn't he? If there are enough people signing it. Worth a try?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.