Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Pick up filming has begun! And - might we get to see Aragorn...?

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 14 2013, 10:21pm

Post #1 of 23 (1797 views)
Shortcut
Pick up filming has begun! And - might we get to see Aragorn...? Can't Post

Our good friends over at our partner site Tolkiendrim.com reported here that shooting of pick ups for the next two Hobbit movies begins on May 15th - that's already today in many parts of the world! And a good part of 'today' has already passed in New Zealand - so we're assuming that filming is already underway. Shooting is scheduled to continue until the end of July.

Of course, the question we're all pondering is: what scenes will be slated for this period of filming? We already know that 3 foot 7 were looking to cast extras with 'character faces', as described in their ad, here. Spanish Tolkien site elanillounico.com and French site Tolkiendrim.com both report that, apparently, these extras are sought for scenes which will take place in Bree; which of course does seem to fit with a need for character faces.

And this is where the wild speculation begins - get ready, because we're guessing outside the box here! What scenes for The Hobbit movies might be set in Bree? Surely there is no need for An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition material to take us back to Bree on the journey of Bilbo and the dwarves? More interestingly, perhaps it could be a flashback to Gandalf and Thorin's first meeting on the road, when they passed a night at Bree, as described in The Quest for Erebor? What important information might the film makers wish to disclose in such a scene - more about the back story of Azanulbizar and the disappearance of Thorin's father, Thrain?

In their article, our French friends go even further and speculate that this may be a chance for some of the oft discussed 'bridge' material between the stories of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Perhaps we will get to see Aragorn and Gandalf meeting in Bree, during Aragorn's ranging days in the North, before the beginning of the hunt for Gollum. Viggo Mortensen only recently stated again, this time to Total Film magazine, that he would be keen to play a role in The Hobbit trilogy. He is reported here as having said, 'Would I play Aragorn again? Sure, if it seemed sensible to do so. He's not in the book of The Hobbit, but if they're working with the appendices they may be intending to bridge the 60-year Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings gap.' Mortensen went on to say, 'I think I would have heard by now so I have to assume [not]... But Peter Jackson is famous for his reshoots, so you never know!'

Now that is something exciting to think about. Total idle speculation of course; we don't even know for sure that scenes ARE being filmed in Bree. But it's fun to dream of a little glimpse of Strider....

Thanks to our friends at Tolkiendrim.com for their report!

(This post was edited by entmaiden on May 15 2013, 3:09pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 15 2013, 9:48am

Post #2 of 23 (640 views)
Shortcut
I would really like to see Gandalf meeting with Thorin at Bree [In reply to] Can't Post

The circumstances of Gandalf and Thorin getting together in the first place are unexplained in AUJ, and the great location of Bree would be a good place to see this happen.

I don't see the need for any of the cast of LOTR (apart from Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel) to appear in the next two films. They are part of the LOTR trilogy, not The Hobbit, which should be the focus of the story without diversions. We've already had Bilbo and Frodo at the beginning of AUJ, and that is enough.

dik-dik
Lorien

May 15 2013, 10:04am

Post #3 of 23 (609 views)
Shortcut
Exactly the same sentiments here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin and Gandalf get my vote as well. Smile Yay also for Bree itself the design of which I loved in LotR.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Angharad73
Rohan

May 15 2013, 10:37am

Post #4 of 23 (571 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would really like to see the first meeting between Thorin and Gandalf in Bree and how they set up the meeting at Bilbo's place. I would find that far more interesting and relevant to the story than any bridge scenes to connect the Hobbit movies with LOTR, as it would set up and explain the dynamic between Thorin and Gandalf and how the whole quest came about.

Bringing Aragorn into the story might be nice for the fans, but for those new to the Tolkien movies, who haven't even seen LOTR yet, it would spoil Aragron's introduction in FotR, which would be a shame as that scene is great.

Seaber
Rivendell

May 15 2013, 1:09pm

Post #5 of 23 (525 views)
Shortcut
Would Be nice if they could get Butterbur back if there is a scene in the Prancing Pony [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be in favour of getting Viggo back too.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 15 2013, 1:23pm

Post #6 of 23 (519 views)
Shortcut
It would have to be Barliman's father or grandfather [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Would Be nice if they could get Butterbur back if there is a scene in the Prancing Pony I would be in favour of getting Viggo back too.

Barliman Butterbur wouldn't fit into the timeframe of The Hobbit.

I can see a limited role for an adult Aragorn in the films (as opposed to the 10-year old that he would have been in the book), but only in the subplot involving Gandalf and the White Council. Aragorn as a young adult would be about the right age to show his first encounter with Gandalf. Even with make-up, soft lenses, and age-reducing software, though, I'm not sure that Viggo could play Aragorn as a 20-something. I also don't see any sense in including a scene that would be set in the timeframe of LotR such as a set-up for the search for Gollum.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Darkstone
Immortal

May 15 2013, 1:35pm

Post #7 of 23 (534 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping for The Forsaken Inn. / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 15 2013, 3:50pm

Post #8 of 23 (497 views)
Shortcut
And that would be [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

a day's journey out from Bree. But I also would like to see Thorin and Gandalf in Bree. Jackson makes some questionable choices but he does a good job in expanding scenes Tolkien only hints at. So the chance meeting of Thorin and Gandalf on the edge of Spring is one Jackson should tackle.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 15 2013, 7:10pm

Post #9 of 23 (400 views)
Shortcut
but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

a pick up is part of a scene that has already been filmed, either they have already shot bree and are doing a bree pickup (there has been no hint of this in the past) or they are shooting a brand new scene...which is it?

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 15 2013, 7:25pm

Post #10 of 23 (392 views)
Shortcut
I could do without Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think his inclusion is even necessary honestly. To me its just another cheap tie in to Jackson's own LOTR which IMO isn't needed. Tongue

However that said if there were a scene near the end of the film with Gandalf talking to some unknown person wearing similar cloths to Strider from FOTR where we don't hear a conversation, don't see a face I wouldn't mind. Maybe on Bilbo's return trip home or something. But we do not need Viggo back, nor a speaking role for Aragorn. Wink

Arannir
Valinor

May 15 2013, 9:13pm

Post #11 of 23 (340 views)
Shortcut
Fully agreed that he is not needed. [In reply to] Can't Post

But would love to have a kid walking by in some Rivendell scenes though - something no regular movie goer will recognize but fans might know: Estel.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 15 2013, 9:15pm

Post #12 of 23 (345 views)
Shortcut
Maybe in the next remake... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that the possibility of seeing young Estel is ruined for this trilogy.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DanielLB
Immortal

May 15 2013, 9:17pm

Post #13 of 23 (359 views)
Shortcut
I have to say ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I find this all terribly exciting. I don't particular mind that Aragorn isn't *supposed* to be in The Hobbit. But the prospect of Bree, Thorin & Gandalf, and Aragorn makes these pick-ups/new scenes very exciting.

Just what I need in this news and spoiler drought.

Sly

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 15 2013, 9:37pm

Post #14 of 23 (326 views)
Shortcut
Why do you think that Aragorn might be there? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm baffled by your excitement about the possibility that Aragorn might be in the films when, in fact, there doesn't seem to be any evidence whatsoever to suggest that that is true. What am I missing?

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

DanielLB
Immortal

May 15 2013, 9:42pm

Post #15 of 23 (330 views)
Shortcut
Any news gets me excited these days... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ignoring whether Aragorn will appear or not, the additional filming in Bree is enough to get me excited. Your not missing anything, just OTT (and totally NARF) excitement!

Smile

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 15 2013, 9:50pm

Post #16 of 23 (326 views)
Shortcut
But the Bree news was days ago [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to be a curmudgeon, but it bothers me when pure, unadulterated speculation is packaged as "news".

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

RosieLass
Valinor

May 15 2013, 10:07pm

Post #17 of 23 (357 views)
Shortcut
Please, no Aragorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are already too many LOTR characters in the Hobbit as it is.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

alienorchid
Lorien

May 16 2013, 10:52am

Post #18 of 23 (245 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping for some Thorin/Gandalf time in Bree! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really loved discovering that little piece of backstory back when I was first discovering Middle Earth! Those snippets of history, the chance-meetings and the way all the events are linked through time absolutely thrill me, so I'd love to see one of them depicted in the films!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 16 2013, 2:15pm

Post #19 of 23 (219 views)
Shortcut
this [In reply to] Can't Post

this is probably the last time peter jackson will have a chance to make visible tolkien's creation.

with the hobbit, we have a chance, not just for a beautiful, three-film arc of the hobbit, but a super-epic six-film arc that not only illustrates the world of middle-earth, but the rolling history of events, which are utterly connected.

yes, each trilogy needs to be able to exist on its own, as each film in either trilogy needs to be able to stand on its own, but that does not preclude making them part of a six-chapter story.

many great arguments exist for including aragorn in the hobbit. his inclusion makes sense, when all films are seen as a whole, which they are. other characters, like arwen, would also make sense (regardless of whether aragorn and arwen would have scenes together).

the world is rich, jackson and his team are imaginative and respectful of tolkien's world, and largely true to its spirit.

let the six films together, be sung not as individual notes, but a song.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Darkstone
Immortal

May 16 2013, 2:31pm

Post #20 of 23 (234 views)
Shortcut
The problem is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...upon meeting Strider in the FOTR film there is a bit of tension as to whether he is friend or foe. Just as with prematurely making Saruman an obvious foe in The Hobbit films, making Aragorn a friend would destroy parts of the dramatic narrative in FOTR.

Not good if you're interested in continuity over the six films.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Thranderz
Rohan

May 16 2013, 3:52pm

Post #21 of 23 (198 views)
Shortcut
In case you haven't heard... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they haven't filmed a single shot of BOFA but they said that they were going to film the whole thing in pick ups, so filming Bree during pick ups is very possible! Wink

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 16 2013, 9:06pm

Post #22 of 23 (151 views)
Shortcut
Just say no to Aragorn.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on May 16 2013, 9:07pm)

SheHathaldir
The Shire

May 17 2013, 4:30pm

Post #23 of 23 (117 views)
Shortcut
Wish I Was There [In reply to] Can't Post

Very excited to hear that filming has started! There's this part of my mind that keeps telling me I ought to get on a plane and head to Wellington before the end of July, just to be on the scene while possibly the last filming ever to be done on these movies takes place. Not that I would probably have the slightest chance of seeing anyone or anything if I did go, but one can dream.

I'm assuming this will all be in-studio filming, or could there be some on-location pick-ups as well?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.