The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
PJ's Middle Earth VS Marvel's Cinematic Universe

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 14 2013, 6:46pm

Post #1 of 14 (5401 views)
Shortcut
PJ's Middle Earth VS Marvel's Cinematic Universe Can't Post

If we all try to be as objective as possible....which world is better and which one is pulled off in movies better??

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 14 2013, 9:58pm

Post #2 of 14 (4765 views)
Shortcut
d rather live in the one with the Hobbits... [In reply to] Can't Post

But if one reality were to invade the other, I would put my money on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They've got gods, high-technology and magic. I would put Thor against the Balrog any day.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Escapist
Gondor

May 14 2013, 10:04pm

Post #3 of 14 (4754 views)
Shortcut
Both are great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I say Marvel is better on film. Both are worlds that one can easily get lost in and that have the potential to foster discussion - and both have a connection that is traceable to everyday life.

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 15 2013, 3:38pm

Post #4 of 14 (4977 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I just think Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet.....game over! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But if one reality were to invade the other, I would put my money on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They've got gods, high-technology and magic. I would put Thor against the Balrog any day.

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 26 2013, 3:47pm

Post #5 of 14 (4666 views)
Shortcut
have to give it to Marvel too [In reply to] Can't Post

because it`s contemporary, I really dig heroes who can fly and I really dig those hot actors Marvel assembled. Not that Thorin, Legolas, Bard, Aragorn aren`t fine but I just cannot resist Tony Stark, Thor, Steve Rogers, the lastest Bruce Banner, Hawkeye and - the best for the last - Loki.

imin
Valinor

May 27 2013, 11:20pm

Post #6 of 14 (4741 views)
Shortcut
Middle earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Although PJ's version of Middle-earth is not exactly my version at least it is still good for the most part, where as all the Marvel superhero movies bar Iron Man 1 have been absolutely terrible movies.

So which world is better - obviously M-e, which has been pulled off better - well im not a comic book fan so maybe they got exactly what they wanted but basing it on how good the films actually are - M-e is the clear winner.

So overall by 2-0 its PJ's M-e! Smile

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

May 31 2013, 3:27pm

Post #7 of 14 (4645 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 2:08am

Post #8 of 14 (4626 views)
Shortcut
I love both, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that the Marvel world would win, because it's got more advanced technology and stuff like that.
I think I would prefer to live in Middle-Earth, since the Elves are really cool and have awesome bows (Hawkeye's bow is really neat too!), but if it came to a battle, the Elves would probably suffer much more than the Marvel world.
Living in the Marvel would be incredible too. I'd want to be paired up with Hawkeye and use exploding arrows or flaming ones or something like that!

As to the movies, I think both are pulled off equally well, except for the fact that you can't explain why the Marvel characters never die even though they get beaten within an inch of their lives. Like, Black Widow went through the whole final battle of Avengers and only got a small cut on her head. What's up with that? The Marvel heroes are awesome, but sometimes it's too unbelievable, whereas M-E is a little more believable because the characters aren't exactly human. Of course, Legolas being an immortal being would look like he's never fought in his life before, but Black Widow and Hawkeye aren't immortal. They don't even have super powers!

Anyway, I vote Marvel winning a battle, but prefer to live in M-E; both types of movies are pulled off incredibly well.

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

demnation
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 8:21am

Post #9 of 14 (4651 views)
Shortcut
neither [In reply to] Can't Post

Upon reflection, I find that my opinion (in terms of how successful they are as movies) on Pj's films and the Marvel movies are pretty much the same.

My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognized as so far superior to myself- J.R.R. Tolkien

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jun 25 2013, 2:02pm

Post #10 of 14 (4588 views)
Shortcut
But Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Has Illuvatar. Game over. Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 25 2013, 6:48pm

Post #11 of 14 (4603 views)
Shortcut
Galactus eats Arda [In reply to] Can't Post

Game over.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 7:14am

Post #12 of 14 (4604 views)
Shortcut
Marvel has their gods too [In reply to] Can't Post

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Jul 4 2013, 11:48am

Post #13 of 14 (4566 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth would win [In reply to] Can't Post

How could any Marvel superhero defeat The valar ??? only Tulkas alone would beat the Avangers and X-men together Laugh Laugh Laugh !!! And if you put all marvel villains against Morgoth , sauron , balrog , The nazgul ,glaurung and other dark captains of morgoth I think it's easy to guess who will win !!! plus Thor may be a god but he is not undead as far as i know ... Wink

(This post was edited by W1tchK1nG on Jul 4 2013, 11:50am)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 5 2013, 11:26pm

Post #14 of 14 (4602 views)
Shortcut
What about Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet? [In reply to] Can't Post

You think any of the magical rings are powerful?? How about a gauntlet with control over all Souls, Space, Time, Mind, Reality and Power? Thanos killed mostly all of Marvel's Eternals (or Gods) and also wiped out half of the universe's life with one thought. If anyone in Middle Earth could have done that there would have been no wars.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.