Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So my cat watched the Hobbit last night.......

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 14 2013, 6:56pm

Post #1 of 23 (1210 views)
Shortcut
So my cat watched the Hobbit last night....... Can't Post

My adorable little kitty Boots sat upright at the end of my bed and stared at the screen for the whole damn movie! It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. If an animal can enjoy the movie than who can't?? That is all. Laugh

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 7:15pm

Post #2 of 23 (565 views)
Shortcut
that [In reply to] Can't Post

.... is +awesome+!!!!

so glad boots liked it. what were his/her favorite parts? does he/she think pjackson took too many liberties?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Rostron2
Gondor

May 14 2013, 7:28pm

Post #3 of 23 (522 views)
Shortcut
Obviously [In reply to] Can't Post

She was waiting for the Gollum part, with the fish riddle.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 8:49pm

Post #4 of 23 (398 views)
Shortcut
Bomby's babies.... Aragorn&Arwen love Howard's Music!/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Na Vedui
Rohan

May 14 2013, 8:54pm

Post #5 of 23 (443 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps she recognised a kindred spirit... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... in Fili: he swaggers into Bag End with that ginger-tomcat smirk and turns out to have lots of hidden claws, then you turn your back for five minutes and he's jumped up on the dinner-table and is prowling amongst the dishes - I almost expected Bilbo to clap his hands and say "Shoo shoo!"

elaen32
Gondor

May 14 2013, 9:36pm

Post #6 of 23 (366 views)
Shortcut
You do wonder what goes on in their heads [In reply to] Can't Post

when you see things like this. My cat Harry does seem to like the Gollum parts in both TH and LOTR- maybe it's something in the voice (Andy Serkis was said to have based some of the sounds on his cats bringing up hairballs!) or maybe he recognises a kindred spirit (let's hope not- thankfully Harry does not have taste for crunchable birdses). Either way, he will sit and stare at the screen. He also likes the thrush flying to Erebor at the end! My other cat, Lizzie (now sadly deceased) used to love the Charge of the Rohirrim- she would sit close to the tv and occasionally bat the odd horse or orc with her paw.
I'm glad that Boots enjoyed AUJ and that you have turned him/her into a feline Tolkien geek!!Cool

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 9:49pm

Post #7 of 23 (364 views)
Shortcut
+excellent+ [In reply to] Can't Post

+excellent+ comparison.

i, also, am struck with the vertically bobbing swagger with which fili enters bag end. and he does indeed jump onto and walk on the table. oh, and he hates to be picked up.

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 14 2013, 10:15pm

Post #8 of 23 (369 views)
Shortcut
His least favorite part... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was probably the giant eagles. It's like a horror scene for a small furry animal haha Such a large bird of prey that could swoop him up in seconds. Shocked

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 14 2013, 10:16pm

Post #9 of 23 (353 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! Had she read the book? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My adorable little kitty Boots sat upright at the end of my bed and stared at the screen for the whole damn movie! It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. If an animal can enjoy the movie than who can't?? That is all. Laugh

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 15 2013, 12:25am

Post #10 of 23 (327 views)
Shortcut
That's amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

My dogs sit with me whenever I watch the films, but they just sleep. However, one of my dogs, Pepper, perks up when the Rhosgobel hares appear. My dog Poochi (deceased) would get scared everytime the Uruk-Hai growled.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 15 2013, 2:18am

Post #11 of 23 (289 views)
Shortcut
I have nothing to add - I just love your description here Na Vedui! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
.... in Fili: he swaggers into Bag End with that ginger-tomcat smirk and turns out to have lots of hidden claws, then you turn your back for five minutes and he's jumped up on the dinner-table and is prowling amongst the dishes - I almost expected Bilbo to clap his hands and say "Shoo shoo!"

BTW: Great thread Mitch King! Smile

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 15 2013, 3:48am

Post #12 of 23 (295 views)
Shortcut
I think the fangirls [In reply to] Can't Post

would agree to this, can imagine a few of them would love to 'scritch' his tummy...
EvilLaugh

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Eruwestial37
Lorien

May 15 2013, 5:03am

Post #13 of 23 (292 views)
Shortcut
My dog loves the Wargs [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen is my Old English Sheepdog and she just adores the Warg/Rabbit sled chase. She sits perfectly still and watches the whole thing. She likes the other Warg scenes too, but the chase is her favorite. I keep reminding her that sheepdogs don't eat people.

MaeBeth
Bree

May 15 2013, 3:39pm

Post #14 of 23 (205 views)
Shortcut
I don't really have anything to contribute [In reply to] Can't Post

But Na Vedui, I almost shot milk out my noseTongue

For you & I, there's a new land (Angels that fly)
Sanctuary, my sanctuary yeah
Where fears & lies melt away (Musical tide)
What's left of me, what's left of me now

RangerLady23
Lorien

May 15 2013, 5:31pm

Post #15 of 23 (207 views)
Shortcut
Wicked! [In reply to] Can't Post

And then they say that animals are dumb? Yeah, right. Give Boots a pet for me since he totally has good taste. There's a Tolkien fan in all of us, even our four-legged friends!

Ref
Rivendell

May 15 2013, 7:52pm

Post #16 of 23 (193 views)
Shortcut
RE: The Mitch King [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately my British Short Hair (Maisie) fell asleep through our viewing for TH and LOTRs. However, she will watch anything with Robert Downey Jnr. She adores him.

Laugh

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

Lio
Lorien

May 15 2013, 11:54pm

Post #17 of 23 (146 views)
Shortcut
Could we have a canine fangirl on our hands? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hot Dwarves for the two-legged ladies, hot (?) Wargs for the four-legged ones? Laugh

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Loresilme
Valinor

May 16 2013, 12:09am

Post #18 of 23 (140 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

May 16 2013, 12:11am

Post #19 of 23 (151 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, movie firster or book firster? Inquiring kitty minds want to know Smile!

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 16 2013, 3:05am

Post #20 of 23 (141 views)
Shortcut
Who doesnt love RDJ??? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Unfortunately my British Short Hair (Maisie) fell asleep through our viewing for TH and LOTRs. However, she will watch anything with Robert Downey Jnr. She adores him.

Laugh

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 16 2013, 7:33am

Post #21 of 23 (123 views)
Shortcut
Awesome. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

sam90
Lorien

May 16 2013, 8:15pm

Post #22 of 23 (99 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen a cats and dogs staring at the TV for a couple of seconds maybe a minute but a whole movie?? Wow that's amazing. It is really a strange cat that you have! Does he make anything else, let's say unusual?

(This post was edited by sam90 on May 16 2013, 8:15pm)

Eruwestial37
Lorien

May 16 2013, 8:53pm

Post #23 of 23 (115 views)
Shortcut
That's a good point [In reply to] Can't Post

As more and more of us have LCD and LED televisions, it's likely that our pets are going to be paying more attention to them. The old CRT screens were harder for them to interpret. I know this because Dr. Irene Pepperberg with her work with parrots said that her Alex reacted strongly to the flatscreen computer. His vision was typical of birds, they interpret visual cues faster than our eyes do. So the old screens with their electron guns shooting particles at the back of the screen made no sense to them. The newer screens show it all at once, as I understand, so animals are going to get the whole picture. Makes it more likely that they'll pay attention.
What is surprising to me is that dogs (and probably cats to a lesser degree) are largely scent oriented, so they are ignoring their noses and using their weaker sense, that of sight, to observe this event. Our sound quality is better too, so they're more likely to expect to see a dog or wolf when hearing the wargs.
Has anyone had their dog or cat react strongly to the scenes when shown on an older television? Would be interested in finding out.
Dr. Pepperberg even had special programming for Alex that he could control. His favorite program? Her.Heart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.