The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Those wild people

MaeBeth
Bree

May 8 2013, 5:40pm

Post #1 of 7 (730 views)
Shortcut
Those wild people Can't Post

Don't know what else to call them. Those demented-looking guys riding the oliphants...I don't remember where they hail from or why they're involved. I don't really have the books, (not on me anyway) & I was just wondering about them. In RoTK we see them nearly squish a few of our heros (Eomer, Eoywen, Merry etc) But for the life of me I can't remember what the *brahaha* they're doing there in the first place!Unimpressed

For you & I, there's a new land (Angels that fly)
Sanctuary, my sanctuary yeah
Where fears & lies melt away (Musical tide)
What's left of me, what's left of me now

Angharad73
Rohan

May 8 2013, 6:44pm

Post #2 of 7 (539 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...those people riding/controlling the Mumakil are Haradrim - people from Harad, also called Southrons (so I guess that Harad is somewhere south...). They were loyal to Sauron, basically, like the Easterlings. At least that's what my brain has dredged up from somewhere deep down.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 7:01pm

Post #3 of 7 (504 views)
Shortcut
Your brain dredged quite accurately. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 7:06pm

Post #4 of 7 (501 views)
Shortcut
Hi MaeBeth! Yes, as Angharad says they are Haradrim [In reply to] Can't Post

They started out a friendly, but had s Second- Age conflict with Numenor as the might of that race grew to domination. In the Third Age they fall under the influence of Mordor and thus worked with Sauron in the South. After Elessar begins his reign peace is again made with them. (The oliphaunts live in the southern jungles, BTW, implying a biome different enough to be like another hemisphere.)

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 8 2013, 10:25pm

Post #5 of 7 (666 views)
Shortcut
Arda and the lands of Harad [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...those people riding/controlling the Mumakil are Haradrim - people from Harad, also called Southrons (so I guess that Harad is somewhere south...). They were loyal to Sauron, basically, like the Easterlings. At least that's what my brain has dredged up from somewhere deep down.

Here follows a comparative illustration by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad (based on a drawing by Tolkien) that shows Arda before and after the Change of the World:

Click for image.

Harad forms a second continent, still connected to Northern Middle-earth in the Third Age. Note a strong resemblance to modern Africa. The Haradrim seem to be intended to be the ancestors of modern Arabian peoples. It is easy to imagine other Southrons who are darker-skinned Men of Far Harad.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

MaeBeth
Bree

May 9 2013, 5:50pm

Post #6 of 7 (434 views)
Shortcut
O ok [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I remember something about them being mentioned in RoTK...
Does anyone else wonder about how their culture was? They seem a little wilder than most other peoples...yet it's kinda fasinatingShocked

For you & I, there's a new land (Angels that fly)
Sanctuary, my sanctuary yeah
Where fears & lies melt away (Musical tide)
What's left of me, what's left of me now

Felagund
Rohan

May 12 2013, 12:03pm

Post #7 of 7 (438 views)
Shortcut
the Southron banner? [In reply to] Can't Post

A movie-specific question: can anyone remember if Jackson used the "black serpent on scarlet" banner when depicting the Haradrim army?

Tolkien writes about it in the RotK, "Battle of the Pelennor Fields":

Then he [the Haradrim 'chieftain] was filled with a red wrath and shouted aloud, and displaying his standard, black serpent upon scarlet, he came against the white horse and the green with great press of men; and the drawing of the scimitars of the Southrons was like a glitter of stars

The reference to scimitars hints at the 'ancestors of the Arabs' motif too.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.