Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Barrel Escape 'Relatively early' in DOS?

HelmHammerHand
The Shire

May 16 2013, 6:58pm

Post #1 of 13 (1122 views)
Shortcut
Barrel Escape 'Relatively early' in DOS? Can't Post

I have commented before now but this is my first ever post! Smile

Something has been puzzling me for a while now - in one interview (found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1eAWskbUrs) Peter Jackson stated that the barrel escape happens 'relatively early' in DOS and I was wondering how this could be?

There seems to be too much to fit in before the Barrel escape (Beorn, Spiders, introduction of Mirkwood elves etc. not to mention Dol Goldur subplot stuff) for the barrel escape to occur 'relatively early'.

Am I missing something?

jschomburg
Rivendell

May 16 2013, 7:14pm

Post #2 of 13 (580 views)
Shortcut
Might depend on definition of the term "early". [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome!

I think I recall that prior to going to 3 films that the barrel scene was to be close to the end of AUJ. If it happens during the first hour of a three hour movie, is that early? I don't know, but maybe. You have a very good point though, lots to cover prior to that scene.

(This post was edited by jschomburg on May 16 2013, 7:17pm)

Arandir
Gondor

May 16 2013, 7:17pm

Post #3 of 13 (594 views)
Shortcut
I propose a further question to that [In reply to] Can't Post

The 'relatively early' quote has also puzzled me for a while and makes me wonder, in case we actually DO get the barrels sequence within the first hour, how far will DOS further advance the story within the remaining 1.5 to 2 hours - in other words, how much will be included so as to allow enough material for film 3 ... Crazy

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

dormouse
Half-elven

May 16 2013, 7:38pm

Post #4 of 13 (509 views)
Shortcut
Also on the definition of 'relatively'..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Relative to what?

elaen32
Gondor

May 16 2013, 8:10pm

Post #5 of 13 (471 views)
Shortcut
? The end credits [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, facetious answer, couldn't resistSmile But you are right of course- PJ has made these vague statements before and I believe this statement was made when they only had a rough cut of DoS. Since it subsequently seems that there may be further additions/flashbacks, the barrells may have been pushed back. My guess is that it will be at about the one hour mark, but that is just a total guess!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Angharad73
Rohan

May 16 2013, 8:36pm

Post #6 of 13 (450 views)
Shortcut
Or further to that question... [In reply to] Can't Post

...how much is going to be added, ie. stuff that is not in the book?

I would expect the barrel sequence perhaps around the middle of the movie... Would that still be 'relatively early'? But that depends on what material is added and where it is placed in the movie.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 16 2013, 9:05pm

Post #7 of 13 (419 views)
Shortcut
I do agree [In reply to] Can't Post

the escape by barrel will be very near the middle of The Desolation of Smaug.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 16 2013, 9:54pm

Post #8 of 13 (396 views)
Shortcut
My guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

...would be that "relatively early" means in the first half of the movie. Just think, the prologue, introducing Beorn, introducing Mirkwood, mirkwood before the spiders, spider fight, where has Gandalf gone off to since Beorn's?, all the elven stuff THEN the barrels. Phew! Looking at this, if the barrels are indeed "relatively early" and I am correct in saying that means the first half of the film then there is no way that DOS will be shorter than AUJ like Boyens said somewhere...

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

May 17 2013, 12:59am

Post #9 of 13 (303 views)
Shortcut
indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

in other words, how much will be included so as to allow enough material for film 3 ... Crazy

This is something I've been wondering ever since seeing the end of AUJ! It's so so much they'll have to cram in in order for TABA to be fine...

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

cats16
Valinor

May 17 2013, 3:52am

Post #10 of 13 (287 views)
Shortcut
I keep thinking... [In reply to] Can't Post

that he said in an interview that the barrels sequence would happen within the first hour of the film. I can't trace down a link for it, because there are so many interviews and it would take quite a long time to track down this quote.

But does anyone else remember hearing this quote from PJ? If not, perhaps I'm just hearing things...Blush

Súlimë
Rivendell

May 18 2013, 4:24am

Post #11 of 13 (133 views)
Shortcut
This is what I thought as well! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...would be that "relatively early" means in the first half of the movie.

Mirkwood is easily my favorite part from the book, so I hope there will be at least an hour of it!

elaen32
Gondor

May 18 2013, 5:51am

Post #12 of 13 (121 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely agree Sulime! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirkwood is easily my favorite part from the book, so I hope there will be at least an hour of it!

I love the eeriness and forboding feel- I've always liked creepy forests!. The only part I have had issues with is the "Attercop" section, which I used to find rather silly, but it has grown on me and I now find it charming, even though it breaks the tension somewhat More Mirkwood please (as long as it's done well)!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

TolkienLocked
The Shire

May 19 2013, 11:43pm

Post #13 of 13 (49 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope they include the rhyme that Bilbo says when he's trying to aggravate the spiders, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.