Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
many viewings....

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 16 2013, 9:36pm

Views: 56
Shortcut
many viewings.... [In reply to] Can't Post

i was initially hesitant to see it in hfr, because of all the negative press.

december (2x): i saw it first in 3d, at a high-end theater. it seemed really dark, the action was hard to follow, and there was a lot of confusing blur. thought the film had some definite pacing problems. saw it once more in 3d, at that theater.

then, there was a gap (january), and i started to seek it out in earnest in...

february/march (15x-16x): saw it in 2d and 3d at theaters farther afield (had to drive farther to see it). the 2d was in a supposedly good theater, but it was very, horribly dark, and seemed out of focus. i reported it to staff, who said that "it's digital," so there shouldn't be any problems. (huh.) 3d was about the same as previous viewings.

then, i had to drive even farther to see it, as it was disappearing from theaters. i drove 40 minutes to see it in a mega-multiplex, that always is showing something imax/3d.

at the multi-mega-plex, saw it in +spectacular+ 2d. the screen was +huge+, the sound system wonderful, and it was better than 3d. just superb.

during this time, i also saw it in imax (1x) (intense, impressive, but gave me a headache) and the very last showing of hfr in a four-state radius (1x). the hfr was +astounding+. i loved it. wished i could have seen it more times that way.

all of the variations had their own characteristics. i thought the best were the hfr and the 2d in the +spectacular+ theater with the huge screen. i think the huge screen and sound system made a critical difference.

interestingly, the more i saw it, the less i noticed/was bothered by what i didn't care for in the initial two viewings. the pacing seemed fine after a while. things that initially took me out of the film (radagast, cgi) i just blipped over.

i +can't wait+ to see desolation in hfr.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Subject User Time
Late to the party. Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot May 14 2013, 7:53pm
    For me, the 3D was the major problem... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel May 14 2013, 8:16pm
    The problem I had with the HFR was ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB May 14 2013, 8:27pm
    I found Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano May 14 2013, 10:15pm
    I loved the 3D 48 HFR the most Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela May 14 2013, 10:21pm
    Sorry, but I preferred the 3D 48fps hands down Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby May 14 2013, 10:29pm
    Needed the DVD, actually Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 14 2013, 11:32pm
    Loved the HFR 3D! Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë May 15 2013, 3:09am
        Telling a tale. Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot May 15 2013, 7:13am
            Very interesting point! Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë May 15 2013, 8:28am
    It took me three tries Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua May 15 2013, 3:50am
    I'm on the fence... Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz May 16 2013, 6:59pm
        Only One MovieHouse Offered all 3? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 16 2013, 7:03pm
        Well Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska May 16 2013, 9:10pm
    many viewings.... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 16 2013, 9:36pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.