Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How big is Smaug?

BeornBerserker
Lorien

May 11 2013, 2:09pm

Post #1 of 11 (651 views)
Shortcut
How big is Smaug? Can't Post

Interesting analysis. Somewhere in that size range would have been my guess. It will be interesting to see how close they actually were in their estimation.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/05/11/71530-analysis-just-how-big-is-jacksons-smaug/

Skaan
Lorien

May 11 2013, 2:29pm

Post #2 of 11 (359 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's conversation with Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Will be a sight to beholdSmile I'm really curious to how they will play out this scene. The size difference between the two can make for some very iconic and extraordinary scenes if they do it right.

Kullervo
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 2:58pm

Post #3 of 11 (311 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

how the exact measurement of the head was done? We never see the proportions of Smaug's eye to his head size. The article itself states that eyeball sizes vary in the animal kingdom (elephant has the same size eye as a horse and giant squid has a larger eye than a blue whale). If the proportions were just an estimate, how did they arrive to such exact number for Smaug's head?

Otherwise, interesting read. And that picture of Bilbo and Smaug sure gives a great idea of the gigantic nature of Smaug.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

May 11 2013, 3:10pm

Post #4 of 11 (301 views)
Shortcut
Good Work [In reply to] Can't Post

That was some cool analysis you did.

I think you are right, this could live up to exceed riddles in the dark. I think Smaug is the only villain I ever read as a kid that I liked. He isn't evil in the way the Balrog or Sauron is. Dragons in Tolkien Lore are the most interesing creatures that are servants of the enemy because they really seem more to be servants of themselves. Smaug isn't obsessed with total domination or subjugating the free peoples, just his hoard a full belly and rightful respect of his magnificence. He is greedy, wrathful, vain and arrogant but he has a sense of humor and curiosity.

Of course his physical aspect will be awesome and I can't wait to see that too. Balrogs were Morgoth's servants to dominate through terror and dominance but Dragons seemed to be his Nuclear Option. Glaurung never seemed to follow Morgoth's plans the way he wanted and I like the idea that Dragons as creations to be a force of nature, were just as unpredictable and undependable to Morgoth as would be a force of nature.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 11 2013, 3:30pm

Post #5 of 11 (292 views)
Shortcut
I believe they basically made [In reply to] Can't Post

a "panoramic photo" of Smaug's whole head by compositing all the frames from the camera pan from nostril to eye in AUJ.

Kullervo
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 3:42pm

Post #6 of 11 (270 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

But we still don't know how close to the end of his snout the nostrils are, or how far from the back of his head his eyeball is. Anyway, it's a great article, and coodoes to the writer for all the work put in to it. It gives a very good estimation of Smaug's size. Very interesting read and the conclusion (even if it is just an estimation) seems very plausible.

I can't wait to see Smaug's reveal, and seeing how well they handled the Ridlles scene in AUJ imo, it seems the conversation with Bilbo and Smaug could be the highlight of the whole trilogy.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 11 2013, 6:11pm

Post #7 of 11 (215 views)
Shortcut
Pretty Darn Big [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug is going to be huge because we all know he is.. The dragon is the centerpiece of DOS or should be so 60m sounds like a low end estimate.

Having said that we are back to the question "How can a tiny black arrow kill something that big" even if the arrow in quesiton was forged under the mountain?

Timdalf
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 8:09pm

Post #8 of 11 (191 views)
Shortcut
Does it come Smaug-sized? [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted this under Smaug the Magnificent thread:

In view of Demosthenes' post on the Main TORn page about measuring Smaugy, let me add:

Since I (like all true wizards who deal with naughty lizards) think in terms of English measurements here are the totals in footses and incheses (rounded off a tad): Head: 22 ft; Neck & Body: 62 ft 11 in; Tail: 111ft 5 in; Nose to Tail: 202 ft 8 in; Wing: 75 ft 6 in; Full wing span: 246 ft - 328 ft; Old Trafford football pitch is 115 x 75 yds. or 345 ft x 225 ft -- Signed: Timdalf

And here is some more stuff on coin size:

The largest US coins now in circulation are the America the Beautiful Silver Bullion 25 pieces at 76.2mm or 3 in. in diameter. A good deal larger by a factor of 2 than the Commonwealth examples of Demosthenes. So the PJ coin is far from unreasonably large since it is 3/8 smaller than this US coin!

And the PJ-Freeman Bilbo is only slightly less than 17 of these coins tall at his 50 inches..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coins_of_the_United_States_dollar

Timothy Fisher alias "Timdalf"

"... The Word of God Himself, He, indeed, assumed humanity that we might become as God..." St. Athanasius of Alexandria "On the Incarnation"

The fear of the end is the source of all lovelessness. Richard Wagner's Letters

Saruman: Can we not have peace, you and I?
King Theoden: We shall have peace. (pause) When you answer for the burning of the Westfold. And the children that lie dead there. We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the Hornburg are avenged. When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows, we shall have peace. PJ & Tolkien - "The Return of the King"

Frodo: It is a pity Bilbo did not kill Gollum when he had the chance.
Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? (Frodo frowns.) Do not be so eager to deal out death in judgment, even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Frodo: I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given us. There are other forces at work in the world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. PJ & Tolkien - "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 12 2013, 5:27am

Post #9 of 11 (130 views)
Shortcut
The Secret Door [In reply to] Can't Post

Cant recall 100% if memory serves it was 5 foot high and wide enough for 3 Dwarves ... say 18 inches each wide to walk abreast for 4 and 1/2 to 5 feet wide. When Smaug tried to cook Bilbo it said he could only get one nostril or his snout in to shoot fire which would give him a nostril of roughly 3 feet in radius and go from there.

I am 6 foot 4 inches (76 inches) and my nostril is about 1/4 inch radius ... 76 x 4 = 304 ie roughly 300 times

using that scaling 300 x 3 ... Smaug could be 900 feet long

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

burgahobbit
Rohan

May 14 2013, 1:20am

Post #10 of 11 (29 views)
Shortcut
Interesting stuff guys! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice! When I saw that picture Skaan posted I was shocked at the size, but from your post it looks like the movie Smaug may actually be smaller than the book Smaug. Wow! This is incredible! Thanks for all the math and photoshop work everyone!

burgahobbit
Rohan

May 14 2013, 1:21am

Post #11 of 11 (36 views)
Shortcut
The one problem may be [In reply to] Can't Post

That for the next movie they can make Smaug however they want to, it doesn't have to line up with AUJ at all. Just like Gollum changed a lot from FOTR to TTT, they could make Smaug a lot smaller and hardly anyone but us would notice how much bigger he was in this shot. What I'm trying to say is that the filmmakers may not have even thought about how big the coins should be compared to Smaug and so they can play with it however they want to for the next film. But I hope they had it all planned out and that they will keep it like this, it would be awesome! Smile

"I have found it is in the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keep the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid, and he gives me courage." - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir. You are not alone. If ever you should need my help, I will come." -Lady Galadriel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.