Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 10 2013, 1:17pm

Post #1 of 11 (147 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

Here's another Book Spoiler that compares an event in The Hobbit Book with the film… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Roast Mutton: The Hobbit

"To the end of his days Bilbo could never remember how he found himself outside, without a hat, walking-stick or any money, or anything that he usually took when he went out… …and running as fast as his furry feet could carry him down the lane, past the great Mill, across The Water, and then on for a whole mile or more.
Very puffed he was, when he got to Bywater just on the stroke of eleven, and found he had come without a pocket-handkerchief!
"Bravo!" said Balin who was standing at the inn door looking out for him.
Just then all the others came round the corner of the road from the village. They were on ponies, and each pony was slung about with all kinds of baggages, packages, parcels, and paraphernalia. There was a very small pony, apparently for Bilbo.
"Up you two get, and off we go!' said Thorin.
"I'm awfully sorry," said Bilbo, "but I have come without my hat, and I have left my pocket-handkerchief behind…"
"…[said Dwalin] "…don't worry! You will have to manage without pocket-handkerchiefs, and a good many other things, before you get to the journey's end. As for a hat, I have got a spare hood and cloak in my luggage."
That's how they all came to start, jogging off from the inn one fine morning just before May, on laden ponies… …What his father Bungo would have thought of him, I daren't think. His only comfort was he couldn't be mistaken for a dwarf, as he had no beard.
They had not been riding very long when up came Gandalf very splendid on a white horse. He had brought a lot of pocket-handkerchiefs, and Bilbo's pipe and tobacco. So after that the party went along very merrily, and they told stories or sang songs as they rode forward all day, except of course when they stopped for meals. These didn't come quite as often as Bilbo would have liked them, but still he began to feel that adventures were not so bad after all."

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 10 2013, 4:29pm

Post #2 of 11 (81 views)
Shortcut
"He began to feel that adventures were not so bad after all" [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the book equivalent of AUJ's "The worst is over", when everyone in the audience, whether they've read the book or not, says, "Not so fast, Bilbo!"

Kaede
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 2:41am

Post #3 of 11 (65 views)
Shortcut
Just after tra-la-la-lally [In reply to] Can't Post

Kinda glad that the films didn't keep the rather 30s flapper tone of these two elves...and Thorin...well, he's much more cantankerous in the movie. (And count 'em: seven exclamation points.) Wink

From A Short Rest: The Hobbit

"Well, well!" said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"
And off they went into another song as ridiculous as the one I have written down in full. At last one, a tall young fellow, came out from the trees and bowed to Gandalf and to Thorin.
"Welcome to the valley!" he said.
"Thank you!" said Thorin, a bit gruffly; but Gandalf was already off his horse and among the elves, talking merrily with them.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 11 2013, 10:06pm

Post #4 of 11 (43 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 1 of 2 parts looking at another Book Spoiler of an event in The Hobbit Book as it shows in the film... for a moment of Tolkien-zen

From Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire: The Hobbit

... "...they came suddenly to an opening where no trees grew. The moon was up and was shining into the clearing. Somehow it struck all of them as not at all a nice place, although there was nothing wrong to see.
... All of a sudden they heard a howl away down hill, a long shuddering howl. It was answered by another away to the right and a good deal nearer to them; then by another not far away to the left. It was wolves... ...Even magic rings are not much use against wolves—especially against the evil packs that lived under the shadow of the goblin-infested mountains, over the Edge of the Wild on the borders of the unknown. Wolves of that sort smell keener than goblins, and do not need to see you to catch you!
... "What shall we do, what shall we do!" he cried. "Escaping goblins to be caught by wolves!" he said, and it became a proverb, though we now say 'out of the frying-pan into the fire' in the same sort of uncomfortable situations.
... "Up the trees quick!" cried Gandalf; and they ran to the trees at the edge of the glade, hunting for those that had branches fairly low, or were slender enough to swarm up. They found them as quick as ever they could... ...and up they went as high as ever they could trust the branches... ...Fili and Kili were at the top of a tall larch like an enormous Christmas tree. Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, and Gloin were more comfortable in a huge pine with regular branches sticking out at intervals like the spokes of a wheel. Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, and Thorin were in another. Dwalin and Balin had swarmed up a tall slender fir with few branches and were trying to find a place to sit in the greenery of the topmost boughs. Gandalf, who was a good deal taller than the others, had found a tree into which they could not climb, a large pine standing at the very edge of the glade. He was quite hidden in its boughs, but you could see his eyes gleaming in the moon as he peeped out.
... And Bilbo? He could not get into any tree, and was scuttling about from trunk to trunk, like a rabbit that has lost its hole and has a dog after it.
... "You've left the burglar behind again!" said Nori to Dori looking down.
... "I can't be always carrying burglars on my back," said Dori, "down tunnels and up trees..."
... ...Dori was really a decent fellow in spite of his grumbling.... ...Dori actually climbed out of the tree and let Bilbo scramble up and stand on his back.
... Just at that moment the wolves trotted howling into the clearing. All of a sudden there were hundreds of eyes looking at them. Still Dori did not let Bilbo down. He waited till he had clambered off his shoulders into the branches, and then he jumped for the branches himself. Only just in time! A wolf snapped at his cloak as he swung up, and nearly got him. In a minute there was a whole pack of them yelping all round the tree and leaping up at the trunk...
... ...But even the wild Wargs (for so the evil wolves were named) cannot climb trees. For a time they were safe. Luckily it was warm and not windy. Trees are not very comfortable to sit in for long at any time...
... ...The Wargs and the goblins often helped one another in wicked deeds.... ...Sometimes [goblins] rode on wolves like men do on horses... ...The Wargs had come to meet the goblins and the goblins were late. The reason, no doubt, was the death of the Great Goblin, and all the excitement caused by the dwarves and Bilbo and the wizard, for whom they were probably still hunting...
... ...the Wargs had no intention of going away and letting the people up the trees escape, at any rate not until morning. And long before that, they said, goblin soldiers would be coming down from the mountains; and goblins can climb trees, or cut them down..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 11 2013, 10:08pm

Post #5 of 11 (31 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* Good Catch! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 11 2013, 10:11pm

Post #6 of 11 (48 views)
Shortcut
I found it funny [In reply to] Can't Post

that, in the film, the dwarves were partying and having more fun than the elves! Yeah... no tra-la-la-lally was just fine with me!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 12 2013, 1:16pm

Post #7 of 11 (31 views)
Shortcut

Here's part 2 of 2 parts looking at another Book Spoiler of an event in The Hobbit Book as it shows in the film... for a moment of Tolkien-zen

From Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire: The Hobbit

... "...Gandalf, listening to their growling and yelping, began to be dreadfully afraid... ...he was not going to let them have it all their own way, though he could not do very much stuck up in a tall tree with wolves all round on the ground below. He gathered the huge pinecones from the branches of his tree. Then he set one alight with bright blue fire, and threw it whizzing down among the circle of the wolves. It struck one on the back, and immediately his shaggy coat caught fire, and he was leaping to and fro yelping horribly. Then another came and another, one in blue flames, one in red, another in green. They burst on the ground in the middle of the circle and went off in coloured sparks and smoke....
... ...The dwarves and Bilbo shouted and cheered. The rage of the wolves was terrible to see, and the commotion they made filled all the forest. Wolves are afraid of fire at all times, but this was a most horrible and uncanny fire... ...Very soon all about the glade wolves were rolling over and over to put out the sparks on their backs, while those that were burning were running about howling and setting others alight...

... ...The wolves that had caught fire and fled into the forest had set it alight in several places. It was high summer, and on this eastern side of the mountains there had been little rain for some time. Yellowing bracken, fallen branches, deep-piled pine-needles, and here and there dead trees, were soon in flames. All round the clearing of the Wargs fire was leaping. But the wolf-guards did not leave the trees. Maddened and angry they were leaping and howling round the trunks, and cursing the dwarves in their horrible language, with their tongues hanging out, and their eyes shining as red and fierce as the flames.
... Then suddenly goblins came running up yelling... ...Goblins are not afraid of fire, and they soon had a plan which seemed to them most amusing.
... Some got all the wolves together in a pack. Some stacked fern and brushwood round the tree-trunks. Others rushed round and stamped and beat, and beat and stamped, until nearly all the flames were put out—but they did not put out he fire nearest to the trees where the dwarves were. That fire they fed with leaves and dead branches and bracken. Soon they had a ring of smoke and flame all round the dwarves, a ring which they kept from spreading outwards; but it closed slowly in, till the running fire was licking the fuel piled under the trees. Smoke was in Bilbo's eyes, he could feel the heat of the flames; and through the reek he could see the goblins dancing round and round in a circle like people round am midsummer bonfire... ...the flames were under Gandalf's tree. In a moment it spread to the others. The bark caught fire, the lower branches cracked.
... Then Gandalf climbed to the top of his tree. The sudden splendour flashed from his wand like lightning, as he got ready to spring down from on high right among the spears of the goblins. That would have been the end of him, though he would probably have killed many of them as he came hurtling down like a thunderbolt. But he never leaped.
... Just at that moment the Lord of the Eagles swept down from above, seized him in his talons, and was gone.
... There was a howl of anger and surprise from the goblins."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 13 2013, 10:50am

Post #8 of 11 (55 views)
Shortcut

This Book Spoiler looks at the moment when Bilbo and Company first lay eyes on Rivendell for a comparison with that moment in the film... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From A Short Rest: The Hobbit

... "They came to the edge of a steep fall in the ground so suddenly that Gandalf's horse nearly slipped down the slope.
..."Here it is at last!" he called, and the others gathered round him and looked over the edge. They saw a valley far below. They could hear the voice of hurrying water in a rocky bed at the bottom; the scent of trees was in the air; and there was a light on the valley-side across the water.
...Bilbo never forgot the way they slithered and slipped in the dusk down the steep zig-zag path into the secret valley of Rivendell. The air grew warmer as they got lower, and the smell of the pine-trees made him drowsy... ...The trees changed to beech and oak, and there was a comfortable feeling in the twilight. The last green had almost faded out of the grass, when they came at length to an open glade not far above the banks of the stream....
......At last one, a tall young fellow [Elf], came out from the trees and bowed to Gandalf and to Thorin.
..."Welcome to the valley!" he said... ..."You are a little out of your way," said the elf: "that is, if you are making for the only path across the water and to the house beyond. We will set you right, but you had best get on foot, until you are over the bridge... ...On they all went, leading their ponies, till they were brought to a good path and so at last to the very brink of the river. It was flowing fast and noisily, as mountain-streams do of a summer evening, when sun has been all day on the snow far up above. There was only a narrow bridge of stone without a parapet, as narrow as a pony could well walk on; and over that they had to go, slow and careful, one by one, each leading his pony by the bridle...
......And so at last they all came to the Last Homely House, and found its doors flung wide."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 13 2013, 11:11pm

Post #9 of 11 (19 views)
Shortcut
Warm air...smell of pines...comfortable feeling... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and the fading of the green grass into grey twilight...and the doors flung wide open.

The mesmerizing sensations that this is a world set apart, a place of refuge, the entire area "homely". No wonder Bilbo would retire here! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 14 2013, 9:15am

Post #10 of 11 (14 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's another Book Spoiler that looks at a moment re-created for Jackson's film... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Roast Mutton: The Hobbit

..."...Soon it was nearly dark... ...Gandalf was missing...
..."...Just when a wizard would have been most useful, too," groaned Dori and Nori...
......They decided in the end that they would have to camp where they were.... ...when Balin, who was always their look-out man, said: "There's a light over there...!'
..."...Now it is the burglar's turn... ...You must go on and find out all about that light, and what it is for, and if all is perfectly safe and canny," said Thorin to the hobbit. "Now scuttle off, and come back quick, if all is well. If not, come back if you can! If you can't, hoot twice like a barn-owl and once like a screech-owl, and we will do what we can."
...Off Bilbo had to go, before he could explain that he could not hoot even once like any kind of owl any more than fly like a bat. But at any rate hobbits can move quietly in woods, absolutely quietly.... ...he got right up to the fire—for fire it was—without disturbing anyone. And this is what he saw.
...Three very large persons sitting round a very large fire of beech-logs. They were toasting mutton on long spits of wood, and licking the gravy off their fingers...
......they were trolls... ...Even Bilbo, in spite of his sheltered life, could see that......"...Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrer," said one of the trolls.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 14 2013, 9:17am

Post #11 of 11 (14 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* Let's Go! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.