Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Benedict Cumberbatch On Smaug, including interesting bits about his audition, from The Huffington Post.

Oleander Took
Rivendell

May 14 2013, 12:25am

Post #1 of 19 (2016 views)
Shortcut
Benedict Cumberbatch On Smaug, including interesting bits about his audition, from The Huffington Post. Can't Post

. From a Star Trek interview.

"Just like I didn't expect you to be in a "Star Trek" movie, for "The Hobbit," you are not the first person I think of when I hear "dragon voice."
You're not the only one. I didn't think I'd be a go-to dragon. Basically, I auditioned for it. And I really wanted the part because I really wanted to do motion-capture. And my father read me the story when I was a child, and it was just a great, full circle, to be able to pay back the compliment. The imagination he fired up at such a young age of having this fantastic, rich, vivid story illuminated by an actor -- which he is -- and so beautifully characterized as he did with bedtime reads as a kid, it's something that really made me want to be a part of it. I was never really into "The Lord of the Rings," but "The Hobbit" was really a defining moment for me as a kid growing up. So, I was over the moon when Peter [Jackson] thought -- surprisingly, to the world -- that I would be right for his dragon.

I didn't realize that you auditioned.
I went in and auditioned for it and met him in person. And he kept on making me read all of these other characters. I said, "Peter, I'm really flattered, but I would give all of your interest up in any of these other characters and sort of throw the bet all on the one I really want to play, which is the dragon." He's like, "Oh, no, no. It's in the bag, mate. You nailed that audition." I said, "Really?" He said, "He totally got what we want from you and that's very exciting, but you could possibly be three or four other parts." I was like, "What?" That was a secret I kept to myself for a while -- and I don't want to talk about that too much because, again, that's another franchise and I know they want to keep that all for when it kicks off this winter. But I will say this: Not only is he a delightful man, he's as delightful to work for as he is a person.
I've interviewed him a couple of times. He seems very nice.
He's lovely, isn't he? He's so modest. You think, this guy plodding around barefoot in shorts and a T-shirt is in charge of the most extraordinary film empire -- and he's kind of built his own studio around those projects."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com
.Two interviews where he speaks about Smaug on the same day? Things may be heating up!

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 14 2013, 12:51am

Post #2 of 19 (1160 views)
Shortcut
My take-away lesson from this is: [In reply to] Can't Post

Parents: Fire up your kid's geekery early and you'll never know where it'll take them. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 1:17am

Post #3 of 19 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Yes! may the Circle Never be unbroken! [In reply to] Can't Post

From Fathers&Mothers
to children...
or should Bomby
say,

Never leave the Ring
of Life alone...

demnation
Rohan

May 14 2013, 1:24am

Post #4 of 19 (1021 views)
Shortcut
A class act, that Cumberbatch [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think it is better when actors approach things like Star Trek and TH as non-fans or with limited exposure (as in BC's case). I just think it tends to bring out better and more genuine performances. For example: Martin Freeman is running around TH with a look on his face that really is asking "What am I doing here?" and that is perfect, because that is exactly what Bilbo's character calls for.

Use Well the Days

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 5:55am

Post #5 of 19 (991 views)
Shortcut
Cumberbatch "could possibly be 3 or 4 other parts..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Presumably that was then - and not now? He is "just" Smaug and the Necromancer as far as we know.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on May 14 2013, 5:56am)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 14 2013, 6:08am

Post #6 of 19 (926 views)
Shortcut
Presumably a bit like Jed? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cumberbatch has 2 main roles (Smaug and voicing the Necromancer). On top of that, he's probably an extra in other places (perhaps a Ringwraith and Orc?) Makes sense to utilise the actors you already have to fill in the gaps, rather than get someone else in.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 6:14am

Post #7 of 19 (908 views)
Shortcut
Cumberbatch the extra! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I guess as he won't be recognizable in either of his main roles then he could crop up in another "minor role" without causing confusion!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

May 14 2013, 8:40am

Post #8 of 19 (821 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps a role where you gonna recognize him? [In reply to] Can't Post

Neither Smaug nor Sauron (both motion-capture) will look like Benedict Cumberbatch at all so perhaps he is gonna play a small cameo part where you actual can see him in person? Just like Andy Serkis who played King Kong (motion capture) in "King Kong" and Lumpy the cook or in LOTR where he played Gollum (motion capture) and a small cameo as young Smeagol?

I think it would be great to look for Cumberbatchs face in DOS or TABA ;)

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 9:37am

Post #9 of 19 (841 views)
Shortcut
I think the necromancer will have a resemblance with Benedict [In reply to] Can't Post

Well and considering who the necromancer is, I´m almost completely sure that they will make a flashback to show who the necromancer was before falling into the darkness, and definetly it will have his face

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Arannir
Valinor

May 14 2013, 10:08am

Post #10 of 19 (835 views)
Shortcut
BC as Annatar. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. Just yes.

I still hope for a Sauron flashback when the WC realizes who the Necro is... maybe told by Galadriel.

"Mithrandir... Sauron? Sauron the fallen. Sauron the traitor..."

Not sure what of his story is in LotR and TH, though. At least Annatar they wanted to use in LotR as well... not sure about the Eregion and Numenor storyline other than the timelines.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on May 14 2013, 10:09am)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 10:11am

Post #11 of 19 (872 views)
Shortcut
PJ told in an ancient interview (Del Toro´s period) [In reply to] Can't Post

hat they were going to show more of Sauron, a lot more of his origns, and in LOTR books there is a lot more that what was tod in the movies. Morgoth even is in there, so I can imagine that thsi could be one of the most awesome parts of the six movies.

And I can see a paralel prologue in TABA, paralel to Gollum´s prologue in ROTK, of the downfall of Annatar into the darkness

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 14 2013, 10:32am

Post #12 of 19 (801 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to hearing interviews with him [In reply to] Can't Post

He's very articulate, and it would be great to see him interacting with Martin Freeman in interviews (MF is much better interacting with other actors in interviews, than doing them on his own – a naturally very funny guy).

I'd love to actually see BC in the films.

Great, also, that he has such enthusiasm for the work! Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

May 14 2013, 10:53am

Post #13 of 19 (796 views)
Shortcut
I can't remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is Cumberbatch just providing the voice of the Necromancer, or is he just doing the motion capture? Or both?

Crazy

Arannir
Valinor

May 14 2013, 11:01am

Post #14 of 19 (788 views)
Shortcut
They only talked about the voice... [In reply to] Can't Post

... as of yet, but of course they would want to be secretive about a Sauron-flashback if it should happen. That would be a pretty epic surprise one would not want to spoil.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 11:07am

Post #15 of 19 (786 views)
Shortcut
have to find PJ´s interview were he says that [In reply to] Can't Post

but Im pretty sure that we will see itWink

painjoiker
Grey Havens

May 14 2013, 12:43pm

Post #16 of 19 (741 views)
Shortcut
Both, [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I can remember I think he's cast as both motion-capture as voice!
He have been talking about how he's going to separate the voices in at least one interview, though I can't find it now... maybe someone else can?

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 14 2013, 6:45pm

Post #17 of 19 (651 views)
Shortcut
Cumberbatch is perfect for the role!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oleander Took
Rivendell

May 14 2013, 9:52pm

Post #18 of 19 (580 views)
Shortcut
Looked for the interview [In reply to] Can't Post

but no luck, sorry :/

But indeed he will both voice and mocap The Necromancer. Between this and Smaug voice and mocap i think we will enjoy the BTS materials a lot ;)

And my vote for any extra role he could have goes to Annatar too

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 16 2013, 5:46pm

Post #19 of 19 (466 views)
Shortcut
Yes he is doing both. Here is the quote from the article on TORn. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is Cumberbatch just providing the voice of the Necromancer, or is he just doing the motion capture? Or both?

Crazy

"In fact, Cumberbatch also performs as the Necromancer, doing both the voice and movement, but he won’t go into as much detail. “It was a huge challenge, but I’ll tell you more about that next time we speak,” he says. “I can’t say too much about it otherwise the forces in New Zealand will be on my back.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.