Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Behind the scenes footage from Japanese site
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 13 2013, 8:09am

Post #26 of 34 (331 views)
Shortcut
Men at Dol Guldur... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is PB implying there will be men, elves and wizards at Dol Guldur?

I don't think that this is an unreasonable guess. Several members of the White Council have close ties to the Rangers of the North. It is quite likely that a number of Rangers lent support to the attack on Dol Guldur, perhaps alongside the sons of Elrond.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

elaen32
Gondor

May 13 2013, 9:17am

Post #27 of 34 (324 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

their mother married three times? One assumes, since they are all supposed to be distant scions of the Line of Durin, that it is their mother through whom this bloodline comes. If her husbands died (fighting orcs, falling down mines, foul play?) then she might well be expected to remarry. The way the brothers are portrayed in the film, there does seem to be a reasonable age difference between each, which could play into this? Just a thought really....none of its canon, but I certainly agree that I cannot see a Tolkien character having serial affairs resulting in illegitimate children.

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

imin
Valinor

May 13 2013, 9:58am

Post #28 of 34 (296 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

If they were asked to expand upon her having children by 3 fathers, they would say, the first two husbands were killed in battle or some kind of accident so allowing her to remarry.

Though it just doesn't seem very dwarven to me as some women didn't marry at all because the dwarf they liked went with another female so if they can't get over that i doubt they would remarry.

As you say it's not canon and it doesn't matter - just again seems like something has been changed for no reason though i wonder if we (the audience) will find this out during the film or will it be some pointless back story that didn't make it in, lol.

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Arannir
Valinor

May 13 2013, 10:09am

Post #29 of 34 (291 views)
Shortcut
I think it is one.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... one of the backstories that were never meant to be discussed on screen but just some sort of things the team are talking about in the background, to give the actors something to chew on and play their characters distinctivly, even if you do not really see them that much on screen, at least not talking.

Something very typical to do, actually, especially in theatre, where a lot of characters, even big ones and in particular classical ones, do not often have established backgrounds and histories.

This is a very common acting method, especially for method actors.

Of course, that poor Dwarf woman could just have been very unlucky and have several husbands killed by Orcs or in the sack of Erebor (not sure how old the three are).

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on May 13 2013, 10:10am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 13 2013, 10:17am

Post #30 of 34 (290 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

this being mentioned briefly somewhere before and I got the impression it wasn't a totally serious explanation, more a story they invented to "explain" the differences between brothers as a sort of in-joke. Even if they were serious, I do not think it will ever be stated outright in the movie and so it will not be official movie canon, any more than the rules of "Tig" are.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

imin
Valinor

May 13 2013, 10:37am

Post #31 of 34 (274 views)
Shortcut
Think you are right :) [In reply to] Can't Post

There does seem to be lots of info which either the actors have come up with or has been given to them as a bio of the character which doesn't show in the film or isn't mentioned - kinda like the level of detail that is in the set designs which no one but SCOD viewers ever fully appreciate.

Overall as i said to me it doesn't matter but it just stood out to me as something odd - for me i will continue to imagine they are just different brothers from one mother and father as after so long i can't see them any other way! Tongue

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

TheHutt
Gondor

May 13 2013, 5:41pm

Post #32 of 34 (226 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's all known from the Chronicles books... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but nice to see some new material.
Strange that the Japanese get all this extra stuff, given the poor performance of AUJ at the box office there.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

May 14 2013, 12:48pm

Post #33 of 34 (101 views)
Shortcut
I might agree with speculation that this will maybe be in the EE... it feels so much like it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

mutelock
Bree

May 14 2013, 6:11pm

Post #34 of 34 (94 views)
Shortcut
It's strange... [In reply to] Can't Post

The clip about Thorin, Fili and Kili is the same that XBox posted on Youtube. That XBox SmartGlass Exclusive thingy. Maybe the other ones are the rest of their exclusive content...?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.