Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Middle Earth Origins stories

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

May 9 2013, 4:26pm

Post #1 of 20 (565 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth Origins stories Can't Post

Hi guys,

I haven't posted in a while, but I was thinking, if they decided to milk ME for all it's worth and make Orgins stories for some the characters from TH/LOTR, who might they choose, and what could you see the basic story being? What stories would you like to see?

Gollum would be a likely candidate, but there isn't really much to see of any real importance that we haven't already seen (the finding of the ring/murder of Deagol). I'd still like to see it though including "hunt for Gollum".

Aragon perhaps incl meeting Arwen, wedding? But it would be difficult to see anyone other than Viggo as adult Aragorn.

Alternatively Sil stuff, but that's less likely due to movie rights etc.

What would you like to see? I was thinking it might not be impossible as they're doing this for Star Wars.

Go!

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

May 9 2013, 6:14pm

Post #2 of 20 (275 views)
Shortcut
Re: moved [In reply to] Can't Post

So it looks like I posted this in the wrong thread.

Sorry!!!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9 2013, 6:46pm

Post #3 of 20 (257 views)
Shortcut
No problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the subject was about Tolkien in general, it's a better fit on Main. Great topic!

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

May 9 2013, 7:13pm

Post #4 of 20 (239 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Entmaiden [In reply to] Can't Post

Shame noone else seeems to think so!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 9 2013, 7:31pm

Post #5 of 20 (248 views)
Shortcut
Since you are concentrating on characters from TH and LotR... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would suggest that Aragorn is the best bet for a commercially viable film (or films). I can easily imagine a film starting with the meeting and marriage of Arathorn and Gilraen leading to Aragorn's birth, the death of his father and young Estel being fostered by Elrond in Rivendell. We can watch him learn Ranger-craft, see his early adventures alongside the sons of Elrond and witness as he learns of his heritage and falls in love with Arwen. We would then move on to Aragorn's wanderings across Middle-earth, his first encounter with Gandalf the Grey, and his periods of service in Rohan and Gondor. The film might end with his reunion with Arwen in Lothlorien and hints of his ultimate destiny.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 9 2013, 8:18pm

Post #6 of 20 (248 views)
Shortcut
i've thought of this as well [In reply to] Can't Post

some candidates, many of which could be interwoven into the same film...

theoden's decline into the influence of saruman; eomer's and eowyn's development into who they are by the time of lotr

aragorn's backstory, and his meeting and burgeoning relationship with arwen

elladan and elrohir's story

what thranduil and legolas and the woodland realm were doing up to lotr

why the easterlings and the people of khand and harad were willing to fight side-by-side with orcs

cirdan -- cirdan, cirdan, cirdan. lots of possibilities here

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Brethil
Half-elven

May 9 2013, 8:24pm

Post #7 of 20 (227 views)
Shortcut
Nice set of idea Mac [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
some candidates, many of which could be interwoven into the same film...
theoden's decline into the influence of saruman; eomer's and eowyn's development into who they are by the time of lotr
aragorn's backstory, and his meeting and burgeoning relationship with arwen
elladan and elrohir's story
what thranduil and legolas and the woodland realm were doing up to lotr
why the easterlings and the people of khand and harad were willing to fight side-by-side with orcs
cirdan -- cirdan, cirdan, cirdan. lots of possibilities here

Love these ideas, particularly Elladan and Elrohir.

Great thread idea BTW!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

elaen32
Gondor

May 9 2013, 8:29pm

Post #8 of 20 (219 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry.... [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes threads seem to take a while to take off- timing is everything I think. Anyway, regards your question, there are a lot of good stories, aren't there? Whilst I think that Otaku Sempai's suggestion re the Aragorn back story is the most likely to be commercially viable, there are other possibilities. What about the back story of the Elven rings in Eregion including Sauron creating the one ring? The build up to this, resulting in the discovery of Sauron's deception would be interesting and the aftermath could include the battles, the closing of Moria and the founding of Imladris. It would also include already known characters such as Elrond and Galadriel.
Others could be the stories of the early Third Age, including the rise and fall of Angmar. What I would really like to see, though, would be the fall of Numenor, depicting the persecution of the faithful and how they came to Middle-earth, culminating in the Last Alliance. However, again, the rights may be tricky. Whilst there is a certain amount about this in LOTR and the appendices, the longest version is in the Sil.

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Kaede
Rivendell

May 9 2013, 9:05pm

Post #9 of 20 (229 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit centered origins for me, please [In reply to] Can't Post

Love all of these ideas! For me, it's all about the Hobbits, though. I like seeing Middle Earth history from their point of view, and we know that hobbits have had adventures before. I might go farther back to the early third age...plenty of material in Appendix A (iii), "The North Kingdom and the Dunedain" section includes hobbits. I think this is when the Shire is settled...Rivendell is under siege at one point...Cirdan, Amon Sul, "Elrond brought help over the Mountains out of Lorien..." How cool woud that be? Somewhere in there Hobbits send archers who are never seen again...Bucca of the Marish becomes the first Thain of the Shire. The whole Celebrian storyline. If we weren't too fussy about compacting a span of years, all the events from 1601-2747 could be story fodder for a whole 'nother trilogy...would prefer books first, films later, though. Who should write? (Not George RR...he'd kill everyone off...!) Neil Gaiman? Hmmmm. Great topic!

Darkstone
Immortal

May 9 2013, 9:19pm

Post #10 of 20 (212 views)
Shortcut
Freight-Trainspotting [In reply to] Can't Post

A group of disaffected tweens fall deep into pipeweed addiction to escape the banalities of Shire existence.

Starring Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

May 9 2013, 9:59pm

Post #11 of 20 (197 views)
Shortcut
Sounds viable [In reply to] Can't Post

But as I said, it might be difficult as Viggo is too old for the role now, and it would be very hard to find someone else that the audiences would accept.

It's definitely among the more viable options though.

Then there is the question of filming back-to-back or not. If they were to film a trilogy of Origins stories e.g. Aragorn, Legolas and perhaps Gollum then it would only really make sense to film them all at once if a lot of the sets were being recycled.

Also, how would you feel about a series of Origins stories? TBH I reckon that it could be pretty cool if Weta did them all so as to ensure a consistent quality as is unlikely that PJ would be interested in returning to ME.

Slightly OT, but do you think that its likely that we will ever get the LOTR Super Edition with added scenes (original and recorded from TH sets), fixed effects etc?

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 9 2013, 10:34pm

Post #12 of 20 (202 views)
Shortcut
saurons ring [In reply to] Can't Post

surely the ultimate origin story/prequel would be of the ring itself.

sauron in goody two shoes form, celimbrimbor or whatevers hes called, dwarf rings, the three, the nine, theres so much going on there it could be a trilogy itself, its basically the silm arillion but just specifically the ring stuff and saurons deceit

aside from that, ive said it before but beren and luthien would be the most epic film ever,morgoth sung to sleep, vampire sauron, wolves, rude elves, maier spirits.. amazing, and it would start with aragorn round the campfire telling four hobbits the story...

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

sevilodorf
Gondor

May 10 2013, 1:58am

Post #13 of 20 (168 views)
Shortcut
The Founding of Dale... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to find out more of that.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

May 10 2013, 12:23pm

Post #14 of 20 (136 views)
Shortcut
Dale might good [In reply to] Can't Post

What kind of story could you see being in that film?

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

May 10 2013, 12:25pm

Post #15 of 20 (134 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

But that sounds perhaps even more like a kind of bridge film leading up to lotr, which I still think could be really cool. I'm pretty excited to see how much bridge material they include in TABA.

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

May 10 2013, 12:28pm

Post #16 of 20 (129 views)
Shortcut
A lot of that sounds cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that one of the inherent problems with all of these ideas is that a great deal of the story would be made-up/embellishments of sparse outlines. The dialogue especially might suffer. The only parts which we can be sure would be fantastic would be the fight scenes as PJ/Weta has never let us down on that front!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 10 2013, 6:57pm

Post #17 of 20 (117 views)
Shortcut
I assumed that Aragorn would have to be re-cast [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But as I said, it might be difficult as Viggo is too old for the role now, and it would be very hard to find someone else that the audiences would accept.

It's definitely among the more viable options though.

Yes. I thought it was obvious that Viggo would not be able to play a young Aragorn--even the character going into his forties. Aside from the brief, unused scene that was filmed with Aragorn reuniting with Arwen in Lothlorien, Viggo's Aragorn just doesn't work in the period prior to the War of the Ring, especially after so much time has passed since the LotR films.

Then there is the question of filming back-to-back or not. If they were to film a trilogy of Origins stories e.g. Aragorn, Legolas and perhaps Gollum then it would only really make sense to film them all at once if a lot of the sets were being recycled.

Also, how would you feel about a series of Origins stories? TBH I reckon that it could be pretty cool if Weta did them all so as to ensure a consistent quality as is unlikely that PJ would be interested in returning to ME.

Slightly OT, but do you think that its likely that we will ever get the LOTR Super Edition with added scenes (original and recorded from TH sets), fixed effects etc?

Unfortunately, I think that Aragorn may be the only LotR character with a backstory that is interesting enough (and commercially viable enough) to be worth turning into a full-length feature film. And, the way I outlined it above, I think that it is doable as a single film.

Finally, I'm not sure that we will ever get a super-deluxe edition of Jackson's LotR with the remainder of the finished deleted scenes, etc.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 10 2013, 9:19pm

Post #18 of 20 (118 views)
Shortcut
I hope (and expect)... [In reply to] Can't Post

to get LOTR deleted scenes on a future release. I don't expect them to be put back into the films, but I do think we'll see them at some point. The original three Star Wars films had deleted scenes finally released on the latest Blu-ray edition, and those films are thirty years old (and older). I hope it doesn't take that long for us to get the LOTR ones, though.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say,
the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

sevilodorf
Gondor

May 10 2013, 11:40pm

Post #19 of 20 (106 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves always seemed pretty standoffish [In reply to] Can't Post

so I really wonder how they came to have any relationship if the the men of Dale.... though dwarves do like to eat and you would assume that trading for foodstuffs and arranging a market for their own products would be important.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on May 10 2013, 11:41pm)

dreamflower
Lorien

May 15 2013, 8:53pm

Post #20 of 20 (78 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see more of the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

...especially Frodo's backstory, from the deaths of his parents to his adoption by Bilbo, and also perhaps Frodo's life in the Shire between Bilbo's departure and his own...

Of course, there are a ton of fanfics already out that that have explored this. I wouldn't mind seeing a version (or versions) by one or more of my favorite ff writers adapted, but in a fanfilm (like "Born of Hope" or "The Hunt for Gollum") instead of by PJ.

What PJ could do might be a series of short films with the backstories of the Dwarves--I know he made some up, one for each of them. It might be nice to see those dramatized. That would be a lot of fun, and wouldn't need a theatrical release--he could put them up on YouTube.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.