Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
not necessarily on sticking to the book

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 15 2013, 4:01pm

Views: 126
Shortcut
not necessarily on sticking to the book [In reply to] Can't Post

-- We'd have 13 pretty much interchangeable grumpy-garden-gnome Dwarves.

There are plenty of ways to individualize the dwarfs without making them look cartoonish and eccentric. The dwarfs in LOTR all looked different, they could have made them look a bit more unique but could have stayed away from the ridiculous hair styles, and at least gave ALL the dwarfs longer beards since they are called "long beards". I totally don't buy the BS about showing reverence to the singed beards

-- The Dwarves would have been caught one by one by the trolls, because they were stupid enough to walk up one by one to the trolls' fire and stand gawking.

I didn't mind the dwarfs all coming in together but it was the lead up to it that I found awful, Trolls stealing ponies right under their noses, knocking down trees, stomping about carrying a noisy pony under each arm and yet NOBODY noticed, esp since they were supposed to be on watch. THAT was better story telling? I saw nothing wrong with Bilbo being sent to investigate a fire in the distance because the dwarfs were cold, wet, and hungry. Then have the dwarfs come in to investigate. Which would have gave us something like we got but followed the book closer instead of making up some nonsense alternate storyline.

-- We'd have a talking purse.

I agree about the purse, that it wasn't needed, but they could have gave the purses lines to one of the trolls and it would have worked just fine

-- The Elves would be singing "tra la la lally, here down in the valley", etc.

They had already established the elves in LOTR no reason to change them to fit the book. I didn't mind the darker more serious nature of the elves. It would fit with the LOTR trilogy and add some maturity to the Hobbit without changing things too much. But it wouldn't have hurt to show them a bit more happy since they weren't yet leaving middle earth.

-- Amongst their belongings the Dwarves would be lugging with them clarinets, fiddles, flutes, viols, a drum, and a golden harp.

Not necessarily, it is never mentioned again about the instruments, maybe they were left at Baggend. Nothing says they took all their things with them on the journey. I wouldn't have an issue with them playing musical instruments. It would show a playful side to them. I will say I don't think Thorin needed a harp I did like the change with him showing up late and it showed how he was a more serious dwarf when the others knew he arrived since all the fun stopped at that point.

-- Bilbo would frequently be carried by the Dwarves.

Again I don't see a problem with the dwarfs carrying Bilbo once in a while, he should have been smaller than them (instead of him being almost the same size in the film) and might have needed carrying once in a while. I actually seeing them carry Bilbo, plus I would have rather Bilbo left his things at home and was wearing a cloak and hood a bit too big for him.

-- The Eagles would talk.

Don't see an issue with this either, nothing said we had to hear them speak. We could have merely seen Gandalf off a little ways from the group of dwarfs with an eagle slightly bigger than the others, looking as though they are speaking and then have Gandalf explain that the eagles saw the flames and the lord of the eagles recognized him so the rescued them. I like the thought of the eagles seeing the flames as apposed to using the moth. Its almost like Gandalf is hailing a cab using the moth Crazy

-- Goblins would sing things like "But, funny little birds, they had no wings! O what shall we do with the funny little things?"

They didn't need to sing it, but to have a goblin make the comment about the dwarfs being like birds and having no wings would have worked. They merely could have used the lyrics from the song and created some dialogue from them. It would keep with Jackson's previous trilogy by keeping the serious manner but would have included some of the song without actually singing. Makes perfect sense to me. I would have preferred the Goblin's chasing the dwarfs instead of the nonsense we got with the resurrected Azog, and Thorin walking down the flaming tree just to get pimp slapped to the ground.

And that's just a partial list of the things we would have, which, in my mind at least, would move us even farther from the LOTR-world we already knew. You could make an even longer list of the things we wouldn't have, starting with a much more complex and heroic Thorin Oakenshield than we ever see in the book (at least, through Chapter 6).

I hated the whole making Thorin a hero thing. In the book he wasn't at this point in his life. Maybe in the past he was but now he isn't. He just wants to reclaim his gold. Just seemed like they were trying to make him a mini Aragorn which to me was too cliche'. They should have left the timeframe the same instead of shortening it 170 year gap would have been better than the horrible decision to make it only 60. Hardly gives the people of Laketown a chance to forget the dragon. Which would have been an interesting dynamic with many people in Laketown doubting there even really was a dragon.

I think if they had stuck closer to the book we would have gotten a much more entertaining satisfactory story instead of all the made up NON Tolkien story we got. If I wanted to see a story made up by Peter Jackson with bits of Tolkien throughout that's one thing BUT I wanted to see a story by JRR Tolkien given Peter Jackson's treatment instead. There is a big difference. They should have just done the story as close as possible only making changes to it where there was no other option

Subject User Time
"Every good Story DESERVES a Littl' Embellishment?" Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 13 2013, 8:30am
    WWSIWWG Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin May 13 2013, 10:04am
        You could make two t-shirts imin Send a private message to imin May 13 2013, 10:38am
            What does 'WWSIWWG' mean? / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB May 13 2013, 10:57am
                From OP imin Send a private message to imin May 13 2013, 11:03am
                    Completely missed that! Oops. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB May 13 2013, 11:22am
    If I made these Movies... sador Send a private message to sador May 13 2013, 11:33am
        That's the problem with these movies(and fans), isn't it? demnation Send a private message to demnation May 14 2013, 1:13am
    I would agree IF Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 May 13 2013, 1:00pm
        Bomby feels that Sir PJ was doin' a littl' Wink, Wink Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 13 2013, 1:21pm
            He did a bit Elessar Send a private message to Elessar May 13 2013, 3:31pm
            Let It Be Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust May 14 2013, 1:41am
                Ziggy, you&Bomby are Simpatico!/// Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 14 2013, 2:00am
    So anyone with a different view from you Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 13 2013, 3:50pm
        hold the phone lol Elessar Send a private message to Elessar May 13 2013, 4:02pm
            I didn't say it was meant to be rude Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 13 2013, 4:08pm
                I didn't read it that way Elessar Send a private message to Elessar May 13 2013, 4:12pm
                    Bomby doesn't have a MEAN Bone in his Body Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 13 2013, 4:41pm
                Um, well... Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby May 13 2013, 6:44pm
        I agree Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 May 13 2013, 4:52pm
            Some take the High Road, some take the Low Road to Erebor Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 13 2013, 5:11pm
            Agreed Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 13 2013, 5:23pm
                Interesting Hypthosis Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury May 13 2013, 8:23pm
                    Urp? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 13 2013, 11:26pm
                    I admit Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 14 2013, 1:06am
                        I don't think its the inclusion of the White Council/DolGuldur material thats the problem Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 May 14 2013, 1:34am
                            same here... dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik May 14 2013, 8:53am
                            This is very true jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey May 14 2013, 9:09am
    It sounds a little as if Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano May 13 2013, 4:03pm
    I'm afraid we got far more than a little embellishment... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel May 13 2013, 5:23pm
    If you were talking about the LOTR trilogy, I would agree jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey May 13 2013, 5:53pm
        Bunny sled Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë May 13 2013, 6:10pm
        Jus' Whistle ...a Happy Hobbit Tune? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 13 2013, 6:22pm
        I think it is stil not going as far and disturbing as Fŕfnir Send a private message to Fŕfnir May 13 2013, 6:38pm
        Generally agreed with this Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 May 14 2013, 12:56am
        Maybe he had a person that said demnation Send a private message to demnation May 14 2013, 1:31am
    I really love your posts Bomby Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby May 13 2013, 6:59pm
    Hear, hear! Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn May 14 2013, 10:21am
        Just for the record... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai May 14 2013, 12:27pm
        Rho Rides to the Rescue! Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 14 2013, 1:26pm
        no problems with Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 14 2013, 5:15pm
        not necessarily on sticking to the book Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 May 15 2013, 4:01pm
    With all the Boyens-negativity... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir May 14 2013, 10:43am
    If we could actually run a statistical analysis Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 May 14 2013, 7:47pm
        Marshall McLuhan and Alvin Toffeler were Right! Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 14 2013, 9:24pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.