Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
why is it all quiet on the DOS front?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 10 2013, 2:23am

Post #1 of 17 (1880 views)
Shortcut
why is it all quiet on the DOS front? Can't Post

shouldn't there be at least official posters? i'm going to be very upset if the DOS trailer isn't before Into Darkness. It seems that everyone who is officially attached to production has been unusually silent. The film is only 6 months away! Maybe i'm just starving for new content...

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on May 10 2013, 2:25am)

Joe20
Lorien

May 10 2013, 2:34am

Post #2 of 17 (1138 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek Into Darkness is [In reply to] Can't Post

distributed by Paramount. I'd say we'll get a trailer attached to Man Of Steel (and relased online at the same time.), which is distributed by Warner Bros, as is the Hobbit.

And If not Man Of Steel then Pacific Rim (also another big Warner Bros film)

(This post was edited by Joe20 on May 10 2013, 2:35am)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 10 2013, 6:51am

Post #3 of 17 (1013 views)
Shortcut
A Little Birdie Told Me [In reply to] Can't Post

It's taking longer than expected to wash the bird crap out of Radagast's beard.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 10 2013, 7:39am

Post #4 of 17 (833 views)
Shortcut
Lol. Indeed. I am hoping they are not foolish and don't rest on their laurels [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot has been made of them not doing a pitch perect tone with their advertisment for The Hobbit. In some regards, the next films may need it more, as they are something of an unexpected extention for many more casual film goers. They should attempt to expand their audience, not merely hope everyone who enjoyed the first film will be starved for the second and leave it at that.

In Reply To
It's taking longer than expected to wash the bird crap out of Radagast's beard.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Seaber
Rivendell

May 10 2013, 10:25am

Post #5 of 17 (733 views)
Shortcut
It's the deep breath before the plunge [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

May 10 2013, 10:55am

Post #6 of 17 (724 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they're all working their socks off on the film itself... [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll come.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 10 2013, 11:02am

Post #7 of 17 (715 views)
Shortcut
It's still 7 months away! [In reply to] Can't Post

This time last year we didn't really have much to show for it. With pick-ups starting any minute now, I imagine we'll get a lot more details soon enough. News really started picking up July onwards last year.

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

May 10 2013, 12:32pm

Post #8 of 17 (663 views)
Shortcut
July [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea, well the big news this time last year was the switch to three films which gave us a whole load to talk about which kept us busy. Do you remember Greenbook's defence of a trology post? I re-read it the other day and actually emailed him and said that I'd really enjoy another some time soon. No reply as of yet though unfortunately!

When did we get the first real trailer? Was it as late as September? I think that it might have been.

Arannir
Valinor

May 10 2013, 12:35pm

Post #9 of 17 (713 views)
Shortcut
I think they wanted to avoid... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to go under amongst all the huge hype for IM3, Star Trek and later Man of Steel (and potentially Pacific Rim).

Remember, LotR was THE franchise back then. TH isn't, it wasn't even so before AUJ came out, zeitgeist and fan hype simply took a very different route than fantasy in the last years.

So I think it is wise to wait and come out when most of the blockbuster movies have rolled out and attach it to MoS.

Also, you do not want to bore people with three years of constant TH advertising. It loses its impact at some point.

I think this trailer will be very important for the BO numbers of DoS, I am sure they want to make it epic.

I always hoped for Smaug to be some sort of narrator of this trailer, but they cannot do that anymore since this is what JJ Abrams has done for Star Trek, with the same voice ;)

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 10 2013, 5:01pm

Post #10 of 17 (534 views)
Shortcut
I expect [In reply to] Can't Post

That they think that AUJ is more than enough to keep us superfans happy until the release of the next installment: therefore, I expect to see much less promotional material, though there will undoubtedly be more pictures coming out, as well as the trailer. There will also be more blogs, but I'd be surprised if we get more than three of them, and I think that two seems more likely.

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 11 2013, 12:32am

Post #11 of 17 (354 views)
Shortcut
It just might be [In reply to] Can't Post

When we least expect it, and then-badabing! We're hit. Just wait everyone, something will come up. It might not be soon, but it'll come.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

May 11 2013, 1:16am

Post #12 of 17 (388 views)
Shortcut
If I recall, there was a lack of news concerning TTT and RotK at this point in 2002 and 2003 respectively [In reply to] Can't Post

There will be the trailer this Summer, probably before Pacific Rim (del Toro connection, and the teaser for PacRim premiered before AUJ as they seem to think there's a shared audience), and most likely another Comic-Con panel (plus the eventual return of those pesky production diaries). So the DoS build-up will properly kick-off around the middle of the year.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 11 2013, 5:43am

Post #13 of 17 (306 views)
Shortcut
Then you think the videologs and production diaries were a first film only [In reply to] Can't Post

kind of promotional hook? I hope you are wrong, but think you may be right if so.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 12:44pm

Post #14 of 17 (278 views)
Shortcut
Trailers for DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

The first AUJ trailer came out on Youtube, Christmas 2011! I remember groaning about the tease!

Arannir
Valinor

May 11 2013, 1:18pm

Post #15 of 17 (253 views)
Shortcut
But this was the very first time regular movie-goers... [In reply to] Can't Post

... ever saw something about the movie.

Similar to the early teases of the LotR trilogy.

This is not needed this year.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

May 11 2013, 1:53pm

Post #16 of 17 (225 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

up to a point. Getting antsy!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

May 11 2013, 7:27pm

Post #17 of 17 (218 views)
Shortcut
IMO, they'll probably return, but with even less frequency than before... [In reply to] Can't Post

They're going to have less to show us for Films 2 and 3 probably, having already covered principal photography and much of the technology involved, without going into spoiler territory.

IMO as we've gotten eventful vlogs around Comic-Con 2011 and '12, this is where we may get another for DoS (if PJ hasn't decided that they worked best for AUJ only, anyway)!

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on May 11 2013, 7:27pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.