Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Inspiration for Ralph Bakshi´s Lord of the Rings technique

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 11 2013, 2:08pm

Post #1 of 9 (173 views)
Shortcut
Inspiration for Ralph Bakshi´s Lord of the Rings technique Can't Post

I saw this video from a Spanish- German band called Los Bravos and a friend told me that this provided Ralph Bakshi an inspiration for his technique used in LOTR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eb7aRuUnBc0#!

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

May 12 2013, 5:08am

Post #2 of 9 (86 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

This technique is called rotoscoping ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscoping ) It looks like it was fairly popular back then. It says that The Beatles' Yellow Submarine was also rotoscoped, and both Yellow Submarine and Bring A Little Lovin' were made in 1968. I wonder who influenced whom or if it was just a coincidence. It would be interesting to know if one or the other -or both- inspired Bakshi.

I thought the rotoscoped scenes of the Ringwraiths were especially cool. In fact, those scenes are about all I remembered from that version of LOTR. I was fairly young when it came out and not that interested, but those Ringwraiths really scared me and made a lasting impression.Shocked

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 12 2013, 10:07am

Post #3 of 9 (81 views)
Shortcut
Disney used rotoscoping [In reply to] Can't Post

for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and it was invented several decades before that.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

May 14 2013, 2:43am

Post #4 of 9 (54 views)
Shortcut
Rotoscoping was invented in 1915 [In reply to] Can't Post

by Max and Dave Fleischer, most famous for the original Betty Boop and Popeye cartoons. It was used patented in 1917 and used during the silent era in the Fleischers' "Out of the Inkwell" series with Koko the Clown. Disney used it in his animated features, and it had been used many times since, including in Bakshi's THE LORD OF THE RINGS. It's also the analogue forerunner of the digital motion-capture technology used to create Gollum.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 14 2013, 11:58am

Post #5 of 9 (52 views)
Shortcut
Bakshi's technique is a bit different from traditional rotoscoping [In reply to] Can't Post

In rotoscoping, the live image is usually copied onto an animaiton cell to simulate the sense of live movement. What Bakshi would do was to actually reproduce the live image onto a cell and then paint over it.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 14 2013, 1:33pm

Post #6 of 9 (45 views)
Shortcut
thats it [In reply to] Can't Post

and I like it a lotSmile

RachellovesLOTR
Rivendell

May 15 2013, 2:01am

Post #7 of 9 (46 views)
Shortcut
I'm hesitant [In reply to] Can't Post

to watch Bakshi's version of The Lord of the Rings. I have a feeling it's not as good as the live action films, maybe someone on here can prove me wrong?

(This post was edited by RachellovesLOTR on May 15 2013, 2:02am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15 2013, 4:10am

Post #8 of 9 (45 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

there are a few fans of Bakshi's LOTR around and perhaps they'll come speak up for it, but I would say it doesn't compare. First, it's unfinished because the money ran out partway through so the story ends abruptly after Helm's Deep. Secondly, it's got a weird mix of visual styles with animation and rotoscoping and some shots only partially finished. There are a lot of direct quotes from the book, but they often lack any sort of transition between them so at times it feels rather like a version of "Tolkien's Greatest Hits" instead of a cohesive story. And then there's the really odd character choices, like changing Saruman's name to Aruman - I assume because they thought people would get it mixed up with Sauron otherwise - and the clothing. Hardly anyone wears pants, Gondorians wear fur tunics and horned helmets, and Aragorn looks vaguely Native American, while Treebeard resembles a giant carrot and the Balrog appears to be wearing fuzzy slippers. And then there's the really mysterious and bizarre bits; like a carefully rotoscoped shot of Aragorn running....and tripping....and falling over his sword...all in slow motion. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

I would say that it shows a lot of potential, with some good intentions and ideas, but fails pretty spectacularly in the execution. You certainly can't go in expecting to compare Bakshi to PJ's LOTR. They are vastly different, though PJ did include several nods to the best scenes in Bakshi's version - the camera angle on the reclining Proudfoot at the Birthday Party, for example. I found Bakshi to be hilarious and ambitious and awful and sometimes all three at once. I took notes of my reactions when I watched it, and I still have them somewhere. I can post them if you'd like, but if you want to give the movie a serious chance, you should probably not read my commentary beforehand. Tongue

In closing, I just have to say (and people who have seen it will understand)....

"Eggrolls! EGGROLLS!"

Laugh

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 15 2013, 5:12am

Post #9 of 9 (50 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Silverlode [In reply to] Can't Post

But there are certains scenes that I still love, and if you want to its a very primitive view of middle earth. The uruk seem so creepy, dumb and disturbing that have some frightning effect on me, as weel as the orcs, and even the Balrog. And the scene of the pit in the mines of Moria, always scared me a lotTongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.